Some pics from atop Grouse Mountain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Did another Grouse Grind today, finally got under 60mins (58min 35sec yipee :) ) and when we got to the top we did a little sight seeing. Took these pics with my camera phone. Note the quality of these kinda suck chalk it up to the camera phone and the fact that there's just too much light for it to handle the shots.

955ca084.jpg

94813384.jpg

This windmill / observation tower is a new attraction they added to the mountain this past year I think it provides enough power for something like 20% of the their operations. It's visible from almost anywhere in the city too.

5f09b53f.jpg

This bear isn't wild it's part of an enclosure / tourist attraction they have at the top where they have 2 grisly bears.

0a4ad1ea.jpg

Same for this bald eagle which is part of a "bird show":

b0e96db8.jpg

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Cool! Thanks for posting pics! Did you get any pics from the wind turbine's observation deck?

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Cool! Thanks for posting pics! Did you get any pics from the wind turbine's observation deck?

No costs money to go up. I think it's something like $13 and the view of the city from the base of the tower is already very striking.

You aren't from Vancouver are you by any chance? I didn't think so.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Nope, I'm a few hours south. My roomie works on wind turbines. The view from the top is freakin amazing and your posting it got me curious what the city looks like from there. Is that one of the 90 meter towers?

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Nope, I'm a few hours south. My roomie works on wind turbines. The view from the top is freakin amazing and your posting it got me curious what the city looks like from there. Is that one of the 90 meter towers?

Not quite. It's 65 meters. Unlike the super tall and slender windmils like those used in modern windfarms this one seems to be more special purpose. For one it's much thicker than most, thick enough to house an elevator taking sight sears up to the observation deck. It's still a fairly neat site to see though given it's perch atop of the mountain with its 38 meter long blades.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
I thought my iPhone 3G had a crappy camera! Here I'm thinking it's my monitor. :D

Great pics. We used to have views like that where I am. Got swallowed up by urban sprawl though, thank you very much Dalton McTaxme. Anyway, visiting the west coast is on my bucket list. Great shots. Can't beat that scenery.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
I thought my iPhone 3G had a crappy camera! Here I'm thinking it's my monitor. :D

Great pics. We used to have views like that where I am. Got swallowed up by urban sprawl though, thank you very much Dalton McTaxme. Anyway, visiting the west coast is on my bucket list. Great shots. Can't beat that scenery.

Actually my phone should have a good quality camera, HTC desire 5mp, but it seems it doesn't do so well in these ultra bright lighting conditions.

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
Man, I went there during winter time a few years back. The view was incredible. I enjoyed Vancouver.. very very nice city; but the people are a bit too laid back :p.

They drive so slowly!!! :p
Hmm, maybe I should visit again.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Man, I went there during winter time a few years back. The view was incredible. I enjoyed Vancouver.. very very nice city; but the people are a bit too laid back :p.

They drive so slowly!!! :p
Hmm, maybe I should visit again.

This is possible? o_O Maybe it's all the 2nd hand pot in the air? :hmm:

The driving may depend a bit on where you go, lots of speed demons out Richmond way but yeah otherwise we aren't in a hurry most of the time.

And yes you must visit again! Better yet drive yourself ears deep into dept and purchase a house here!, how else are we supposed to keep this insane housing bubble going!?

Actually the Asian market keeps the bubble going mostly.

Ballatician

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2007
I remember seeing that lone windmill from the obs deck downtown, cool to see what all is around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.