Some people want the ultimate ninja sword...

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
Here is a pic of a custom-made knife that my artist friend, Ariel, in Argentina made for me. Text

I know this might not appeal to everyone but besides computers, I am into gadgets, guns and knives. :)

It might take a movie with a really bad-ass dagger like this to make them really popular but I don't care as this one is in the "permanent" collection.

What really makes this knife so fascinating is how the guy made it.. I mean, he really MADE it. He forged the metal and melted bits of a brass cymbal into the damascus steel which he forged and ground from freakin scratch! Amazing stuff and if you are still reading at this point here is a link to how he does it: link

BTW, much like a custom sword, a custom dagger is not exactly cheap. But sometimes it's cool to have something that is one of a kind! :)

Thanks for reading. :beer:

ruffilb

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2005
Sign me up for the ultimate ninja sword thing.

Still, that dagger is fricken sweet. I've always wanted to forge things.

Trogdor91

Sep 22, 2004
Thats an awesome blade. I'm into knives myself, more balisongs than fixed blades, but I understand your passion for collecting. I'm a broke college student so my best knife is only worth about 150, but I've been eyeing many customs myself for the future when I can afford to blow money like that.
BTW, if you dont mind, how much did that run you?

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Trogdor91
Thats an awesome blade. I'm into knives myself, more balisongs than fixed blades, but I understand your passion for collecting. I'm a broke college student so my best knife is only worth about 150, but I've been eyeing many customs myself for the future when I can afford to blow money like that.
BTW, if you dont mind, how much did that run you?
Well, I got a special deal as my website has a bunch of "knife" related forums and he gave me a special price as he has been able to find a lot of business at the site.

You could contact him and ask him although if I was guessing based on his normal rate it would be somewhere between $750-$1000 for a similar piece as this guy is truly an artist and has a waiting list for his work.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Although I am more of a warhammer type of guy, that is one of the coolest daggers I've ever seen. :thumbsup:

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Xanis
Seriously cool. You have a good friend. :)
I know! :thumbsup: I am blessed with many fine friends. :)

It took almost two years for this dagger project. I wonder what his thoughts would be on his version of a "Hattori Hanzo, Kill Bill-type, Japanese Samurai" sword? I bet it would own and be very useful. That is another thing about Ariel's work... he makes stuff to be used. It's not just trophy case stuff. :)

Hmm, how bad do I need a Katana? :D

ddviper

Golden Member
Dec 15, 2004
Very cool, that is some amazing work. i wish i knew or had the time to learn how to do some blacksmithing and to create stuff like that

-Got metalurgy skills?

Rayden

Jun 25, 2001
Originally posted by: CrazyfoolHe forged the metal and melted bits of a brass cymbal into the damascus steel which he forged and ground from freakin scratch!

I thought the art of making Damascus steel was lost.

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Rayden
Originally posted by: CrazyfoolHe forged the metal and melted bits of a brass cymbal into the damascus steel which he forged and ground from freakin scratch!

It's funny... making Damascus steel was a lost art for a couple hundred years and you wanna know why? Guys making Damascus figured out that you needed a certain amount of dirt/impurities in the mix. For a while nobody got this! :laugh: They were making it too clean! I know this sounds too simple but it's the answer. :D

My friend made my dagger with a used chainsaw blade at the heart of the ingot. That has gotta make some good Damascus. :laugh:

cherrytwist

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2000
That's a beauty. Really inspires me to take a blacksmithing class they teach locally.

(I've worked with metal before, both professionally and as a hobby)

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Crazyfool
It might take a movie with a really bad-ass dagger like this to make them really popular but I don't care as this one is in the "permanent" collection.

My favorite part of the review. Pulitzer Prize stuff right there.

And the blade? Simply beautiful. Congrats!

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001

It's funny... making Damascus steel was a lost art for a couple hundred years and you wanna know why? Guys making Damascus figured out that you needed a certain amount of dirt/impurities in the mix. For a while nobody got this! :laugh: They were making it too clean! I know this sounds too simple but it's the answer. :D

My friend made my dagger with a used chainsaw blade at the heart of the ingot. That has gotta make some good Damascus. :laugh:

Google searching seems to show that it is lost. Modern "damascus" is merely pattern welded. Links to your info?

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Kelvrick

Google searching seems to show that it is lost. Modern "damascus" is merely pattern welded. Links to your info?
Here is a link to an article which details the composition of the old "Wootz" damascus which is the type of damascus that is considered "lost".

Damascus is a looser term than just the old style Wootz(that's fun to say, lol) steel and usually refers to layered metal compositions some of which can be quite intricate and well beyond the capabilities of metal forgers from the past.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
It looks cool, but what do you do with something like that? It seems likeyou'd stick it on a shelf and look at it. I couldn't imagine actually using it to cut anything.

Kilgor

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Here is an good article on Damascus steels link That's a nice dagger, one of these days I'll get tired of folders and move up to fixed blades.