Some of the best cover art I've seen so far..

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/04/media/germany-der-spiegel-trump-midterms-intl/index.html

Trump's been president for two years. Germans still can't look away

Over two floors of Der Spiegel's glasshouse building, walls bearing seven decades of the magazine's covers serve as a colorful chronology of modern history. On one wall are cartoons of an angry yellow-haired man that are so provocative they're impossible to miss.
US President Donald Trump is, on one cover, depicted as an ape-like species in the March of Progress. The well-known image, usually used to show the theory of human evolution, is reversed with Trump last in line, his back hunched and hands hanging by his knees.
Another depicts the president as a screaming finger puppet on a hand giving the middle finger next to the words "Goodbye, Europe!," published as Trump clashed with European leaders over his decision to pull out of the Iran nuclear deal.

derspiegel.jpg

A series of Trump covers drawn by Cuban-American artist Edel Rodriguez for Der Spiegel has gone viral and given the weekly magazine's profile a boost beyond its European base. The daily drama of the Trump administration has triggered a surge of news consumption in the United States, but European media like Der Spiegel are experiencing a "Trump bump" as well.

"It's been a 24/7 news cycle regarding Trump. He is dominating Twitter, he is dominating the news. And he has, of course, dominated our Spiegel Online news website," the magazine's deputy foreign editor, Mathieu von Rohr, told CNN "Trump still clicks, people are interested in those stories — and the same applies to our magazine stories and covers."

At Der Spiegel headquarters in Hamburg on Monday, journalists were working out how to cover the breaking news that longtime German Chancellor Angela Merkel was standing down as party chair after 18 years and would not seek re-election in 2021. It is likely to be Germany's biggest political news story of the year, but on the foreign desk, von Rohr was looking to the US midterms elections next week.

Germans love to hate Trump

The midterms are also a reminder that the president has been in power for nearly two years, and while interest in Trump spiked in Europe around his election, it has remained robust across the continent.
Unlike in the United States, where Trump is a divisive figure, Germans overwhelmingly disapprove of the US president.

Trump_popularity_pew_930px.png

The Pew Center for Research's spring survey on global attitudes found a dramatic drop in confidence that Trump would do the right thing for the world in most European countries, when compared with Barack Obama.
At the end of Obama's presidency, Germany's confidence in the US president was 86%. Now German confidence in Trump is 10%. France went from 84% in Obama's final months to 9% now, while the United Kingdom dipped from 79% to 28%. Yet the volume of online searches for Trump in the same countries is huge, according to data from analytics company SimilarWeb, which shows that Trump was by far the most searched-for person in the world over the past 12 months.

In the United Kingdom, more people searched for the American President than their own prime minister, Theresa May, or even Brexit, Google Trends data shows. Back in Germany, Trump was also more searched for than Merkel over the past year, according to SimilarWeb. This combination of disapproval and enormous interest in the president suggests an interesting dynamic — Germans love to hate Trump.

He has been the lead story in Der Spiegel many times. In one of the magazine's May editions -— with the cover of Trump as a middle finger — Der Spiegel devoted 16 pages to Trump stories, mostly related to the Iran deal. The landmark agreement was brokered by the Obama administration and European leaders, who took Trump's announcement as an affront.

Der Spiegel's deputy chief editor, Susanne Beyer, makes no apologies for the magazine's attention to Trump, nor its unflattering cartoons.

She defended Der Spiegel's most controversial cover, which depicted Trump wielding a knife and holding the bleeding head of the Statue of Liberty, as if he had just decapitated the powerful symbol of American freedom.
That image, next to the words "America First," was published in February 2017 as Trump signed an executive order that barred people from seven Muslim-majority nations from entering the United States.
Several politicians and newspapers in Germany criticized the cartoon as tasteless and violent.

C3wc2bzVUAAvTxF.jpg

"We stand by that cover. It's tough, but we believe that one has to be tough against Trump," Beyer said from her office, which looks out on the regenerated port area of Hamburg.
"That cover was done at the time after the Muslim ban and it is such an outrage to prevent people from entering the freest country in the world, ultimately because of their religion. So we thought, 'as tough as possible, as clear as possible.' After all, that is the language he speaks."

A media 'obsession' with Trump

Trump's travel ban and that cover seem like a lifetime ago, and a dizzying number of political developments have unfolded since. An investigation into the Trump campaign team's possible ties to Russia has produced indictments of former Trump campaign advisers. Several senior White House officials have lost their jobs or quit. Adult film star Stormy Daniels publicly announced in 2018 that she had an affair with Trump in 2006 and was paid off by his lawyer to keep quiet before the 2016 election. There are plenty more chapters to the Trump saga that haven't closed — and the foreign media are covering them all. Roland Schatz, founder and CEO of the Zurich-based analytics company Media Tenor International, points to the media's "obsession" with the Trump story as part of the reason for his rise and his continued prominence, even in Europe.

His company analyzed coverage from 100 global media organizations reporting on this year's World Economic Forum in Davos, and found that Trump received 15,000 of the nearly 76,000 mentions of people in relation to the conference. In second place was the forum's chairman, Klaus Schwab, with just 1,900. He was followed by French President Emmanuel Macron, Merkel and Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
"Trump got almost all the visibility, and that was at the expense of a lot of great leaders," said Schatz. "No one believed someone like Trump would win [the US election], and his actions now continue to give him a lot of visibility in the media."

For Rodriguez, the artist behind Der Spiegel's provocative cartoons, his work on Trump is no obsession. He says he will continue to satirize the president until "he is no longer a danger" to the country.
''There is nothing I like drawing about him. If he disappears tomorrow I would go back to drawing other things," he said. He explained he was inspired to draw the cartoon of Trump decapitating the Statue of Liberty because the president had destroyed his personal American dream. He went to the United States as a boy on a boat fleeing Cuba, and the statue represented a land that welcomed outsiders.

''I don't think the US is the same in the world's eyes anymore to what we used to be. That is the saddest part of the Trump administration and how he kind of destroyed that. That's what I wanted to show — him cutting off the head of a dream.''

Reactions: Meghan54

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I'm surprised by the graph showing Trump's popularity in Russia plunging since shortly after his election. Ditto with it rising in England in the same time period. I wonder why on both.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I'm surprised by the graph showing Trump's popularity in Russia plunging since shortly after his election. Ditto with it rising in England in the same time period. I wonder why on both.

Be interesting to know more about the former. I wonder if his initial popularity was due to a perception that Hillary was 'anti Russian', and that he would have a less interventionist foreign-policy? Perhaps now they see him as a loose-cannon and/or an idiot and dangerous to the global economy? Just a guess.

The latter is clearly the Brexit effect at work. The UK has few friends right now. We picked the wrong time to give up EUing.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

To partly parallel what pmv said: Russians liked Trump because it sounded like he'd be a Putin stooge, but they didn't know much else about him. When he took office and it was clear he was just a bumbling idiot... well, anyone who thought he supported Russia out of intelligence and empathy quickly had those hopes dashed. And I wouldn't be surprised if many of them realized they didn't have to like Trump anymore now that Russia's basic election meddling goals were met (the damage was done just by getting Trump into office).

As for the UK, well... the UK sadly has a lot of bigots, even if they're not as prevalent as they are in the US.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018

I'm not sure that it's a "popularity poll" in the strictest sense.

If the question is "do you think Pres. Smith will do the right thing?" It doesn't really matter how much the person is liked, it's more a measure of integrity and honor than anything else.

Reactions: tweaker2

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I'm not sure that it's a "popularity poll" in the strictest sense.

If the question is "do you think Pres. Smith will do the right thing?" It doesn't really matter how much the person is liked, it's more a measure of integrity and honor than anything else.

Generally speaking, a good point made about how a query is authored and the effects it causes. I will keep that in mind. :beermug:

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
To partly parallel what pmv said: Russians liked Trump because it sounded like he'd be a Putin stooge, but they didn't know much else about him. When he took office and it was clear he was just a bumbling idiot... well, anyone who thought he supported Russia out of intelligence and empathy quickly had those hopes dashed. And I wouldn't be surprised if many of them realized they didn't have to like Trump anymore now that Russia's basic election meddling goals were met (the damage was done just by getting Trump into office).

As for the UK, well... the UK sadly has a lot of bigots, even if they're not as prevalent as they are in the US.
It's fascinating how our world views are so fundamentally different. You see the Russians installing Trump as president, I see him being elected. You see bigots as the cause of brexit, and while that may well be true (I have no idea), it was a valid vote in a democratic nation. The only conclusion we can reach there (by your logic) is that the majority of British voters are bigots.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
It's fascinating how our world views are so fundamentally different. You see the Russians installing Trump as president, I see him being elected. You see bigots as the cause of brexit, and while that may well be true (I have no idea), it was a valid vote in a democratic nation. The only conclusion we can reach there (by your logic) is that the majority of British voters are bigots.

I don't think the Russians were sure to have installed Trump, but what they were hoping for came true. There's no doubt that Putin and many Russians were hoping for Trump because they knew he'd be soft on them.

Likewise, I don't necessarily think bigots were the only reason Brexit happened, but they certainly played a part -- a significant number of "leave" voters saw this as a chance to limit immigration. So I wouldn't say that the majority of pro-Brexit voters were bigots, but without bigots there's a chance the UK would still be in the EU.