Question Some keys won't work after motherboard repair

vikrant888

Nov 27, 2019
My Lenovo G50 laptop started malfunctioning 6 months ago. It would randomly turn off while I was using it and after some point it wouldn't power on at all. I managed to show it to a technician only a couple of days ago. He first said the issue was with the charger, so I bought a new one but the computer still wouldn't turn on. He checked it again and said some ICs were shot in the motherboard and would need to be repaired.

I got it back today and everything's working except for some keys- F6, 4, 5, R, F, G, V, B.

These are all in a vertical line, so I figured they had probably left some connections loose while putting the computer back together.

I called him and he said that he saw the problem with the keys but didn't inform me because he didn't want the repair costs to go up and it could be that the keys stopped working because the laptop hadn't been used for 6 months. Also that there's only one wire that connects the whole keyboard to the motherboard, so there can't be any faulty connection.

So I have 2 questions:
-Is it possible that keys aren't working because they screwed up while re-assembling the laptop?
-If so, is there any way to definitively prove it?

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
If said keys were working before you had someone work on it then it's very likely they knew of the issue and just didn't want to spend the time fixing it. Keys don't stop working because the laptop isn't used... that's total BS.

Sounds like a lousy tech that certainly should have made sure everything was working while it was in their possession; without accumulating additional charges because their time was being used. Unfortunately, this may be quite hard to prove and you'll probably need to ask yourself if it's worth the trouble. If they are not willing to make it right without charging you an unreasonable amount of money, then you might want to chalk it up to a learning experience.

Moral of the story... some technicians are great and others are not; if your options are limited you should always check warranty status and do a little searching on your own before handing over equipment to just anyone.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
The keyboard connects to the motherboard by a ribbon cable. The connector that holds it in snaps over the cable end, and it is easy to not get the cable inserted all the way. You can find lots of videos on youtube showing how to remove and reinstall the G50 keyboard (this one clearly shows the keyboard connector at about 6 minutes) - as I recall, it isn't very hard for that model. If the keyboard itself is bad, you can probably purchase a cheap replacement on ebay.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
It doesn't matter. No court is going to think a customer will accept a repaired product with multiple alphabetic keys not working, particularly when the worked before the fault.

The tech screwed up either in method or strategy, possibly even buying a used pull mainboard that was pulled because it had this fault.

It could be a fouled or half installed ribbon cable, but those types of things are pretty easy to spot so I bet he checked for that and could not find a solution.

There's no way he should have declared it finished and gave it back to you (and presumably took pay for the repair) without clearly mentioning the keys not working before you were obligated for the bill.

He should now get it fixed on his dime, or pay you the full used value of it if he takes it back and can't get it fixed, or not be allowed to touch it again and just offer you a refund of the money paid, or of course be taken to court if he won't do either.