some jpg and mp4 cannot be viewed anymore

faye

Platinum Member
Sep 13, 2000
Hi,

After installing Windows 8.1 (from 8.0)
some of the jpg can no longer be viewed either by Windows photo viewer or Faststone.

When i open it, it just say, Windows Photo viewer can't open this picture because either photo doesn't support this format .......
For the same file, i can't open it by faststone, internet explorer either.

Secondly, some of the mp4 files are seemed to be corrupted. Only 1 third of the screen area is viewer, the other 3/4 is green screen. Super weirded.

Not sure if it is virus attacked, didn't scan any.

I have tried the "index option">advance>troubleshooting>rebuild, but NO help

Can anyone hint me what i can do?

code65536

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2006
Photo Viewer doesn't actually decode your images--that is done through the WIC codecs installed on your system. It's possible that you may have installed a third-party codec that overrode the default codec, and this third-party codec is having problems. But I don't know how to check the list of installed WIC codecs...

MP4 video is in a similar situation; Media Player doesn't do the actual decoding, but instead relies on DirectShow filters to do so. And as above, it's possible that you may have installed a third-party filter that overrode the default filter and is now causing problems.

The default codecs/filters for images and videos that come with Windows are pretty good, and but that hasn't stopped some third-party programs from bundling their own (and messing things up in the process)...

faye

Platinum Member
Sep 13, 2000
thank you for the input,
is there way i can restore the default setting?

secondly i have tried the "SFC /scannow", but NO help