Some interesting facts you might not know ...

drboogie

Banned
Jun 9, 2000
1.Debra Winger was the voice of E.T.

2.Pearls melt in vinegar.

3. It takes 3,000 cows to supply the NFL with enough leather for a year's supply of footballs.

4. Thirty-five percent of the people who use personal ads for dating are already married.

5. The 3 most valuable brand names on earth: Marlboro, Coca-Cola, and Budweiser, in that order.

6. It's possible to lead a cow upstairs...but not downstairs.

7. Humans are the only primates that don't have pigment in the palms of their hands.

8. Ten percent of the Russian government's income comes from the sale of vodka.

9. The sentence "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog," uses every letter in the alphabet. (Developed by Western Union to Test telex/two communications)

10. Average life span of a major league baseball: 7 pitches.

11. A duck's quack doesn't echo, and no one knows why.

12. The reason firehouses have circular stairways is from the days of yore when the engines were pulled by horses.The horses were stabled on the ground floor and figured out how to walk up straight staircases.

13. The airplane Buddy Holly died in was the "American Pie." (Thus the name of the Don McLean song.)

14. Each king in a deck of playing cards represents a great king from history. Spades - King David; Clubs - Alexander the Great; Hearts-Charlemagne; and Diamonds - Julius Caesar.

15. 111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

16. Clans of long ago that wanted to get rid of their unwanted people without killing them used to burn their houses down-hence the expression "to get fired."

17. Hershey's Kisses are called that because the machine that makes them looks like it's kissing the conveyor belt.

18. The name Jeep came from the abbreviation used in the army for the "General Purpose" vehicle, G.P.

19. The highest point in Pennsylvania is lower than the lowest point in Colorado.

20. The only two days of the year in which there are no professional sports games (MLB, NBA, NHL, or NFL) are the day before and the day after the Major League All-Star Game.

21. Only one person in two billion will live to be 116 or older.

22. The mask used by Michael Myers in the original "Halloween" was actually a Captain Kirk mask painted white.

23. If you put a raisin in a glass of champagne, it will keep floating to the top and sinking to the bottom.

24. Snails can sleep for 3 years without eating

25. Actor Tommy Lee Jones and vice-president Al Gore were freshman roommatesat Harvard.

26. The fingerprints of koala bears are virtual indistinguishable from those of humans, so much so that they could be confused at a crime scene.

27. Months that begin on a Sunday will always have a "Friday the 13th."

28. The man, who plays Lt. Commander Montgomery Scott on Star Trek, is missing the entire middle finger of his right hand.

29. The Eisenhower interstate system requires that one mile in every five must be straight. These straight sections are usable as airstrips in times of war or other emergencies.

30. There are 293 ways to make change for a dollar.

31. All of the clocks in the movie "Pulp Fiction" are stuck on 4:20.

WombatWoman

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2000
The pangram in #9, while amusing, is not the best, in my opinion. When testing a new keyboard, I like to type this one:

Pack my box with five dozen liquor jugs.

It contains all the letters of the English alphabet, too, but I find it funnier than the quick brown fox.

Some other nice pangrams:

Waltz, nymph, for quick jigs vex Bud.

Sphinx of black quartz, judge my vow.

Crazy Fredericka bought many very exquisite opal jewels.

How razorback-jumping frogs can level six piqued gymnasts!

Jaded zombies acted quaintly but kept driving their oxen forward.

Six big juicy steaks sizzled in a pan as five workmen left the quarry.

Will Major Douglas be expected to take this true-false quiz very soon?

The juke box music puzzled a gentle visitor from a quaint valley town.

Just work for improved basic techniques to maximize your typing skill.

Sixty zippers were quickly picked from the woven jute bag.

A mad boxer shot a quick, gloved jab to the jaw of his dizzy opponent.

We promptly judged antique ivory buckles for the next prize.

Ebenezer unexpectedly bagged two tranquil aardvarks with his jiffy vacuum cleaner.

King Alexander was just partly overcome after quizzing Diogenes in his tub.

The July sun caused a fragment of black pine wax to ooze on the velvet quilt.

Two hardy boxing kangaroos jet from Sydney to Zanzibar on quicksilver pinions.

No kidding, Lorenzo called off his trip to visit Mexico City just because they told him the conquistadores were extinct.

Forsaking monastic tradition, twelve jovial friars gave up their vocation for a questionable existence on the flying trapeze.

Jelly-like above the high wire, six quaking pachyderms kept the climax of the extravaganza in a dazzling state of flux.

Back in my quaint garden, jaunty zinnias vie with flaunting phlox.

The sex life of the woodchuck is a provocative question for most vertebrate zoology majors.

...And here is a pangram that is also a palindrome:

Oh, wet Alex, a jar, a i love you! Up, disk, curve by! Man Oz, Iraq, Arizona, my Bev? Ruck's id-pug, a far Ajax, elate? Who?

element

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood? uhh wait no thats a tongue twister.....now how do I untwist it?

kamiam

Banned
Dec 12, 1999
Ceaser was not a king,I believe he was an emperor...please correct me if I am wrong:D

He'd chuck all the wood that a woodchuck could,if a woodchuck could chuck wood:Q

drboogie

Banned
Jun 9, 2000
Caesar was neither a king nor an emperor, he was a statesman. He was elected to his fifth consulship in 44 B.C. This same year he also became dictator for life and was assassinated.

brandc

Nov 28, 1999
In 1781, the community of Los Angeles, California, was founded by Spanish settlers and named "El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de los Angeles de Porciuncula."

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
In Orlando, FL, you can register for a panhandling permit. You can actually beg officially and legally. But it requires you to fill all questions on the application including the part where it says address and you are prohibited to beg around bus stations, sporting arenas, ATM machines and parks.

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000

<< 31. All of the clocks in the movie &quot;Pulp Fiction&quot; are stuck on 4:20. >>

This is wrong.I heard this years ago and proceeded to go home and watch the movie to check.Alot of them are but not all of them.

Still a great movie though.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
Add on to number 2:

Cleopatra used to have parties where they would dissolve giant pearls in vinegar as drink.

kamiam

Banned
Dec 12, 1999

<< pearls melt in vinegar >>

don't forget...pennies will &quot;melt&quot; in coca-cola...think about that next time you drink 1!:Q

rc5

Platinum Member
Oct 13, 1999
Actually, peals will turn to dusts in several tens of years. That's why you never saw ancient peals.

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
#25 is responsible for the clinton administrations relationship to hollywood. Al gore is suck because he promoted the millenium copyright bill which can be attributed to his relationship to the MPAA.

Prince of Persia

Oct 10, 1999
The one about the ducks quack not echoing is very mind boggling. Does anyone know why this doesn't happen? I'm really curios about it.

chipbgt

Banned
Nov 30, 1999
ya gotta love the straight dope...I was justa bout to send that question in when you linked it =)