Some good news from Al Jazeera

Bite

Apr 14, 2001
From Al Jazeera:

Former Iraqi police volunteer to bring some order to Baghdad

Former Iraqi police officers have offered their services to US troops in Baghdad, keen to co-operate in restoring a semblance of order, Al Jazeera correspondents confirm.

One of the officers said, ?I?ve been a captain since 1985. I was one among those who were forced by the criminal Ali Hassan Al Majid to serve at the police Directorate-General. I guess that we, the Iraqi police officers, can restore security in the city within 72 hours, if the coalition forces provide us with badges, cars and loudspeakers.?

Baghdad needs someone to take control of policing

The officer added, ?The police are against the criminal Saddam Hussein. The police institute was despised by the Government. The criminal Saddam was supporting intelligence, special forces, military intelligence and his party?s militias only. The police were treated with indifference. Each police directorate only ever had one car. We are ready to shoulder our responsibility if the coalition forces help us by supplying us with cars and badges. The security will prevail within 72 hours....?

Another retired officer said, ?The former government is over. Now we are living in a state of chaos and looting. We, the retired police officers, for the sake of our nation and the protection of our people, volunteer to preserve our country and the people and their properties. We pledge a quick return of security if we get arms, cars, equipment and other sorts of assistance from the coalition forces. We can restore security in Baghdad if we get assistance.?

Brigadier General Mohammed Bandar pleaded for more volunteers to step forward, and for an end to the looting.

?I call on brother citizens through Al Jazeera, to end the chaos and looting. These are not the characteristics of the honorable Iraqis. Armed criminals are now free in the streets. I urge them to arrest those criminals who steal the state?s property and hospitals. I also call on the police and Coalition Forces to get involved to end this ordeal.?

Al Jazeera

Text

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Very good to see this. I hope the coalition forces are able to give them the necessary help. We need people, the Iraqis, on the street to help restore the general order and it will be a very good start towards mutual cooperation with Iraq by working at establishing a police force. We need to bring normalization and safety back to the people as quickly as possible, and stir up feelings of cooperation where we can. The sooner we can restore peace and get services and hospitals up, running and secure, the better it will be for all parties involved.