Some free nostalgia: Battlefield 1942

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
With the upcoming release of BF1 I cannot forget one of my favorite games of all time: BF1942. BF1 might not ever have been developed if not for the success of earlier games such as the BF1942 series.

I searched the forums and came up empty so I thought that I would share this. Just a few years ago Origin released BF 1942 for free ... but now it is considered abandonware. If you've ever played, or wished that you had then may I suggest that you give it a try. You can download the following games for free at BF1942mods: BF1942, BF Secret Weapons of WW II, and BF 1942: The Road to Rome. I've tried the original ... it works just fine with no DRM or protection, just click and play.

http://1942mods.com/downloads/battlefield1942/

Enjoy ...

Reactions: Rebello

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I played the crap out of this game, as well as a mod that allowed you to play as a car on a track. The only goal was to get to the end of the track which was very difficult. Those were the days... had no idea it was free now!

Rebello

Jul 11, 2016
Thank you for this good information. Very usefull.:) Its the best online game ever asnd one of the good old games you can play immediately online. Because you dont nered a account or another programm to start the game. Its easy online gaming we missing today. They still modding at this game. Good to see that game keep to stayin alive!

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I loved either sitting in a turret on a ship or one of the few artillery tanks and lobbing shells where the scout spotted for me. Found that to be quite fun when you managed to lock onto an enemy group.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Nice, I have the original CD's somewhere. Also a nice fast download.

I have the CDs as well. They are now permanently stored in my "treasure chest". With these files they need not be subject to damage.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
This is (opinion) the best Online mulitplayer FPS ever made. It had the right mix of classes that worked together, no wasted or useless stuff like so many have now, easy to use tanks/jeeps/ planes/ships. Well maybe the SUB was too slow. the community was excellent for the most part (the dipshits who would shoot planes if another user got to them before them could be a problem). there was so much done correct the few failings didn't matter to much. I must admit i was extremely disappointed when they made tank shots not kill a FLYING plane in one shot, but 3!!!!!!! I had so much fun shooting planes with my tank. I guess it was all the stupidity of teams (tankers) destroying there own planes , one shot, took longer to kill with 3. There wasnt much in that game that wasnt fun, AA guns, flying backseat in the 2 man planes (and para-shooting onto enemy aircraft carriers and murdering pilots till they figured it out). SO there is still a few servers running with people?

Mandres

Jun 8, 2011
Nostalgia :)

I remember playing the beta/demo for this for the first time back in 2002. The graphics and UI were a little rough compared to other games at the time, and my first impression was "ugh, what is this?".

But it only took like 10 minutes to realize just what an amazing accomplishment BF1942 was. I played the demo for hundreds and hundreds of hours, then the full game + mods (Desert Combat!) for years afterwards. It was definitely one of the most important and definitive multiplayer PC games of all time, and it came out of nowhere from a tiny, no-name dev team in Sweden.

Rebello

Jul 11, 2016
This Download is ver amazing. It open the door to play Desert COmbat and Forgotten Hope 0.7 and many mods more back online.:) This game is for free, you make a good deal, if do you got it from the Download link.;) Works fine on Windows 7 - 8 - 10 Systems.;-)