Some dude posted his favorite DOS games.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
OH yeah, for the Ngage. Almost made me wanna buy an Ngage. Actually had quite a few good titles.
But that was before the iPhone existed.

JoetheLion

Nov 8, 2012
Fun fact - there were only two direct sequels to Arena......Daggerfall and Morrowwind; rest were spinoffs; or chapter spin offs.......
Oblivion and now Skyrim - again chapter spin offs not direct sequels......:)

What makes you think that Oblivion and Skyrim are just spin offs?

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Surprised they missed Star Flight/Star Flight 2. Then again, that list could almost be a grass-roots Good Olde Games marketing scheme, with only a handful of those titles not available (MW/MW2, and any Lucas Arts titles are the only ones I can think of that are missing).

That said, I think I owned about 1/4 of the ones on that list. I have to say that it is pretty darn close to the definitive list of good PC games of the late 80's to mid 90's.

acheron

Diamond Member
May 27, 2008
This is a fantastic list. I miss DOS games. So much more creative than what we get now.

Obie327

Mar 25, 2013
One of my old time favorites for dos is Privateer. It's a cool space game. I would get three missions from base that I was at and then collect to upgrade my ship for speed weapons or storage. Getting the centurion ship with extra torpedo bays/guns or more powerful shields. Pretty tough space battles that I remember. Love it! :)

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
Finally someone else who's played Wacky Wheels? I played that so much as a kid. The demo from my shareware CD that it. ;)

acheron

Diamond Member
May 27, 2008
Finally someone else who's played Wacky Wheels? I played that so much as a kid. The demo from my shareware CD that it. ;)

I played Wacky Wheels a ton. One of the first games I regularly played over a modem.

MeldarthX

Golden Member
May 8, 2010
Redguard was pretty good for what it was...but only 2 hours long. i bought it on Friday, and was finished by Friday night.

Battlespire was just....ungh

And yeah, I've never heard of Shadowkey

hehe like I said most didn't know about shadowkey - we'll see what the next one is after skyrim.....

spin off chapter or direct sequel :) daggerfall was bad ass - as you could be a vampyre and a werewolf at the same time .......:) lead to some very interesting powers......night time and a full moon; on a horse......you were flying while riding on the horse and tormenting villagers as you did dive bombs :D yes I had one of my characters completely evil and screwed up :D

DefDC

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2003
How did the "Gold Box" D&D games get left off this list. WAY ahead of their time. I wouldn't mind seeing a reboot of this series. In fact, Bards Tale and Eye of the Beholder/Dungeon Master should have made an appearance.

I played 31 of these games. Such great stuff. It's amazing to see Wolf3d compared to a Bioshock: Infinite and see what 21 years has done.

MeldarthX

Golden Member
May 8, 2010
What makes you think that Oblivion and Skyrim are just spin offs?

They are - they are chapter spin offs; not direct sequels....;)

They are still part of the main story line :) Though Oblivion had a couple games under that name also as you TES Travels Oblivion....but can be counted far more as a sequel persay than say Redguard

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls_IV:_Oblivion

Oblivion is set after the events of The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, though it is not a direct sequel to it or any other game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls_V:_Skyrimhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls_IV:_Oblivion#cite_note-GSPTQA-24

Skyrim is not a direct sequel to Oblivion, but a new chapter in The Elder Scrolls series, set 200 years after the events of Oblivion.[

Where as; Daggerfall is a direct sequel to Arena; and Morrowind is a direct sequel to Daggerfall......;)

MeldarthX

Golden Member
May 8, 2010
How did the "Gold Box" D&D games get left off this list. WAY ahead of their time. I wouldn't mind seeing a reboot of this series. In fact, Bards Tale and Eye of the Beholder/Dungeon Master should have made an appearance.

I played 31 of these games. Such great stuff. It's amazing to see Wolf3d compared to a Bioshock: Infinite and see what 21 years has done.

I'm playing Bard's Tale - the remakish* on my transformer tablet......its possible the best game for that platform.......:)

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Am I missing something? People are saying games are missing that are on there...like Shadow Warrior and Eye of the Beholder (well, 2 is on there I think).

Anyway, some of entries were whacky...The Heretic one seems to be half about Hexen. Heretic was a fun game for sure but I thought Hexen brought a bit more new to the table. I think Raven split them into two franchises after that even though Hexen was billed as a sort of sequel to heretic.

Selenium_Glow

Jan 25, 2012
<snip>

The list was good, the only thing I was a bit surprised to find there was Rise of the Triad which wasn't that good. And Space Quest is missing!

Rise of the Triad... I loved it!! It had ludicrous gib mod, dog mode, god mode, unlimited bullet ammo, drunk missiles, flame walls, booby traps, and so on and so forth... FPSes that time had horror and thrill, but they never offered the fun of playing a game. ROTT did that. Heck, it even had a missile cam mode.

The newer reboot by Interceptor games is awesome too...

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
I've played 30 on that list.

A good proportion of which was on the Amiga, couple on consoles when I had my hands on one and some on the PC but mostly under Windows, not DOS (was introduced to PC's in December 1996 with Win 95)

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Worthless without Fallout and Maniac Mansion.

Also, I don't think I saw Monkey Island either, need more LucasArts games.

Chaptorial

Feb 7, 2010
Fond memories of.....Kings Quest series.

Same here. As a kid when I first played Kings Quest V with its SVGA graphics I was blown away.

Also Darklands was way ahead of its time and I can remember the game-play combined with the dark Gothic German setting was extremely well done and left a lasting impression on me.

250px-Darklandscover.jpg