Some bikers are really asking for a death wish

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Fayd
Originally posted by: chrisg22
Originally posted by: Vic
AFAIK, motorcycles splitting lanes in only legal in California (in the US). I know that if a motorcyclist were to attempt to split lanes here in the Pac NW, he would probably be killed (possibly intentionally, but more likely by one of the usual cell-phone-glued-to-their-ear inattentive morons).

EXACTLY! But somehow I am endangering the motorcyclist... funny stuff.

maybe because in the inevitable collision between your dumb ass and the motorcyclist, the motorcyclist is 1000 times more likely to die...

Which is why you shouldn't split lanes in states where it is illegal, dumbass!

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Vic
AFAIK, motorcycles splitting lanes in only legal in California (in the US). I know that if a motorcyclist were to attempt to split lanes here in the Pac NW, he would probably be killed (possibly intentionally, but more likely by one of the usual cell-phone-glued-to-their-ear inattentive morons).

EXACTLY! But somehow I am endangering the motorcyclist... funny stuff.

I don't understand why you get so bent out of shape because a motorcyclist passes you in traffic? What the hell is it to you that you feel the need to block him/her?

And yes, YOU are endangering the motorcyclist...and it's not funny at all. :|

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
let me see them splitting lanes in my rear view, i'll put a QUICK stop to that. Let's see how they like trying to see around my huge work van. :D

Splitting lanes is legal in CA jackass...:roll:

The last thing you should do is crowd a motorcyclist trying to ride legally.

Check and see if I live in CA?

And just because it's legal in CA doesn't meant it's not STUPID!

Either way, try it around me :)

motorcycles have the right of way in cali... you will get a very serious ticket if you interfere in any way with bikers lane splitting.. troopers and cops take it very seriously..

and the reason its legal goes back to the days of air cooled bikes.. they overheat in traffic causing more issues so they passed the lane splitting law. and being that your average LEGAL biker goes through 3x the requirements to ride a bike than your avergae moron in a car its not as dangerous as you think.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Mill
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
let me see them splitting lanes in my rear view, i'll put a QUICK stop to that. Let's see how they like trying to see around my huge work van. :D

OK tough guy, I'd like to see you do it to a HA or another 1%er. You better hope you injure them enough so they don't pull your punk ass out of your Van and beat the living crap out of you

Are you a "hang-a-round" or are you fully-patched, RD?
Don't know any personally outside of the gym I go too and I don't associate with them socially if I can help it. Too much drama for my liking.
Seriously, the bulk of HA's and 1%ers are about 65
Maybe in Alabama but that's not the case in CA or MA. Anyway those guys who are 65 didn't get to be that old by letting inverted anuses like chrisg22 fsck with their lives in the roads.

I'd take their colors and burn it in a trash bin, and then spit on them. :p

Just kidding.
I hope so. That said I'd actually pay good money to see you go up to one and joke about doing it.

A lot of them and Bikers in particluar have this image of themselves as bad asses. Some are and some aren't and I'd bet money that even those that aren't still would make chrisg22 their bitch if he fscked with them on the road. In addition if a cop ever sees him pull a stunt like that even if lane splitting isn't legal he could get arrested for attempted vehicular manslaughter or assualt with a deadly weapon.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Maybe in Alabama but that's not the case in CA or MA. Anyway those guys who are 65 didn't get to be that old by letting inverted anuses like chrisg22 fsck with their lives in the roads.

:thumbsup::laugh: Excellent!

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
Always the hate for two wheels whether gas or pedal powered.

*chant*...two wheels bad....four wheels good....*chant*

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Another biker from california. I split at stop lights and on freeways. My prereq is usually under 35 on the freeway and I start splitting.

Thanks to JulesMaximus for pulling up the stats and articles so I don't have to. Yes, some of us have a death wish but most of the time its the stupid ones. If you are part of the comunity, you'll see most of us split at 5-15mph more then traffic and the ones that go at more then that tend to have less then 2-3 years of riding experience.

I've had more near death experiences going with the flow then when splitting the lanes. I've had a couple times where some typical suv cell-phone talking suit changed into my lanes and didn't know I was there until my armored leather gauntlet slammed into their door.

EDIT: Wait, is the OP that kid that thinks his GS is all that and made a thread about killing a civic or something?

bucwylde23

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Mill

OK tough guy, I'd like to see you do it to a HA or another 1%er. You better hope you injure them enough so they don't pull your punk ass out of your Van and beat the living crap out of you

Are you a "hang-a-round" or are you fully-patched, RD?
Don't know any personally outside of the gym I go too and I don't associate with them socially if I can help it. Too much drama for my liking.

I'd take their colors and burn it in a trash bin, and then spit on them. :p

Just kidding.
I hope so. That said I'd actually pay good money to see you go up to one and joke about doing it.

A lot of them and Bikers in particluar have this image of themselves as bad asses. Some are and some aren't and I'd bet money that even those that aren't still would make chrisg22 their bitch if he fscked with them on the road. In addition if a cop ever sees him pull a stunt like that even if lane splitting isn't legal he could get arrested for attempted vehicular manslaughter or assualt with a deadly weapon.

Red Dawn, I am convinced that you just don't know how to read posts. Firstly, I don't know what you are talking about with HA and 1%er, and don't really care. You also have an image of yourself as a badass. You are such a hardcore, ass kicking biker with 38k posts..... right....go spread your online trash talk somewhere else.

Secondly, I never said that I run people off the road, where is the manslaughter there? A cop will not have a problem if I block a biker from LANE SPLITTING WHEN IT IS ILLEGAL when he is many car lengths back and has PLENTY of time to slow down. the only way a biker would be hurt is if he is too stupid (which i can understand if he is doing excessive speeds lane splitting) to slow down. I don't do anything to hurt anyone and if I felt like it would hurt the biker I wouldn't do it.

I don't care if someone is lane splitting when we are at a dead stop or in low, safe speeds. I said that previously. Are you paying attention, or just reading what you WANT to read?

JulesMaximus:
BTW-I think that motorcyclists who tear through crowded freeways at 80mph are dangerous as hell. That is not what I'm debating here. This is normal lane splitting in slow or stopped traffic.

All I have to say is you can't read either...That is what I WAS debating. my previous post:
I've seen accidents caused by morons splitting lanes while doing excessive speeds (80+ mph) in HEAVY traffic in northern VA. An accident during rush hour ruins traffic for EVERYONE.
I never said I was trying to run someone off the road, I said I would block them. If I don't see them in time, I don't swerve at them. If anyone is being crowded by a motorcyclist splitting lanes, it is me, and every other driver on the road. Now if a guy was splitting lanes in traffic at a stop, I could care less. It's when he is putting other people and their vehicles at risk in heavy traffic that I care.
So you are telling me that splitting lanes in heavy traffic is not dangerous for a motorcyclist? I think that is what the OP originally had a problem with, and what I am responding to.

And once again, I don't care if motorcycles split lanes when traffic is at a stop, not one bit. The whole issue was HEAVY TRAFFIC and EXCESSIVE SPEED.

Read the original post as well, he used the term "flowing traffic" and also said it was fine when cars were at a stop.

bucwylde23

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Kelvrick
Another biker from california. I split at stop lights and on freeways. My prereq is usually under 35 on the freeway and I start splitting.

Thanks to JulesMaximus for pulling up the stats and articles so I don't have to. Yes, some of us have a death wish but most of the time its the stupid ones. If you are part of the comunity, you'll see most of us split at 5-15mph more then traffic and the ones that go at more then that tend to have less then 2-3 years of riding experience.

I've had more near death experiences going with the flow then when splitting the lanes. I've had a couple times where some typical suv cell-phone talking suit changed into my lanes and didn't know I was there until my armored leather gauntlet slammed into their door.

EDIT: Wait, is the OP that kid that thinks his GS is all that and made a thread about killing a civic or something?

And you sound like an intelligent, safe motorcyclist. It's one thing to be afraid for your safety and to lane split to get away from a suburban driving soccer mom. I don't blame you for that, but some people take it a bit too far. And at the speeds you mentioned, I probably wouldn't have a problem with that either.
And at stops is perfectly fine with me, even though I don't think it is legal here.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Red Dawn, I am convinced that you just don't know how to read posts. Firstly, I don't know what you are talking about with HA and 1%er, and don't really care. You also have an image of yourself as a badass. You are such a hardcore, ass kicking biker with 38k posts..... right....go spread your online trash talk somewhere else.
Pretty dificult to be a hardcore ass kicking biker if I don't even ride. Assholes like you are one of the reasons I don't

Secondly, I never said that I run people off the road, where is the manslaughter there? A cop will not have a problem if I block a biker from LANE SPLITTING WHEN IT IS ILLEGAL when he is many car lengths back and has PLENTY of time to slow down. the only way a biker would be hurt is if he is too stupid (which i can understand if he is doing excessive speeds lane splitting) to slow down. I don't do anything to hurt anyone and if I felt like it would hurt the biker I wouldn't do it.
Blow it out of your ass douchebag, you are talking about playing games with a 5000 lbs Van compared to a 800 lbs bike on the rode, you might not intentionally hurt a biker but you sure could while playing your BS game of blocking the Bike. Why would you even care to block the guy, to prove some kind of point like you are an asshole with a van and you aren't afraid to use it to endanger another individual?

I don't care if someone is lane splitting when we are at a dead stop or in low, safe speeds. I said that previously. Are you paying attention, or just reading what you WANT to read?
Actually what I read from you is "I'm a fscktard and I'm going to prove it with my post"

MasonLuke

Aug 14, 2006
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor

This is what happens to kids who are raised by the game Spy Hunter.

No kidding. When I see a motorcyclist coming up behind me I usually give him or her a little extra room to pass me. To move over and crowd them is just idiotic, selfish and dangerous.

Every driver should do that. i do that all the time.

bucwylde23

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2005
Pretty dificult to be a hardcore ass kicking biker if I don't even ride. Assholes like you are one of the reasons I don't

Blow it out of your ass douchebag, you are talking about playing games with a 5000 lbs Van compared to a 800 lbs bike on the rode, you might not intentionally hurt a biker but you sure could while playing your BS game of blocking the Bike. Why would you even care to block the guy, to prove some kind of point like you are an asshole with a van and you aren't afraid to use it to endanger another individual?

Actually what I read from you is "I'm a fscktard and I'm going to prove it with my post"

Way to show off your wonderful vocabulary.
Anyways, there's no point in continuing it is obvious you just like to argue, no matter what anyone says.

SamurAchzar

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2006
Originally posted by: MasonLuke
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor

This is what happens to kids who are raised by the game Spy Hunter.

No kidding. When I see a motorcyclist coming up behind me I usually give him or her a little extra room to pass me. To move over and crowd them is just idiotic, selfish and dangerous.

Every driver should do that. i do that all the time.

Unless I'm at full stop (traffic jam, lights, whatever) and the bike doesn't have room to pass, I don't do that - I don't do ANYTHING. just keep steady on your course. Bikes are much faster and more agile than cars, he might have planned a different way around you than you think. Just be still and let him through safely.

Edited to add I stop moving around the lanes whenever I see a biker in any of my mirrors, regardless of his estimated distance. Again, very fast and could zip by you in a moment.