• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."
  • Community Question: What makes a good motherboard?

Some basic questions about converting from Mediabrowser 3/WMC to XBMC

hoorah

Dec 8, 2005
Since I combine downloaded TV shows with cablecard TV tuning, my only option has been WMC. Because I use WMC I've always used mediabrowser for my library of TV shows and movies. I understand XBMC offers something similar, but never investigated it.

I've been setting up some older PCs as just library playback devices (no TV tuning), and would like to learn a similar setup using XBMC that would allow me to run linux as the OS, which helps for older PCs I don't have a windows license for.

So, how exactly do you sort/view/play/metadata your library in XBMC? Is this a native feature of the program itself, or do you need a backend doing the work? I understand many people run plex alongside with XBMC, but I am unsure if Plex is the media manager or just runs separate to stream data to plex devices like PS3s, rokus, tablets, etc.

I like MB3 but plex seems to have more supported devices. I know there is a MB3 plugin for xbmc, and I plan on using that at first and maybe running it alongside some different options to see what I like best.

TLDR - how do I get a MB3-like media library in XBMC?

hoorah

Dec 8, 2005
Wow, now I feel kinda silly asking with how simple it is. I saw so many people mention setting up a plex+xbmc setup I assumed it had to be done that way for the media catalog.

ASK THE COMMUNITY