Some bad stuff happened in the past ten years...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: pontifex
Originally posted by: Linflas
Pick any 10 year period and you can make a list like that. Just a few off the top of my head from the 1960's

Cuban missile crisis. JFK, RFK, and MLK assasinations. Hurricane Camille. Apollo 1 fire.

yeah, i was thinking the same thing.

try and find me a year that DIDN'T have anything bad happen...

the year -2332434BC.

i have yet to find anything in the news stating something bad. well there was a article that listed a guy named "ugher" found flatened in some animal tracks.

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
Originally posted by: johnjohn320
Originally posted by: GuitarDaddy
Originally posted by: ChAoTiCpInOy
Our Generation, those born in late 80's and above, has the most bad stuff that has happened to any generation. It sucks. The world we live in is not the one that our ancestors lived in.

Wa! Wa! Wa!

The events of the last ten years aren't squat, the only difference is over the top media

Most of the things on that list are just stupid. Columbine! give me a break, a couple of EMO kids killed a few people so what. Princess who? The only noteworthy things on the list are 9/11 and the Tsunami

I can't believe you think these tragedies listed are worse than 2 world wars, atomic bombs dropped on Japan, The black plague, numerous famines and droughts that killed millions, the great depression, etc..., etc.., etc...

I agree with you that stating "the past 10 years has been worse than any other" is ridiculous. But that doesn't mean some bad stuff hasn't happened. And it doesn't you mean you should call those things stupid and be a dick about it.

Your right, I was out of line and didn't phrase things properly. I didn't mean that those events weren't tragic they certainly were. I meant that the list was stupid in the context of world tragedies, not the events on the list. It just ticks me off to hear young people talk about how bad things have been in their lifetimes, when in most cases they don't have a clue what really bad is.

johnjohn320

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2001
Originally posted by: johnjohn320
Originally posted by: ChAoTiCpInOy
Our Generation, those born in late 80's and above, has the most bad stuff that has happened to any generation. It sucks. The world we live in is not the one that our ancestors lived in.

Wa! Wa! Wa!

The events of the last ten years aren't squat, the only difference is over the top media

Most of the things on that list are just stupid. Columbine! give me a break, a couple of EMO kids killed a few people so what. Princess who? The only noteworthy things on the list are 9/11 and the Tsunami

I can't believe you think these tragedies listed are worse than 2 world wars, atomic bombs dropped on Japan, The black plague, numerous famines and droughts that killed millions, the great depression, etc..., etc.., etc...

I agree with you that stating "the past 10 years has been worse than any other" is ridiculous. But that doesn't mean some bad stuff hasn't happened. And it doesn't you mean you should call those things stupid and be a dick about it.

Your right, I was out of line and didn't phrase things properly. I didn't mean that those events weren't tragic they certainly were. I meant that the list was stupid in the context of world tragedies, not the events on the list. It just ticks me off to hear young people talk about how bad things have been in their lifetimes, when in most cases they don't have a clue what really bad is.

I couldn't agree more. Many people, young and old alike, lack perspective. As some people have said in this thread, that can probably be at least partially blamed on the media. I admire your admission of misspeaking, though.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: yobarman
"A Decade of News"

Launch Slideshow on the bottom right

I went through the slideshow and marveled at all the tragic stuff that happened in the past ten years. In a little less that is half of my lifetime, I think more breathtaking and incredible stuff has happened probably since WW2. Most disaster man made( or caused), while others forces of nature.

-Columbine Killings
-Princess Di's Death
-Space Shuttle Columbia Crash
-September 11th in NYC, D.C and PA
-Tsunami that wiped out 100's of thousands of people.
-Hurricane Katrina and the disaster that followed.
-Terrorism and all that's come of it. (Train bombing in Madrid, London and the Iraqi War)

:heart:

Let's hope the next 10 years are a little less earth shattering.

I don't think the last ten years have been all that bad. No world wars, no nukes dropped, no Chernobyl, no mass epidemics/pandemics, no world-wide depressions, no planet-wide life threatening volcanic eruptions, no meteors impacting earth, no Al Gore predictions coming true yet etc.

Lot of things happened that are far worse than those in your list: genocide in Sudan, ethnic cleansing in Bosnia, suicide bombing throughout many parts of middle east (Afganistan, Iraq, Isreal etc.)

Watching the Discovery Channel makes me think the really serious sh!t is coming possibly soon; e.g., tsunami hitting the Pacific NW, or bird flu pandemic etc.

Fern