Some American Iron.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
Nice, here's mine.
20190505_160118.jpg

~1905 or so S&W Lady Smith only fires black powder 22. It was my great grandmothers, she won it from some guy along with a Derringer. One of them was a bet in a card game and another was payment for more alcohol when she was bartending.

Jun 12, 2005
Stock image of mine:

1557095264218.png

theblackbox

Golden Member
Oct 1, 2004
WTF? The Buntline should have a 12" barrel. And why is that hammer modified to stick up like a pointer's tail?

this was a gun customized by bob munden for fast draw competition. the trigger pull is a little under 1.5 lbs, and its reinforced to handle fanning, the hammer is made for fanning and fast draw. its a dream to shoot. very smooth and light action, and very quick. with wax, and with cowboy action loads.

on a side note, i shoot cowboy action with my vaqueros, the colts just aren't built to take that kind of use. they are older 44 mag vaqueros, i run 44 special through them, except when i practice gunfighter, i use stout 44 mag loads to control my recoil.
i should post my other SAA, its just a plane jane 2nd gen artillery.

the buffalo bill center has another one with the same hammer, it was a race gun that ended up with his wife. takes a while to get used to the hammer but its actually a fairly comfortable design, even outside of fast draw.

https://centerofthewest.org/2015/04/02/the-bob-and-becky-munden-collection/

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2003
this was a gun customized by bob munden for fast draw competition. the trigger pull is a little under 1.5 lbs, and its reinforced to handle fanning, the hammer is made for fanning and fast draw. its a dream to shoot. very smooth and light action, and very quick. with wax, and with cowboy action loads.

on a side note, i shoot cowboy action with my vaqueros, the colts just aren't built to take that kind of use. they are older 44 mag vaqueros, i run 44 special through them, except when i practice gunfighter, i use stout 44 mag loads to control my recoil.
i should post my other SAA, its just a plane jane 2nd gen artillery.

the buffalo bill center has another one with the same hammer, it was a race gun that ended up with his wife. takes a while to get used to the hammer but its actually a fairly comfortable design, even outside of fast draw.

https://centerofthewest.org/2015/04/02/the-bob-and-becky-munden-collection/
Ah, that makes sense. Most people buy the Buntline because of the longer barrel but many of the early Cavalry SAA's that came with 7 1/2" barrels were cut down to 5 1/2" or 4 3/4" later on. I've just never heard of anyone cutting down the barrel of a Buntline.

As few Buntlines as Colt made I would think purists would cringe at the thought of cutting one down to make a CAS out of it.

I'd never fan my Colts. If I were into CAS I'd probably pick up a couple Vaqueros too. I do shoot my Colts though, except the nickel plated one. It is 40 years old and very nice looking. I think I'll just keep that one to admire and not shoot it.

ColtSAA6.jpg

Jul 3, 2003
This gun is 60 years old. It is a 2nd generation Colt SAA, commemorative model. It had never been fired before I got it but I've put about 100 rounds through it. It's a great shooter. I changed the grips and the cylinder though. The grips were pearlized plastic and looked horrible. The cylinder was gold plated. I think it looks a lot better like this.

ColtsSAA6.jpeg

ASK THE COMMUNITY