some AMD Bulldozer info

jones377

May 2, 2004
Some 'gems' from the article

Currently, 128-bit instructions are carried out by using 32-bit / 64-bit FPU at a reduced efficiency [more cycles needed to process a single instruction]. According to our sources, GPR [General Purpose Registers] were increased to 128-bit. Once that we learned of this alleged GPR depth, we asked does that mean we can, theoretically, call Bulldozer a "128-bit CPU" and is "x86-128" on the way? I will openly admit that I asked such a question without giving it a second thought.

dmens

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2005
epic lulz. reminds me of the console bit wars. jaguar 64-bit FTW.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Is this what AMD calls FMA lol. AMD already has 128bit. 64 64. This is old old BS.

AMD didn't know about AVX than. AVX game changer. YOu actually missed the good news .

AMD 32nm. Very soon . AS I said would happen . But IBM threw in another spanner. 28nm .

I believe Amd 32nm real soon . What IBM says noway . I remember Intel 45nm High K metal gates We have that to said IBM/AMD. Here intel is releasing 32nm Without 3D gates . You were right Idontcare. Yet NO IBM metal gates high K 2 years later. So IBM is a puss bag. AMD would do well to get away from that IP thief.

srp49ers

Jun 2, 2001
yeah, its obvious Theo is a joke. but there were some interesting tid-bits in there.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
We need amd to come out and kick Intel in ass again. I don't think amd is setting on any tech . Were as Intel is holding back tech again. I thought they would learn. What intel is doing with Sandy threw to Haswell is wrong in my belief. I understand intel needs CT to be more widely developed for good results with Haswell . But Bring it with sandy. Force the developers give AMD some breathing room while forcing NV.

Don't ever forget the Big dog in this game isn't even playing. But there awake now. Big time. Just like Suns IP which is basicly being rendered useless with Cuda/CT/ Brook/ with everthing going parallel You need a good software IP in compilers and Intel right now has everbody by the balls. The funny thing is many have better tech. But Intel HAS the Finnal solution and I think many now see this. Intel is actually going to grow its hardware into its software.

What does this mean. It means Intels got some wicked good great spectacular compilers. Which means this. Intels Software is ahead of it hardware.

As intels compiler libarary grew its software abilities grew . In so far as traslation.

What this has done has made intel present CPUs more dodo like than you would believe. Because of Intels compilers are so good intel can now make simpler more efficient cpus. But the road to get from here to there is strange freaken road.

NV is finding that out. NV is jumping in with CUDA only Bold and daring. I do believe out classed also. Time well tell.

AMD I not real sure what to think . But They are in alot better position than most people believe. ATI tech is really good . But Brook is tuff. CL helps but AMD needs sonething like CT. To really leverage their IP. There 1 compiler away from turning this into a real White Fang type dog fight.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Nemesis 1
Is this what AMD calls FMA lol. AMD already has 128bit. 64 64. This is old old BS.

AMD didn't know about AVX than. AVX game changer. YOu actually missed the good news .

AMD 32nm. Very soon . AS I said would happen . But IBM threw in another spanner. 28nm .

I believe Amd 32nm real soon . What IBM says noway . I remember Intel 45nm High K metal gates We have that to said IBM/AMD. Here intel is releasing 32nm Without 3D gates . You were right Idontcare. Yet NO IBM metal gates high K 2 years later. So IBM is a puss bag. AMD would do well to get away from that IP thief.

Nemesis you have an incredible memory, I wasn't about to say "told you so" as I figured it was long forgotten water under the bridge but thanks for giving me an honorable mention. Although I really get no credit as the logic/rational behind my statements at the time were born from facts I knew regarding 32nm but had no public sources to credit/link. Hardly a prognostication when one actually knows what the future is going to be.

"IBM is a puss bag" - you make me lol nearly every post, its enjoyable to read your posts (I drink a lot, so its bound to happen) I wish others took you in better stride cause you are a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma...or was that a nemesis, wrapped in a turtle, inside an enema? :shocked:

When it comes to IBM you can never overestimate what they are capable of doing, provided you restrict your expectations to them doing it with a single sram cell or FOM circuit. It makes for GREAT press releases and conference presentations. Not that their 65nm Power chips are slouches when it comes to GHz or TDP or IPC, but 45nm high-performance MPU tech is shipping when?

It's really sad for AMD that Intel is in the picture, if you removed Intel then folks would see that despite Intel's 1yr lead over AMD in process tech that AMD itself still leads the rest of the industry by a good 6 months or more. But in a 2-man race being second means you are dead last so it has hardly mattered until now. Hopefully GlobalFoundries changes this in dramatic fashion.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
We need amd to come out and kick Intel in ass again. I don't think amd is setting on any tech . Were as Intel is holding back tech again. I thought they would learn. What intel is doing with Sandy threw to Haswell is wrong in my belief. I understand intel needs CT to be more widely developed for good results with Haswell . But Bring it with sandy. Force the developers give AMD some breathing room while forcing NV.

Don't ever forget the Big dog in this game isn't even playing. But there awake now. Big time. Just like Suns IP which is basicly being rendered useless with Cuda/CT/ Brook/ with everthing going parallel You need a good software IP in compilers and Intel right now has everbody by the balls. The funny thing is many have better tech. But Intel HAS the Finnal solution and I think many now see this. Intel is actually going to grow its hardware into its software.

What does this mean. It means Intels got some wicked good great spectacular compilers. Which means this. Intels Software is ahead of it hardware.

As intels compiler libarary grew its software abilities grew . In so far as traslation.

What this has done has made intel present CPUs more dodo like than you would believe. Because of Intels compilers are so good intel can now make simpler more efficient cpus. But the road to get from here to there is strange freaken road.

NV is finding that out. NV is jumping in with CUDA only Bold and daring. I do believe out classed also. Time well tell.

AMD I not real sure what to think . But They are in alot better position than most people believe. ATI tech is really good . But Brook is tuff. CL helps but AMD needs sonething like CT. To really leverage their IP. There 1 compiler away from turning this into a real White Fang type dog fight.

The bog dog is playing, but they are playing the game differently. You talk like an engineer mindset, win win win the technology race. This is what AMD, SUN, IBM, and DEC all have tired themselves out attempting to do. Intel is about generating revenue, profits. If it means selling P4's because most consumers want high GHz labels then so be it.

I never question the business strategy of Intel, first of all we lack access to 99.9% of the information their decision makers have at their disposal when making decisions, but mostly because my instincts (being an engineer) are the same mentality of win by force/engineering/technology on the battlefield as IBM/AMD/SUN/DEC all operate(d) with and look where its got them.

I'm not nearly as financially successful in my life as Intel is in its (I know, shocker right? but its true) so them doing things that confound me and at times make little to no sense is actually something I like/appreciate about their decision makers.

magreen

Golden Member
Dec 27, 2006
Originally posted by: Idontcare

Nemesis you have an incredible memory, I wasn't about to say "told you so" as I figured it was long forgotten water under the bridge but thanks for giving me an honorable mention. Although I really get no credit as the logic/rational behind my statements at the time were born from facts I knew regarding 32nm but had no public sources to credit/link. Hardly a prognostication when one actually knows what the future is going to be.

"IBM is a puss bag" - you make me lol nearly every post, its enjoyable to read your posts (I drink a lot, so its bound to happen) I wish others took you in better stride cause you are a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma...or was that a nemesis, wrapped in a turtle, inside an enema? :shocked:

When it comes to IBM you can never overestimate what they are capable of doing, provided you restrict your expectations to them doing it with a single sram cell or FOM circuit. It makes for GREAT press releases and conference presentations. Not that their 65nm Power chips are slouches when it comes to GHz or TDP or IPC, but 45nm high-performance MPU tech is shipping when?

It's really sad for AMD that Intel is in the picture, if you removed Intel then folks would see that despite Intel's 1yr lead over AMD in process tech that AMD itself still leads the rest of the industry by a good 6 months or more. But in a 2-man race being second means you are dead last so it has hardly mattered until now. Hopefully GlobalFoundries changes this in dramatic fashion.

I LOL'ed at puss bag too. Good times. :beer:

ajaidevsingh

Mar 7, 2008
IBM did help AMD a bit you cant call it a puss maybe a mole....

What AMD really need to do is to position 6 core Phenom against 4 core i7's "After all PhII's are smaller than i7's". As for the Advanced Vector Extensions i know they work at 256 bit wide vector FP's AMD could do a 2 x 128 bit "128 128". Right now AMD des have 128 but its 64 64.

The only down side's are difficult to program and not all that effective or efficient. The true strength of AVX is legacy SSE mean come on converting my old SSE coding into the latest AVX compatible with a few clicks of the mouse and keyboard seems too good to be true, not to mention the fact that future versions can adapt to my original AVX coding.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: ajaidevsingh
What AMD really need to do is to position 6 core Phenom against 4 core i7's "After all PhII's are smaller than i7's".

Tha should be stated as "needed", as in past tense. AMD needed to launch PhII as a 6 core flagship product to compete with i7's offerings.

And when I say they needed to launch a 6core PhII what I am really saying is that they needed to be in a position where doing that would have actually been feasible (profitable) given the diesize, thermals, yields, and clockspeeds of such a beastly CPU.

But seriously in all regards the last place you want to find yourself is in a position where you are competing with someone 4-5x your size in all measures of the metric. Goliath wasn't 5x taller than David, at least David had some sense to go toe-to-toe with a giant who was merely 2x his height.

Where AMD goes from here is a good question, I see little upside potential. The K7 opportunity was a unique opportunity as Intel was invested in making EPIC the next ISA of choice and wasn't worried about iterating x86 to the degree's they've been forced to because of K7. Meanwhile K7 was created not by AMD masterminds (then) but by the ashes of the DEC alpha design teams (Dirk Meyer).

This is not to say AMD doesn't have some brilliant minds working on Bulldozer, just saying the history of AMD was unique and not likely to repeat itself owing to the coincidences of DEC collapsing and Intel internally prioritizing EPIC over x86 in the mid to late 90's timeframe that made it all possible the first time around.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
I can see AMD adding another register for a AltiVec. type unit ondie using 128 bit instruction set register. But not the way this article is written . AMD will likely do an AVX type move . I hope they have the compilers. They will need them.

ilkhan

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2006
I dont think phenom II is small enough, cool enough, or cheap enough to sell a 6-core against the 4-core i7s. It just wouldn't work. Of course, once gulftown hits they may have no choice but to release a 6 core offering to compete against it.