Somber / reflective Billy Joel songs

Spooner

Lifer
Jan 16, 2000
I'm putting together a cd for my friend's wake (at his mother's request).

Billy Joel was one of his favorites, but I would like to keep the mood relatively somber. Does he have any types of these songs?

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
"And So It Goes..."

Although the lyrics aren't really fitting for a wake, IMO - they are more about trusting in someone you love.

Spooner

Lifer
Jan 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Jzero
"And So It Goes..."

Although the lyrics aren't really fitting for a wake, IMO - they are more about trusting in someone you love.
it's okay, it's more the mood than the lyrics

thank you

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
"And So it Goes" is definitely a good choice.

"Lullabye" is a good one. "She's Got a Way" and "She's Always A Woman to Me" are ballads, although they're love songs. I know there are more I like but they're not coming to mind right now for some reason.

Again, these are not really meant for a wake... but listen to them and see if you think they're appropriate.

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
My $0.02...
It will be somber enough ... play songs you know he liked.
That may bring back memories and stories from people who knew him.
Remember ... it's ok to laugh and smile at a wake ... I hope I leave the kind of memories that people can laugh and smile at mine.

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Spooner
Originally posted by: XZeroII
UPTOWN GIRL...She's been living in a white bread world ;)
Are you trying to be funny?

Dude, seriously unneeded :frown:

Sorry, I don't know many Billy Joel songs, but I know that one and thought I'd share. When I'm feeling blue about something, a song like that seems to cheer me up. Sorry.

Spooner

Lifer
Jan 16, 2000
Originally posted by: ergeorge
My $0.02...
It will be somber enough ... play songs you know he liked.
That may bring back memories and stories from people who knew him.
Remember ... it's ok to laugh and smile at a wake ... I hope I leave the kind of memories that people can laugh and smile at mine.
while i do agree to a certain extent, i don't feel it appropriate to be playing happy jingles at a time of mourning.

His mother requested I make a compilation of Sarah McLachlan, Aerosmith, and Billy Joel. I'm trying to keep the songs relatively neutral.

Led Zeppelin

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2002
Originally posted by: Spooner
Originally posted by: LedZeppelin
Leningrad, And So It Goes, and Honesty are three that come to mind.
Honesty.

GREAT song. Thank You

Glad to have been able to help. If you've never heard Leningrad, give it a listen, always brings a tear to this ol' glass eye.