Question [SOLVED] Somehow eradicated safe mode

Korporativ

Dec 29, 2001
I've been troubleshooting random crashes for the last few days, which were ultimately tied back to the bios. However, in my efforts to troubleshoot from within Windows and other sources, I've somehow managed to erradicate Safe Mode within windows. Quite literally.

Jamming F8 during windows boot produced nada.
I tried shift+restart from within windows, and received the blue screen where one would normally navigate to Advanced, and then boot to safe mode. Nope!
Finally, I tried going through MSConfig, and forcing Safe Mode boot. However... it did absolutely nothing.

SFC, and DISM show no errors on the drive(s), no bad sectors from scan disk. I also used my recovery USB to try to repair startup errors, and it tells me there are none. No hits on malware or viruses either. Nothing looks amiss in Device Manager, and no pending updates in Windows Update.

I've clearly bollix'd this one up royaly. Any thoughts on what I may have inadvertently broken, and how to fix it short of doing a clean reinstall?

UPDATE: Noting that there was no Windows config present in MSConfig, I set about checking the drive partitions. Sure enough, no System partition. I shrunk the main volume, created a new EFI partition, and then recreated the BCD file. Still no entry for safe boot when shift+restart, which is odd, but I can reboot to safe mode through MSConfig again.

Thank You,

- Korp

Last edited:
Reactions: knev