Question [Solved] Problems uploading to the internet from bridged router network

loolookachoo

Sep 24, 2020
I'm not the most savvy when it comes to networking so I apologize if I'm unclear at any point.

My current network setup shares an internet connection between my home and office and I seem to have issues only when trying to upload or attach files to the internet from the Home Network.

Some information that I hope is relevant:
- Uploading to the internet (ex. Gmail attachments) from any device connected to the Office Network works perfectly fine.
- I can upload and download large files from my PC connected to the Home Network to the Network HDD just fine. Network HDD is just a normal external SSD plugged in and configured on the Tenda Router located in the office.
- I can upload smaller files (ie. less than 1Mb) to the internet from my devices connected to the Home Network, but sometimes I need to retry a few times before it works. Files any larger than that always fail to upload.
- I don't notice any issues doing other activities from my Home Network (ex. downloading, streaming, online gaming, checking ip cameras).

For reference, here's a rough diagram of the current setup:
Capture.PNG

I honestly do not know where to begin troubleshooting this issue and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Put Tenda router at the office into AP mode.

Make sure all Tenda router/mesh nodes have newest firmware.

Last edited:
Reactions: SamirD

loolookachoo

Sep 24, 2020
Put Tenda router at the office into AP mode.

Make sure all Tenda router/mesh nodes have newest firmware.

That did the trick! I set the office Tenda router (forgot model) to AP mode and tried uploading a file. Worked perfectly! I don't understand why at the moment but I'll go and read up on it.

Tenda routers and mesh nodes are all latest firmware.

I do need to remap the network drive on all the PCs though but that's no issue. Thanks mxnerd!

Reactions: SamirD

loolookachoo

Sep 24, 2020
Research what a 'double nat' is. :) That's what you had because you had 2x routers in series and generally it won't cause problems but in this case it did. Good catch by mxnerd because I initially missed it! :)

Thanks for this info. I'll keep it in mind for the next time I need to expand wifi coverage in our property. :grinning:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
In the networking world, a bridge is layer 2 device and shouldn't cause.problems like you had, but SOHO routers can be weird, good AP mode worked 👍