SOLVED: My Crucial SSD M500 240 arrived today: I have one question

Herkulese

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2001
My order from Newegg arrived today, and when I opened the Crucial SSD I found a thin frame in the package. It is the size of the drive itself, and looks like there is some peel off tape or something on the ends as well.

I went back to the add and see that it is shown in the pics. Can anyone tell me what this thin frame is for?

There are no instructions.
Thanks again,
Roger

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
That's probably a spacer. The drive is physically 7mm thick, but the spacer makes it 9.5mm thick.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
That's probably a spacer. The drive is physically 7mm thick, but the spacer makes it 9.5mm thick.

That's correct. If you are mounting it in a traditional HDD caddy, etc, you don't need to worry about it. My M500 had one, too... ;) Come to think of it, my Intel 530 came with one as well...

Herkulese

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2001
That's correct. If you are mounting it in a traditional HDD caddy, etc, you don't need to worry about it. My M500 had one, too... ;) Come to think of it, my Intel 530 came with one as well...

Just curious: When would you use this spacer?

Feb 25, 2011
Just curious: When would you use this spacer?

If your laptop or drive caddy was designed in such a way that it relied on the thickness of the hard drive to hold the hard drive in place. A thinner drive would potentially flap around inside and stress the connectors.

I've seen laptops where this was a potential problem, but most manufacturers design around it these days.

Herkulese

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2001
If your laptop or drive caddy was designed in such a way that it relied on the thickness of the hard drive to hold the hard drive in place. A thinner drive would potentially flap around inside and stress the connectors.

I've seen laptops where this was a potential problem, but most manufacturers design around it these days.

Thanks.
Good to know.