[Solved]Help disassembling Samsung NP550P laptop

JasonBourne

Sep 29, 2012
I have a Samsung NP550P Series 5 laptop with the following specs :
Processor Core i5 3210M
Chipset B75 Express/HM76 Express
System Memory 6 GB DDR3(2+4 1600 MHz SODIMM)
Graphic Processor Nvidia GeForce GT650M DDR3 2GB
HDD Capacity 1 TB @ 5400 rpm
Sound JBL (with Sub-Woofer)
Operating System Windows 8 Core(Single Language)

I have bought Cooler Master X1 Extreme Fusion thermal compound due to recent increase in CPU-GPU temps. I had upgraded my system a few days ago by droppping in a Crucial M550 256GB SSD by opening a HDD/ODD cover at the back of my laptop. But now I can't figure out how to open the whole bottom plastic chasis to apply the thermal compound.

The bottom has 6 screws and after opening the HDD/ODD cover there are 5 more screws.

So anyone if you do have an experience in disassembling a Samsung NP550P Series 5 laptop please assist.

BTW I tried googling,youtube - nowhere I could find the exact dissassembly video for my model.

The image above shows how my bottom chasis looks like when the HDD/ODD cover is opened.

Last edited:

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
There are screws under the non skid pads on the bottom. After removing all screws on the back plane, you have to separate the top bezel by working around the case with a small flat head screwdriver. I usually start by the ports.

JasonBourne

Sep 29, 2012
There are screws under the non skid pads on the bottom.

Are you talking about the screws one encounters after opening the HDD/ODD cover ?? Bcuz if thats the ones then I have removed every single screw that is possibly holding the chasis together. And about the removing the top bezel by the ports I feel kinda insecure cuz if it gets cracked, then I'm done for.

Last but not least, thanks for the ultra fast reply. :)

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
I'm talking about the three small round skid pads/foot pads located in the corners of the case. As you look at the laptop as in your picture, there are two at the top and one in the lower left corner.

JasonBourne

Sep 29, 2012
I'm talking about the three small round skid pads/foot pads located in the corners of the case. As you look at the laptop as in your picture, there are two at the top and one in the lower left corner.

You mean under those rubber pads or beside them ??? Cuz I opened the screws beside them too.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
You mean under those rubber pads or beside them ??? Cuz I opened the screws beside them too.

Yes, under those rubber pads. If you've got all the screws out, there's only the plastic tabs holding the case together. That's where the small flat head screwdriver comes in.

JasonBourne

Sep 29, 2012
Nope there are no screws under those pads. I checked all of them. I think you are right in saying that plastic tabs may be holding them together. But if I try to pry it open, will they snap forever ?? Or can they be put in place again ??

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Nope there are no screws under those pads. I checked all of them. I think you are right in saying that plastic tabs may be holding them together. But if I try to pry it open, will they snap forever ?? Or can they be put in place again ??

You just have to take it easy. They will not snap forever and yes they will snap back together. You will hear plastic complaining but, there is no other way to do it.

JasonBourne

Sep 29, 2012
Will do so. Lets keep my fingers crossed for the moment.

@MagnusTheBrewer
I will return after an hour. So if you have some time, do check this thread cuz you have helped immensely so far. :)

inachu

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2014
Once you have confirmed you removed all screws then use a plastic shim so you do not destroy the shell.

plastic gets old and crackly and easy to break if it always sits in the sun or very bright light. It should not break at all. I have seen a few that bend but that just means it might let you take it apart 3 more times before it breaks.

JasonBourne

Sep 29, 2012
Well it went all right. But I did sweat while taking off the sub-woofer connector from the mobo cuz its cable is intertwined with the bottom chasis.

So any NP550P owner who bumps into this thread beware of the sub-woofer connector while removing the bottom chasis.

And once again, thanks to the community for the detailed and instant help.