SOLVED: Fix Media Center Guide Listings that show "No Data Available"

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I currently have an older system set up as HTPC with Win 7 and Media Center, accessing two HDHR' network devices.

Yes -- we know that the quality of the WMC guide-listing information has degraded.

However, everything was still fine for showing scheduled programs -- all channels -- until yesterday. It happened to coincide with a firmware update to the HDHR' devices, but the channels were all re-scanned in HDHomeRun setup/configuration. I've done this many times without affecting anything else. And I always re-run WMC setup after doing it.

All my premium channels are "there," but there is "No data available" to indicate programs and scheduling for the premiums and several unencrypted channels coming in through the cable subscription. Some mainstream channels show program listings, but this is unsatisfactory.

Is it possible some file became corrupted? Or are other people having similar problems because the Guide-listing server is "down?" How can I fix this? I may have fixed it before, but I don't know how I did it. Then again -- maybe I didn't "fix it" before. Can't be sure. And thanks.

Additional observation: I was also setting up KODI with HDHR' on another system and Win 10. My plan is to eventually retire the Win7/WMC setup, or anticipate its eventual demise. But KODI and HDHomeRun Add-on with PC #2 should not affect what is done with the existing WMC setup on PC #1.

MORE INFORMATION: After setting up WMC on a Windows 7 installation of dual-boot W7/W10 where KODI is installed in W10, all the latest guide listings are "there" in full detail.

The problem with the ongoing, operational system with Win 7 and WMC is local to the system, OS and WMC setup there. Could it be a corrupted file? How do I fix this? The channels are all "there" but the guide listings show "No data available." Certainly, there must be some folks here who are more WMC-savvy than I am.

Last edited:

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Have you tried forcing a guide download in WMC?

Is this some procedure OUTSIDE of Media Center, through some command line or utility? Because I've entered WMC setup several times to the "GUIDE" submenu and "Get latest Guide Listing." While it reports "success" or "completed" -- no cigar.

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
Reactions: Burpo

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Yeah just the normal procedure within WMC is what I was referring to.

You can try purge the db file next

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-clear-windows-media-center
Yes -- that must be "it." Somehow, I thought I was looking for a .\ehome directory with *.epg files. And of course, one has to stop the ehrecvr and related processes. I'll give it a try. Thanks a lot.

In a side note, this is all just a tad unsettling. The WHOLE PURPOSE of continuing with the 2700K Win7/WMC system was to assure continuity until I'm satisfied that I can use a WMC replacement and continued use of HDHR' devices with premium content.

The latest story about HDHR DVR: there is a Win 10 patch and updates to the HDHR DVR files with a firmware update to the HDHR' devices. Then, I find that only a smattering of SD premiums are available, but with many more HD channels than I'd seen before under that software. I also installed the HDHR add-on for KODI -- not KODI's HDHR add-on, but Silly-Dust's.

The other problem with the successor to HDHR "VIEW" program: the premium channels will lock up after a minute or so, so when I discovered this, "VIEW" was not a good option.

So I go through all these hoops troubleshooting the guide listing problem on the 2700K system with WMC. "Repaired" the SD HDHR' drivers and setup/config. Rescanned all the channels -- again. Now, going back to the Skylake system, suddenly all the premium/encrypted channels are available -- no less than with the W7/WMC system. AND! They behave properly -- without freezes -- which I would describe as a single frame-change ever few seconds as the audio continued.

The adventure continues. Or -- the line from the movie "SEven" and either a bible or old religious literature: "Long is the path, and hard is the way . . . " Or something like that. . . .

I'LL MARK THIS AS "SOLVED" if I can sort my way through the forum web-page.

THAT was ALL that it TOOK! Purge the freakin' guide-listing database files. But I wouldn't have been able to do it without the TechWalla link. I would not have remembered that you have to Stop those related WMC services and processes.

GOOD ENOUGH! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Last edited:
Reactions: Malogeek

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
I was in the original kickstarter for SD HDHomerun DVR and I replaced my W7 WMC HTPCs with HDHomeRun in Kodi long ago for all my TVs, including upgrading them to W10 during free period. I've found it very reliable overall and it's great being able to watch protected channels now as well via the W10 app. My wife and kids all use it as the main TV (since I don't have any cable boxes) and its easy enough for them to use without her killing me. DVR has been great on the NAS and hopefully soon we'll get recording of protected channels as well.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
But we can't yet record through the SD HDHR DVR/VIEW app yet -- or can we? The KODI options use either KODI's own HDHR plug-in or the SD plug-in. With the latter, I get a lot more premiums. But so far it is only with VIEW (or howsoever it is named now) that I get pretty much the same channels that I had with Win 7 and WMC, but with no recording. At least -- no recording of the premium encrypted channels. I haven't even bothered trying recording non-DRM, but I probably should.

I'm trying different media suite options. Just downloaded MediaPortal 2.1 last night, spent a lot of time in the configuration program which recognizes both my HVR-2250 and the HDHR'-s (two). But no cigar. Also noticed that MediaPortal is not even mentioned at the SD web-site. So my next trial exploration will be NextPVR, which is indeed mentioned.

The good thing about being a hardware junkie spending more than necessary on more PCs than I actually need: I can run one system as HTPC with Win 7 / WMC while experimenting with the other. The only drawback is configuring the SD HDHR' tuners on the second system: scanning channels through the HDHR setup/configuration will cause a lockup on the WMC feed. So I just shut down the WMC box and switch over to a spare STB we pay maybe $6/mo for.

Sure. I feel like the 4-year-old who has bent aluminum cans around his leather shoes to clatter down the street on a warm day, holding one of those giant Hershey chocolate bars in his hand, with the chocolate dripping down his chin and onto his polo shirt.

What I don't understand is my fam-damn-ily. They prefer a cable-box in each room, and refuse to feed WMC (or anything else) to their HDTV in that room. Don't want it -- don't care. The only thing missing in WMC is the "On Demand" channels of the STB. And the fam-damn-ily doesn't even use "On Demand."

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
But we can't yet record through the SD HDHR DVR/VIEW app yet -- or can we? The KODI options use either KODI's own HDHR plug-in or the SD plug-in. With the latter, I get a lot more premiums. But so far it is only with VIEW (or howsoever it is named now) that I get pretty much the same channels that I had with Win 7 and WMC, but with no recording. At least -- no recording of the premium encrypted channels. I haven't even bothered trying recording non-DRM, but I probably should.
With HDHomerun DVR (not VIEW) in either the standalone W10 app or the Kodi plugin you can record locally or to your NAS. You cannot watch Premium channels through the Kodi plugin (and never will be able to obviously) and there is no recording at all yet of Premium channels.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
With HDHomerun DVR (not VIEW) in either the standalone W10 app or the Kodi plugin you can record locally or to your NAS. You cannot watch Premium channels through the Kodi plugin (and never will be able to obviously) and there is no recording at all yet of Premium channels.
I call it "VIEW" but it was the latest Win App Store item to which I was directed for the HDHR DVR project -- per the e-mail I got from the Silly-Dust support.

I tried making a recording. It created an MPG file which simply presents a blank screen with either of the Cyberlink components. Hold on a minute . . No -- I'd tried it before -- I can't play back in the HDHR app even though it shows up under "Recorded." It just draws a blank screen. Important for me to note here that this was an encrypted movie channel coming in just fine as a live feed from the HDHR'-s. I suppose I should "try" an unencrypted recording . . . mmmm . . . . jus' a minute . . .

OK . . . . It looks like I recorded about 9 minutes of CNN with Fredricka Whitfield. It isn't Live TV because I can play it back and see CCN's reported pacific time. BUT! I can't find the freakin' file, even though I set up HDHomeRun to record in my F:\Recorded TV\ folder. Nichts -- Nada -- Nothing there . . .

This is something I don't like about the SillyDust "VIEW" OR "DVR" interface -- it doesn't seem to give file-level information. I can't find this "CNN . . . Fredricka Whitfield" recording file.

Got any ideas? lemme know . . .

I don't know how I found the MPG for the encrypted channel that shows nothing but blank. Can't remember what I did. Where the **** is the CNN recording I just made?

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
You cannot record encrypted (copy-once) channels yet, only copy-free channels.
Yes, I've proven that for myself. What I don't understand is "file location" for such recordings if I want to open, edit, or play them with another program.

I'm reading through a sticky at SD as I type this. Still befuddled about finding the recording with file explorer under Win 10 . . .