[Solved] 460W PSU Sufficient for this i7 Setup?

Fr3shY

Jul 18, 2011
Hey,

I'm here looking for some help determining whether my Delta Electronics 460W PSU (Picture) will be sufficient for my setup once I upgrade my motherboard and CPU-cooler (and move onto overclocking).

Case - Antec 902
Mobo - ASUS P9X58D-E
Processor - Intel Core i7 920 2.67GHz (Planning OC @ 4.0GHz)
Cooling - Coolermaster 212 Plus
RAM - 9GB DDR3
GFX - NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 1GB
HDD - 1TB 7200RPM (Adding in another 1/2TB + Eventually SSD)
Drives - 1x CD/DVD+-RW, 1x CD/DVD/BD+-R

I want to make sure I won't have any power issues and if possible would like to stick with my current PSU.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

EDIT: I went ahead and bought the Antec HCG-620, got it for $46.19 after MIR using the new customer $10 off coupon code. Thanks everyone for the help!

Last edited:

Fr3shY

Jul 18, 2011
i7 920 can suck down some power at 4.0Ghz. What PSU do you have?

Unfortunately, I chose to buy the computer and then move it into a new case and do all that good stuff... the PSU it came with truly sucks. It's an OEM for HP (http://www.amazon.com/460W-POWER-SUPPLY-5188-2862-DPS-460DB-1A/dp/B001RMKZLO).

I took a picture of it though so you can see any specific specs such as amp ratings, etc. Sorry if the pic is a little blurry, I didn't have much space to grab the picture haha... http://gyazo.com/ccab3738a2e500f3d063c65b75c4648b.png

Thanks!

P.S. I decided on the Coolermaster 212+ for my CPU cooler.

Last edited:

TemjinGold

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2006
I wouldn't risk it. You spent a fair amount of money on that rig so why would you want the most critical piece of it all to be some no-name PSU, especially when you are aiming for a nice OC?

Fr3shY

Jul 18, 2011
I wouldn't risk it. You spent a fair amount of money on that rig so why would you want the most critical piece of it all to be some no-name PSU, especially when you are aiming for a nice OC?

What kind of PSU do you think I should get? (watts/mfg) I'm gonna order the mobo + cpu cooler later today, and I can always get the PSU later and hold off on the OC if it's a big deal.

Only thing is, one of big guys in the PSU forum over at Overclock.net posted estimated figures for all of my parts so I could figure out the right PSU and my current one should do fine. This is also true from the rest of what I have read so I'm not sure.

Let me know, thanks again for the reply!

EDIT: It's probably fair to edit in that the mfg of the PSU is Delta Electronic which I just found out is at the top of the PSU market in that they produce for most of the top companies.

Last edited:

Fr3shY

Jul 18, 2011
I'd go for something like this. It's Seasonic based and Jonnyguru gave it 9/10.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817207014

That's a little out of my price range, I understand power supplies are meant to be investments to protect the rest of the internals... so I may just keep my 460W and upgrade in the future. It's just under 200W more, do you think it's going to make a justifiable difference?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Hey,

I'm here looking for some help determining whether my 460W PSU will be sufficient for my setup once I upgrade my motherboard and CPU-cooler (and move onto overclocking).

Case - Antec 902 w/ Additional Side Fan (All fans on highest speed)
Mobo - ASUS P9X58D-E
Processor - Intel Core i7 920 2.67GHz (Planning OC @ 4.0GHz)
Cooling - Undecided (~180 watts? - I am open to suggestions for one!)
RAM - 9GB DDR3
GFX - NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 1GB
HDD - 1TB 7200RPM (Adding in another 1/2TB + Eventually SSD)
Drives - 1x CD/DVD+-RW, 1x CD/DVD/BD+-R

I want to make sure I won't have any power issues and if possible would like to stick with my current PSU. I need to decide on CPU cooler as well so any help on that is appreciated, something under $70 (preferably cheaper).

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Overclocking the CPU will probably push your system's demands close to or above what that PSU can provide. IMO, not worth taking the chance, especially with a "no-name" PSU.

Not quite sure what you mean by "Cooling - Undecided (~180 watts? - I am open to suggestions for one!)"

Are you talking about a CPU cooler? VGA cooler? Water cooling system?

That's a little out of my price range, I understand power supplies are meant to be investments to protect the rest of the internals... so I may just keep my 460W and upgrade in the future. It's just under 200W more, do you think it's going to make a justifiable difference?

Look at it this way...the power supply, while not sexy like a video card or CPU & cooler, is the heart of any computer system.
It's better to scrimp a bit on the video card than on the power supply. A cheap power supply can die a painful death...and take out many of your sexy components when it does.

If price is a big consideration, here's one that should do an excellent job with your system without breaking the bank:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371048

$69.99 before $20 rebate.

Edit...farking detonator dynamite...wouldn't load dualsmp's link.

That's also a VERY good power supply...HIGHLY recommended...and built on the same base chassis as the Antec I linked.

Last edited:

Fr3shY

Jul 18, 2011
Overclocking the CPU will probably push your system's demands close to or above what that PSU can provide. IMO, not worth taking the chance, especially with a "no-name" PSU.

Not quite sure what you mean by "Cooling - Undecided (~180 watts? - I am open to suggestions for one!)"

Are you talking about a CPU cooler? VGA cooler? Water cooling system?

Look at it this way...the power supply, while not sexy like a video card or CPU & cooler, is the heart of any computer system.
It's better to scrimp a bit on the video card than on the power supply. A cheap power supply can die a painful death...and take out many of your sexy components when it does.

If price is a big consideration, here's one that should do an excellent job with your system without breaking the bank:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371048

$69.99 before $20 rebate.

Edit...farking detonator dynamite...wouldn't load dualsmp's link.

That's also a VERY good power supply...HIGHLY recommended...and built on the same base chassis as the Antec I linked.

It's a PSU by Delta Electronics, and I later found out they are the largest PSU manufacturers so quality is there. By the CPU cooler I meant I was undecided as these are upgrades I am making, I will edit the OP to reflect my purchases. I bought the ASUS P9X58D-E and for my CPU cooler the Coolermaster 212+.

If you guys still think it will make a big deal, I will look into those PSUs. I understand the important, but after checking out a thread by Phaedrus over at Overclock.net (big in the PSU forum)... I am fairly certain the 460W should be good.

Correct me if I am wrong, now that you know my complete setup.

Thanks for the replies!

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
It's a PSU by Delta Electronics, and I later found out they are the largest PSU manufacturers so quality is there. By the CPU cooler I meant I was undecided as these are upgrades I am making, I will edit the OP to reflect my purchases. I bought the ASUS P9X58D-E and for my CPU cooler the Coolermaster 212+.

If you guys still think it will make a big deal, I will look into those PSUs. I understand the important, but after checking out a thread by Phaedrus over at Overclock.net (big in the PSU forum)... I am fairly certain the 460W should be good.

Correct me if I am wrong, now that you know my complete setup.

Thanks for the replies!

Delta makes some good PSUs, some crap ones as well...some of the "largest PSU factories make pure junk...you can't determine quality by the number of units produced...The CPU cooler you chose is a good one...some folks have problems getting it seated correctly because it doesn't have a smooth, flat bottom surface, but it can be done...

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=170&Itemid=38

TemjinGold

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2006
OP: That is what I meant by risk. The Delta you have COULD be a quality unit. It could also be a crap unit. If it's the latter and you push it hard, you will see sparks one day and the PSU will take a lot of your other parts with it. It isn't just about "how many watts it's rated for." You spent several hundred on the rest of the upgrade. You can run with the unit you have and it might be fine. But if it's not, then you will be out a LOT of money. Whether or not that risk is worth it to you over the price of a quality PSU is up to you.

Spikesoldier

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
provided the 460w is a quality unit, you would definitely be pushing it. you roll the dice if its not, especially if you have ambitions of reaching 4.0 on the 920.

i would feel more comfortable with a quality 550w 80plus. if you plan on pushing a top tier vga card in the future, i would aim for a solid 650w.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
i would buy a new psu as well. that 460w delta would be good as a backup in case the new one breaks. the 460w will likely run the system OK at stock speeds, but might have problems during long gaming stints. and if you overclock like youre saying you want to, i agree with others that it will probably kill that psu. or at least cause enough weird problems that its just not worth the trouble.

besides, even if that is a "good" delta unit, i would bet that its been used enough that its degraded some. again, for the $50 youd have to spend to make sure youre safe i would just do it.

LOL_Wut_Axel

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2011
I think you're better off with a higher quality unit. For $70 you can get the Antec NEO ECO 620C. It's based on the same design as the Seasonic S12II-620, and will take an i7 920 at 4GHz and another GTS 250 if you decide to go SLI.

If you want to go even cheaper but still be able to have a reliable unit that will take your OCed CPU go for the Antec HCG-520. It's available at only $53 with promo code Julsv10.

You're not gonna find anything better for ~$50 or $70, and I don't recommend you go any lower.

Delta makes great PSUs and okay-ish PSUs. I think the one you currently have falls into the latter, unfortunately. Don't skimp on it.

Fr3shY

Jul 18, 2011
I think you're better off with a higher quality unit. For $70 you can get the Antec NEO ECO 620C. It's based on the same design as the Seasonic S12II-620, and will take an i7 920 at 4GHz and another GTS 250 if you decide to go SLI.

If you want to go even cheaper but still be able to have a reliable unit that will take your OCed CPU go for the Antec HCG-520. It's available at only $53 with promo code Julsv10.

You're not gonna find anything better for ~$50 or $70, and I don't recommend you go any lower.

Delta makes great PSUs and okay-ish PSUs. I think the one you currently have falls into the latter, unfortunately. Don't skimp on it.

Fair enough, looks like enough people think it won't be sufficient. I have already ordered my motherboard, but I'll look into ordering the PSU soon. I want to install the new mobo and get rid of my BSOD issues, and within a week will install the new PSU.

I plan on holding off with the OC, I should be fine this way?

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
PS, if you buy something from Newegg, and the total cost (not including shipping or rebates) is $50 or greater, use code NEWCUSTOMER10 for $10 off. This requires you to be using an e-mail address that hasn't yet made a purchase at Newegg.

LOL_Wut_Axel

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2011
Fair enough, looks like enough people think it won't be sufficient. I have already ordered my motherboard, but I'll look into ordering the PSU soon. I want to install the new mobo and get rid of my BSOD issues, and within a week will install the new PSU.

I plan on holding off with the OC, I should be fine this way?

Yeah, without OCing the current one will be fine.

Still, though, since a great quality unit can be had for only ~$50, I recommend people to get one. You can still use your current Delta for a secondary build (file server) or office machine, if you want.

Fr3shY

Jul 18, 2011
PS, if you buy something from Newegg, and the total cost (not including shipping or rebates) is $50 or greater, use code NEWCUSTOMER10 for $10 off. This requires you to be using an e-mail address that hasn't yet made a purchase at Newegg.

Damn, I signed up with a new email and tried using the code and it said I didn't meet the order criteria to use the code. :/ The order was $70 without tax/shipping/rebates.

Yeah, without OCing the current one will be fine.

Still, though, since a great quality unit can be had for only ~$50, I recommend people to get one. You can still use your current Delta for a secondary build (file server) or office machine, if you want.

You know any good ones that I can get for around $50 that will be able to handle i7 920 @ 4ghz and in the future another gfx card, possibly a GTS 250 in SLI?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Damn, I signed up with a new email and tried using the code and it said I didn't meet the order criteria to use the code. :/ The order was $70 without tax/shipping/rebates.

You know any good ones that I can get for around $50 that will be able to handle i7 920 @ 4ghz and in the future another gfx card, possibly a GTS 250 in SLI?

You're asking a lot for a $50 power supply...you DO get what you pay for in most cases...

This one...that I linked to earlier, SHOULD handle the overclock and MAYBE the second card...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&SID=u00000687

Fr3shY

Jul 18, 2011
You're asking a lot for a $50 power supply...you DO get what you pay for in most cases...

This one...that I linked to earlier, SHOULD handle the overclock and MAYBE the second card...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&SID=u00000687

Well I saw that PSU, it's being sold for $75, $50 after MIR. I believe it should work, it's a good branded model and I've read good things about it. It's 620W as well, why do you think it wouldn't run a second card?

LOL_Wut_Axel

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2011
Well I saw that PSU, it's being sold for $75, $50 after MIR. I believe it should work, it's a good branded model and I've read good things about it. It's 620W as well, why do you think it wouldn't run a second card?

For $70 the Antec HCG-620 a bit better than the Antec NEO ECO 620C. Didn't realize until now that they're at that price. Yes, it will handle a GTS 250 SLI with a heavily OCed CPU just fine. That'll only pull around 550W max at the wall. The PSU will only have to produce some 450W.

For $50, the best bet is the HCG-520. It'll handle the OCed CPU and a single GTS 250 just fine, but I wouldn't put another one just to give it some breathing room and not push it past 80-90% of its specs.

Fr3shY

Jul 18, 2011
For $70 the Antec HCG-620 a bit better than the Antec NEO ECO 620C. Didn't realize until now that they're at that price. Yes, it will handle a GTS 250 SLI with a heavily OCed CPU just fine. That'll only pull around 550W max at the wall. The PSU will only have to produce some 450W.

For $50, the best bet is the HCG-520. It'll handle the OCed CPU and a single GTS 250 just fine, but I wouldn't put another one just to give it some breathing room and not push it past 80-90% of its specs.

Actually I'm getting the HCG-620 for $50 after MIR (plus $5 for tax) but still $55 isn't bad at all. With that like you said, I'll be good with my i7 920 @ 4ghz OC as well as GTS 250 SLI in the future.

I'm going to go check out some reviews and then finalize my purchase, if anyone else has other suggestions I'm open to them.

Thanks!

LOL_Wut_Axel

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2011
Actually I'm getting the HCG-620 for $50 after MIR (plus $5 for tax) but still $55 isn't bad at all. With that like you said, I'll be good with my i7 920 @ 4ghz OC as well as GTS 250 SLI in the future.

I'm going to go check out some reviews and then finalize my purchase, if anyone else has other suggestions I'm open to them.

Thanks!

I guess you're set, then.

Glad to help. :)