Solution to prevent necro threads

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by disappoint, Jan 2, 2012.

1. disappoint

disappoint Diamond Member

I see a lot of necro threads from time to time. To clarify what I mean by that is a thread that hasn't been posted to in a long time, is posted in months later.

Possible solution might be to automatically lock a thread that is X months old, say 3 months old? Not too hard to code in is it?

2. shortylickens

shortylickens No Lifer

Actually if its still relevant and you post something useful, necros are allowed sometimes.

3. ViRGE

ViRGE Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus

For what it's worth, the last time I asked about this I was told it's not possible with the default functionality of vB 3.x.

4. Dude111

Dude111 Golden Member

I dont see anything wrong with a date!!!!

PEOPLE NEED TO WORRY ABOUT STUFF THAT REALLY MATTERS!!

5. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

Whats wrong with necros anyway?

Assuming its not some random spammer why do they get locked?

6. ViRGE

ViRGE Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus

Because most posters fail to see the date and assume it's a new thread.

7. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

Does that matter though? Obviously posters on these boards being intellectual and polite to their fellow posters would only be posting relevant, helpful and informative replies, so the difference in dates shouldn't matter.

8. alkemyst

alkemyst No Lifer

Personally I don't get why so many people are so focused on necro threads as being terrible. Most are very relevant.

I do see the issue with those re-serving up threads that should have died due to the train wrecks they became, but even then most of the time in those; the mods have locked them.

9. brianmanahan

brianmanahan Lifer

exactly, there is usually nothing wrong with a necro thread

10. Dude111

Dude111 Golden Member

No there isnt but members often cause problems and staff doesnt wanna deal with it so they disallow it... (Which i totally understand i guess)

BUT ITS THE STUPIDIST THING EVER!!!!!!

11. disappoint

disappoint Diamond Member

I suppose you're right. Nothing wrong with necros!

12. donfm

donfm Senior member

The issue I have is the timeliness and pertinence of the information contained in old threads. There is one individual here who simply says "Thank You" on every thread apparently to increase his post count. This keeps resurrecting old threads that have long since lost the interest of the Anandtech Faithful. Other lonely people just like to chat without adding anything useful to the conversation. All this is fine but it doesn't warrant being put at the top of the leader board once the old topic has been thoroughly exhausted. It's just a minor annoyance in the end I suppose but it is an annoyance. :)

13. alkemyst

alkemyst No Lifer

man, if this is enough to be an annoyance you need more excitement in your life.

I have no problems with necros. I have no problem with those looking to boost post counts...in the end post count means nothing.

14. donfm

donfm Senior member

If you have no issues with the necro posts that is your choice. But please refrain from taking cheap personal shots towards others merely expressing their opinion. This is a public suggestion box where all are free to express their opinions not Alkemysts personal forum. Save your petty antagonistic comments for somebody who cares.......Or is this your way of creating more excitement in your life?.....

#14 donfm, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  15. alkemyst

alkemyst No Lifer

irony?

16. DrPizza

DrPizza Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
    Administrator

I agree that from time to time, they can get a little annoying. It's easy enough to lock them when that happens. Sometimes, it's not a terrible thing that certain threads have been brought back after a few years; it occasionally makes for an interesting discussion (including after the first 15 responders realize they're replying to a thread from the previous century.)

Plus, there's the occasional drive-by spammer whose post isn't necessarily a red flag, but necroing an old thread often puts the nail in the coffin in cases of doubt. It's nice when it becomes clear cut like that.

I do agree, it would be a simple solution to have threads automatically lock after x-number of days. And, for certain occasions, a PM or mod discussions thread requesting a particular thread to be unlocked would be pretty simple to do.

However, automatically locking threads after a certain period of inactivity isn't something built into vBulletin (afaik), though there are add-on scripts to provide that functionality. If someone can find a LARGE forum using such a script with no problems, then it would be worth discussing. But from what I understand, there is a lot of reluctance to mess around with code that hasn't been tested on a forum of this size. The problem isn't great enough to turn ourselves into guinea pigs.

17. donfm

donfm Senior member

Well said. The annoyance factor of the Necro Thread is somewhat dependent on the forum as well. Say in the Hot Deals forum which I frequent it would be a major annoyance to have to keep rehashing dead deals over and over. Now in a technical forum such as computer building there could still be a lot of useful older information to be had. Sort of as a reference guide. So in the end I suppose it's a personal preference based on your tolerance level.......as I said it's a minor annoyance. If they could just somehow keep from popping back up on the top of the board after a period of time I would be appeased.....Then there would be no need to lock them at all. They would die peacefully on their own. :) I think the only reason people actually post to these old threads is they see it on top of the board and think it's a new post.

Thanks DrPizza for pointing out that this thread was started last January. I guess that makes me guilty of resurrecting a Necro thread....the same thing I'm complaining about....lol....DOH!

#17 donfm, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  18. olds

olds Elite Member

My solution: Ignore them.
    If your panties are getting in a bunch over necro threads, you have WAY to much time on your hands.

19. donfm

donfm Senior member

You are just never happy unless you are starting some petty argument with somebody are you? You feed on it. You and Oldsmoboat should have a smart ass remark marathon between you. You've both had lots of practice here.

20. alkemyst

alkemyst No Lifer

That statement was ironic, I was not starting anything. I love how everyone thinks AT should be custom molded to their preferences.

21. tonyaustin

tonyaustin Junior Member

Has this solution been implemented yet? ;-)

22. soccerballtux

how about banner at top if old

23. EagleKeeper

EagleKeeper Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
    Staff Member

Apparently, you answered you own question :colbert:

24. Charles Kozierok

Charles Kozierok Elite Member

There are mods that can do this.

25. Dude111

Dude111 Golden Member

Yes but why bother??

People that worry about this HAVE SERIOUS PROBLEMS! -- Who cares when a thread was last replied to... JUST BECAUSE THE THREAD STARTER MIGHT NOT SEE IT doesnt mean others wont benefit from it.......

Get over it,worry about stuff that really matters!