Solution to homeless - SF tech execs fund measure to ban them

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
This has become a huge problem in Seattle. There was this horrible "settlement" of homeless living under I-5 in the middle of the city called the jungle. The mayor decided that the jungle had to go, but his plan was to allow a lot of the city parks to be used for "temporary dwelling" after moving the people out of the jungle. Well, that idea was resoundingly rejected the city council that was getting major push back by their constituents. Seattle is a very liberal city. The problem is that these people need to be evaluated for mental illness, drug addition, and whatever social services need to be done to get these people off the street. Otherwise it the old squeezing of the toothpaste tube. They will just show up somewhere else.

Opiate addiction is what is making this situation go out of control.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Huffington Post said it would cost $20B to shelter and feed the homeless in the US. Let's triple that because I never trust anyone's numbers.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/11/homelessness-christmas-decorations_n_2276536.html

Surely we can come up with that much.

We come up with that cost in the astronomical savings to health (ER visits), police, courts, jail, detox, county transfer, rinse repeat for many, many years for each one of these individuals. It's actually cheaper to just give chronically homeless people a free apartment than it is to deal with them living on the streets. But that idea is just unfathomable to inhumane jesus-loving conservatives.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
We come up with that cost in the astronomical savings to health (ER visits), police, courts, jail, detox, county transfer, rinse repeat for many, many years for each one of these individuals. It's actually cheaper to just give chronically homeless people a free apartment than it is to deal with them living on the streets. But that idea is just unfathomable to inhumane jesus-loving conservatives.

LOL, whatever makes you feel better about your dark, selfish progressive soul.

http://www.npr.org/2015/12/10/459100751/utah-reduced-chronic-homelessness-by-91-percent-heres-how

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I'm all about telling hippies to get a job, and I don't like it when people don't contribute, but I would like to see everyone sheltered, fed, and given some level of comfort and security.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Why not just have them work pulling rickshaws around town? They'll work for cheap and will help clear up the muffin stump problem plaguing the nation. Win-win.

Two references to Seinfeld in one post. Awesome!

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
I'm all about telling hippies to get a job, and I don't like it when people don't contribute, but I would like to see everyone sheltered, fed, and given some level of comfort and security.

If people think a society that provides a minimum level of support for the most needy is bad, they should check out societies that don't (Brazil for instance). The rich and middle class still have their money but they also have greatly increased risk of kidnap and murder. They are reduced to living in walled communities with armed guards.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
This has become a huge problem in Seattle. There was this horrible "settlement" of homeless living under I-5 in the middle of the city called the jungle. The mayor decided that the jungle had to go, but his plan was to allow a lot of the city parks to be used for "temporary dwelling" after moving the people out of the jungle. Well, that idea was resoundingly rejected the city council that was getting major push back by their constituents. Seattle is a very liberal city. The problem is that these people need to be evaluated for mental illness, drug addition, and whatever social services need to be done to get these people off the street. Otherwise it the old squeezing of the toothpaste tube. They will just show up somewhere else.

Opiate addiction is what is making this situation go out of control.
Seattle is one of my favorite cities to visit on business travel, and it amazes me how quickly the city is changing. The homeless problem along the waterfront is growing rapidly. My last two trips I saw people shooting up in alleys not to mention the opiate zombies wandering downtown near Pike and Pine. Squeezing all of it is ultra gentrification driven by Amazon and the demographic influx of code bros wandering the streets.

Seattle is a great city now being impacted by everything wrong with America today.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
LOL, whatever makes you feel better about your dark, selfish progressive soul.

http://www.npr.org/2015/12/10/459100751/utah-reduced-chronic-homelessness-by-91-percent-heres-how

Yup, modeled on the Denver program.

http://gladwell.com/million-dollar-murray/

so, you like, agree with me? Not sure what you are getting at.

....oh! calling out jesus-loving conservatives. lol--whatever keeps you up at night man. I don't think pointing towards Mormons who are, by all accounts, a population of christians who actually walk the walk, unlike the far more populated--and representative--southern baptist conservative types that are talkers, is the greatest retort.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Huffington Post said it would cost $20B to shelter and feed the homeless in the US. Let's triple that because I never trust anyone's numbers.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/11/homelessness-christmas-decorations_n_2276536.html

Surely we can come up with that much.
Oddly enough the main problem isn't money; it's a point of philosophy. It seems that even if you had wonderful, safe, warm, roomy shelters in every city, a large number of the transient population would prefer being on the street. You would have to forcibly take away their freedom of movement and confine them to those spaces - and passing that kind of law is ultra-dangerous.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
If people think a society that provides a minimum level of support for the most needy is bad, they should check out societies that don't (Brazil for instance). The rich and middle class still have their money but they also have greatly increased risk of kidnap and murder. They are reduced to living in walled communities with armed guards.

Yeah Dominican Republic is like that as well

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
But that idea is just unfathomable to inhumane jesus-loving conservatives.
Oh so its conservatives keeping places like San Francisco and NYC lthat top the charts of haves vs have nots- from all those progressive saints from handing out free apartments to the homeless?

Let me guess... there's a conservative bogeyman hiding in your closet right now that keeps you from opening your house to the homeless! Of course! What a heartless bastard that guy is! Boy, they sure do keep you and other 'oh-so-generous' progressives controlled though.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Wow, their homeless population is higher than the entire population of the town I live in.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Yup, modeled on the Denver program.

http://gladwell.com/million-dollar-murray/

so, you like, agree with me? Not sure what you are getting at.

....oh! calling out jesus-loving conservatives. lol--whatever keeps you up at night man. I don't think pointing towards Mormons who are, by all accounts, a population of christians who actually walk the walk, unlike the far more populated--and representative--southern baptist conservative types that are talkers, is the greatest retort.

When the OP story is about San Francisco (one of the most liberal places in the country), AND you offered an unsolicited and stupid comment about "well herp derp conservatives aren't giving homeless people free apartments" it's actually a really good retort when I link something showing them doing exactly that. An approach that liberal SF, NYC, and other places certainly aren't doing. It's not only a good retort, but one that should have made you stop talking at that point. But proceed with proclaiming to the world about how compassionate you are while you wait for better people than you to fix a problem. Like Utahans.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
Oh so its conservatives keeping places like San Francisco and NYC lthat top the charts of haves vs have nots- from all those progressive saints from handing out free apartments to the homeless?

Let me guess... there's a conservative bogeyman hiding in your closet right now that keeps you from opening your house to the homeless! Of course! What a heartless bastard that guy is! Boy, they sure do keep you and other 'oh-so-generous' progressives controlled though.

A lot of these poor are black people whose ancestors came to the city to find jobs after getting rather shunned by your kin out in the sticks, only to get redlined into the slums.

When the OP story is about San Francisco (one of the most liberal places in the country), AND you offered an unsolicited and stupid comment about "well herp derp conservatives aren't giving homeless people free apartments" it's actually a really good retort when I link something showing them doing exactly that. An approach that liberal SF, NYC, and other places certainly aren't doing. It's not only a good retort, but one that should have made you stop talking at that point. But proceed with proclaiming to the world about how compassionate you are while you wait for better people than you to fix a problem. Like Utahans.

So you find the one example of conservatives acting smart by enacting progressive policy and conclude liberals are the dumb ones. Tell us more of how this logic ever worked in your head.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Dallas has similar problem too. I was in downtown of Dallas a few days ago for the annual State Fair and I rode a DART train. It passed by a large underpass and I saw at least a hundred portable/camping tents under that underpass. My friends in Dallas said the local government tried and tried to clean up that area multiple times and so far, no luck. The homeless population just moved away from that area when the cops came and then came back again.