Soldiers put Iraq 'war trophies' on eBay

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- A year after the U.S.-led invasion toppled Saddam Hussein's government in Iraq, items touted as having come from Saddam's palaces have turned up for sale on the auction Web site eBay.

The seller of one secondhand rug lists the previous owner of the roughly 6-by-9-foot piece of carpet as ousted Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein.

Customers can also bid on silverware embossed with the Iraqi army's crest and a copy of the Koran, the Muslim holy book, which is purported to be from a Baghdad compound.

A spokesman for U.S. Central Command told CNN that U.S. troops should have been prohibited from bringing such items home from Iraq. But the men selling the items say they had no trouble bringing them back.

Spc. Adam Dearinger, who is asking Spc. Adam Dearinger, who is asking a minimum of $850 for the rug, is among those who brought home war trophies with no problems.

Text

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
Originally posted by: Ikonomi
You looted this post from someone, didn't you? I'm going to run your thread over with my tank! Hooah!

yep, and with his title: "Can this be right? Soldiers selling spoils of war on egay?", how can you blame me?

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: ThaGrandCow
Spoils of war.
It happens any time military from one country goes to another country.

If the war is about conquest yes. But if you claim to be liberating someone plundering their country looks slightly less convincing.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Definetly a different generation. In world war II a lot of trinkets from the nazis were brought back. I bet most of the soldiers kept those items as reminders and passed them on to their children. Now its the attitude lets grab it and sell it on ebay.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: Vonkhan
stealing, looting?

run his car over with a tank!

Amen. Hypocrites. If you think we're not oppressing the Iraqi people then you're an idiot.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Skyclad1uhm1
Originally posted by: ThaGrandCow
Spoils of war.
It happens any time military from one country goes to another country.

If the war is about conquest yes. But if you claim to be liberating someone plundering their country looks slightly less convincing.

You make it sound as if we helped ripping out the gold teeth of the Jews.
rolleye.gif