Sold gtx560ti but can't find the right new Nvidia card

kefegg

Apr 25, 2011
So I sold my 1 year old MSI 560 Ti card, which served me well but on a few games I couldn't get a proper framerate.
So it was time to buy something else and a R7950 was first that came across my mind. But seeing PhysX working on a recent GTX 670 made me turn against radeon and now I'm stuck with 2 cards left to choose from.
The Asus 670 (non top because unavailable in belgium) and the EVGA 670FTW.

Question-marks:
-Would my PSU deliver enough power for one of these cards? (2 SSD's, 2 HDD's, some fans, ...)
-Is the EVGA FTW quite? (Like my 560 was inaudible at idle but pretty noticeable when playing a game)
-The Asus would be the quietest card but like the 560 it blows the hot air straight in my case. My 560 didn't gave me any problems but would the Asus do?
- Would I get full performance with my P8P67 board?

I know there are lots of threads about X vs. Y, but I cannot make decisions out of the threads I went through.

Thanks

Last edited:

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
I have the EVGA GTX670 FTW in 2 of the 3 rigs below and they are OUTSTANDING video cards. USe PSU calculator and see if you have enough power. Seasonic is a top notch PSU so I'm guessing you do.

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
I got the ASUS non-TOP GTX670 and love it! Sooooo quiet, doesn't get louder when gaming which is a first for me, like ever...

I'm running it on a 520W PSU. I am OCing my CPU to 3.2GHz, have 2 SSDs and a 1TB HDD. Also 4 low RPM fans (Nexus - EDIT: 5 fans actually, one more on the TRUE120 CPU cooler). There are zero problems - I've seen the card boost to 1070-something on occasion, usually runs at 1033 boost.

Your 4.3GHz 2500K is a perfect match for it (can't get much faster than that...). PCI-e 2.0 vs 3.0 is a non issue for current generation cards - you will fully utilize the card. Hell, I'm running mine on PCI-e 1.1 - I'm not really giving the card all the CPU power it needs, but I'm really happy with the upgrade I did from a Vapor-X HD5850 :)

I'd say go for it!

Last edited:

kefegg

Apr 25, 2011
I have the EVGA GTX670 FTW in 2 of the 3 rigs below and they are OUTSTANDING video cards. USe PSU calculator and see if you have enough power. Seasonic is a top notch PSU so I'm guessing you do.
Outstanding in performance, but what about it's fan?
For me it must be quite and perform very well.

But because of my N560Ti was also silence, I guess it's a subjective thing.
Both Asus and Evga perform the same, I'ts just the fan noise and in-case temperature that will make me decide.

PSU power seems to meet minimum requirements.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
The Asus is the quietest 670 model by far. It's essentially silent at load. The only disadvantage is that it does not blow hot air out of the case. If you don't care about that then get the Asus. The EVGA GTX670 FTW is silent at idle and fairly quiet at load. It's the quietest blower style cooler I've ever owned.

Last edited:

spinejam

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
The Asus is the quietest 670 model by far. It's essentially silent at load. The only disadvantage is that it does not blow hot air out of the case. If you don't care about that then get the Asus. The EVGA GTX670 FTW is silent at idle and fairly quiet at load. It's the quietest blower style cooler I've ever owned.

^^^ I agree 100% ^^^

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I have two 670 ftw cards and they are great. If I had waited a bit I would have gotten msi or asus cards but as far as blower designs go they are fantasti.

kefegg

Apr 25, 2011
I think I'm going for the Asus. For what I read here and there it must be the quietest of them.
Only downside of this is the factory OC. The FTW runs at 1006Mhz and the Asus runs at 915Mhz.

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
I think I'm going for the Asus. For what I read here and there it must be the quietest of them.
Only downside of this is the factory OC. The FTW runs at 1006Mhz and the Asus runs at 915Mhz.

Mine runs at 1033 most of the time... I did not change any setting anywhere.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
I vote for the Asus. Almost silent, will have superior temperatures and it has upgraded components unlike the EVGA FTW (Assuming the price difference isn't large). The MSI Power Edition 670 is also a great card on the 670 side since it has some level of voltage control for overclocking.

kefegg

Apr 25, 2011
Well, yesterday I received the EVGA 670 FTW and I must say that it is awesome.
Compare to my N560GTX ti this one is whisper silent. While playing Batman or Max Pain I thought that my CPU cooler was revving up (just a little) but it was the 670.
Just as good as no fan noise at all.

It boost to 1176Mhz without touching any settings at all. Max temp was 73°C playing Batman AC almost maxed out.

I do notice that Tessellation does have a big influence on the performance. I turned to maximum setting I have a bad game play. Any suggestion for that?
benchtest of Batman does give me avg 61FPS but playing the game is horrible.

But I do not regret buying the EVGA 670 FTW,

thanks

kefegg

Apr 25, 2011
I bought the game through Steam and I can't find nothing about the patch. I guess they patch it automatically.
I'm searching for best settings but in Nvidia game configurator (nvidia's website) the 670 is not yet know and for all the other cards DX11 features is turned off.

kefegg

Apr 25, 2011
I played around with the nvidia drivers and now the game runs pretty smooth.
It runs avg 50FPS but from time to time it still dips to lower 30s but there is a whole lot less stutter in the game.
I'm running with the 306.23 driver and now I'm quite happy with the card.
Settings are:

1920*1080
no V-sync
8X CSAA
DX11 tessellation normal
Details Extreme
all the rest Yes
Physx High