Software that can split WMA files (lossless) with silence detection?

Discussion in 'Software for Windows' started by PingSpike, Nov 6, 2012.

1. PingSpike

PingSpike Lifer

I have a freeware program called MP3Directcut that I use to split large MP3 files into pieces. It works pretty well, its lossless and supports a silence detection feature that works well for splitting up audio books. Basically it looks for points between the speech and places a cut point there. Then I can just use the save split option to save the pieces into different files quickly. It even has an option to change the ID3 tags but I could get around not having that.

Can anyone recommend something like this for WMA files? I'd prefer lossless but I really need the silence/pause detection feature because manually finding split points would take way to long. I'd prefer freeware and lossless but I'm open to all suggestions. It would be really nice if it did tag/metadata updates when saving the splits but I can workaround that with another tag editor program if need be.

2. lxskllr

lxskllr Lifer

Have you tried Audacity?

3. PingSpike

PingSpike Lifer

I don't think that even supports WMA?

4. lxskllr

lxskllr Lifer

It looks like it does...

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/about/features

You should consider changing formats though. Relying on a closed proprietary format is bad mojo. I'd use flac for lossless, and either vorbis, or opus for a lossy format. I can't fully endorse opus yet, as it's still very new, and I don't have the necessary tools, but it looks very good on paper.

5. PingSpike

PingSpike Lifer

I did not choose the format, I'm just dealing with its consequences! IIRC I considered audacity for this same situation with mp3s and ended up not using it because it had to re-encode MP3 files resulting in quality loss.

Maybe I'll just use a stream recorder or audacity on them and then just move forward with the resulting mp3. I don't think I'll notice the quality loss on audiobooks much anyway. I mean, they're already in 32kbps WMA so they probably sound about as shitty as they can get to begin with.

6. Gooberlx2

Gooberlx2 Lifer

Yeah, at 32kbps I doubt you'd notice a re-encoding as well.

Install the ffmpeg and lame libraries, follow these instructions and export as something more universal.