<SOFTWARE RANT>.... You buy a peice of software for 1000 bucks........

Oct 9, 1999
and you get ZERO Free Tech support!

We bought Goldmine 6 - Business Contact Manager.

The install guide is "USELESS"... there is nothing that says how to use the program. There is free online techsupport.. yeah right its still useless... but if I call them for tech support its paid.. meaning I just bought it and installed it..and I dont even get 30 days of free tech support..

UGH!

What were they thinking....

Frontrange LLC sucks balls!

TGG

Anybody know how to use Goldmine.. i have run into an issue with it.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I have a goldmine connection. What's the deal? I can ask him...

And yes, Goldmine sucks.

Oct 9, 1999
basically its installed on the server (as a server install)

I have a link going to my system from the goldmine install on the server.. I got 5 user licence on it so its not alicencing issue.

I start it and I log in.. and then it brings up a box for the databases that are available..

I click on the database i want and it says "Contact Set Files NOT found in D:\goldmine database\estrategic" (estrategic is the database).

I can run it fine on the server.. but I cant in the client machiens..

I have 1 record in there.. the default record. I added anotehr record but it still do the thing..

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: BooGiMaN
that just sucks...i take it you cant return it and buy somone elses software.

yup...

it wasnt my call.. the lousy CEO's call who didnt research this software.. got it because apparently it "makes profit".. and supposedly better than ACT2000!.. True its better than ACT, its more powerful.. but the point is that ACT comes with some tech support.. this one doesnt.. not even 15 days..

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Heh, I know what that's like. We use $500-3000 pieces of software and find major bugs. Sure, some are fixed in the next version, but that's another $500-3000.

jorken

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Did you install the client on the workstation? Or do you just have a shortcut on the desktop linking to the server.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
My friend says your best bet is to post on the message boards at goldmine.com...he's not sure what the answer is.

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: jorken
Did you install the client on the workstation? Or do you just have a shortcut on the desktop linking to the server.

I just have it installed on the server with a link to it..

apprently that works.

It beats teh hell out of me if I have to install it on client systems just to interact with it..

I willt ry that.. but it beats teh hell out of doing that then.. because then all I do is install it on each machine and then have a single database.. too much work..

I am sure it will work by installing it on the client system too..

StupidDog

Feb 19, 2018
Old thread but still relevant. The OP did not install GoldMine correctly and not sure what he missed but the documentation shows how to install on a server. Only the newer GoldMine Premium is more involved to install. I love to listen to people that talk about GM sucking when it's their fault it 'sucks'. While reading the post I knew exactly why he was having problems and could have fixed it in less than a minute. I have a hard time understanding how someone will pay a grand for a piece of software and not be willing to spend a small percentage of that to get it working.

GoldMine is a complex product with a huge number of features. You don't just sit down with a PDF or online help and figure it out in an hour, which is what the OP seems to want to have happen. I can't count the number of people that have dumped GM as a suck product when they didn't invest in training. Those I know that have gotten proper training along with getting their GM configured by someone that really knows the product have been extremely successful with it. The OP sounds like someone that would buy and airplane and bitch the manufacturer didn't include a book on how to fly it as if a book would be sufficient.

Now with all of that said, GoldMine does have some kinks that will drive you nuts. In addition product management seems to turn a deaf ear to those that have been bitching about fixes/enhancements that would make a good product a great product. Often it seems 95% of their development effort goes into satisfying 5% of the user population, which is a terrible way to do things. It is these kinds of software manufacturers that find themselves begging for crumbs in tough times.

stormkroe

Golden Member
May 28, 2011
I hate how people crash space ships like Columbia... they probably thought flying one was as easy as buying an airplane with a manufacturer's manual or something.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Old thread but still relevant. The OP did not install GoldMine correctly and not sure what he missed but the documentation shows how to install on a server. Only the newer GoldMine Premium is more involved to install. I love to listen to people that talk about GM sucking when it's their fault it 'sucks'. While reading the post I knew exactly why he was having problems and could have fixed it in less than a minute. I have a hard time understanding how someone will pay a grand for a piece of software and not be willing to spend a small percentage of that to get it working.

GoldMine is a complex product with a huge number of features. You don't just sit down with a PDF or online help and figure it out in an hour, which is what the OP seems to want to have happen. I can't count the number of people that have dumped GM as a suck product when they didn't invest in training. Those I know that have gotten proper training along with getting their GM configured by someone that really knows the product have been extremely successful with it. The OP sounds like someone that would buy and airplane and bitch the manufacturer didn't include a book on how to fly it as if a book would be sufficient.

Now with all of that said, GoldMine does have some kinks that will drive you nuts. In addition product management seems to turn a deaf ear to those that have been bitching about fixes/enhancements that would make a good product a great product. Often it seems 95% of their development effort goes into satisfying 5% of the user population, which is a terrible way to do things. It is these kinds of software manufacturers that find themselves begging for crumbs in tough times.

Dude, after 15 years I'm betting GoldMine has changed an awful lot. Just a guess.

Nov 8, 2012

Really? That was worth registering and replying to a thread from 2003?

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
How do I migrate my GM database to Salesforce?

Possibly by hiring a Salesforce customization consultant. I haven't had anything to do with Salesforce at our company aside from answering a few questions about email integration.