Software overclocking.

Krynj

Platinum Member
Jun 21, 2006
I know the hardcore OC community will always say BIOS overclocking is the way to go. I've never used any (nor am I even thinking about it), but I've seen some people say that it supplies more than enough voltage for a stable OC.

Is there any truth to this? Are there any articles online about it?

It recently came up in a discussion, and I just wanted to get some clarification.

Thanks in advance.

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
Actually the hardcore use both. Once things are put under ln2 they have problems posting at certain speeds/ its easier to change things on the fly since you only have a limited amount of time.

Software overclocking has a few pros to it, but for anything 24/7 i would never touch software stuff. There is room for stable overclocks on stock voltages (as far as i know, no program can change voltages on the fly), my i7 can hit 4ghz and be (fairly) stable on stock volts and i really dont have that much info on how stable software stuff is, although i can tell you that in no way will it be more stable than a bios oc.... and u dont get supah fast 16ghz windows start speeds.

Id love for some XS lurker to clear things up with the stability because i dont have that much experience with software stuff but here are my pros/cons:

Bios:
+Stable
+Faster Windows Start Time (maybe like .01 seconds but still)
+Voltage tweaks
+Some stuff u just cant change in software like CAS timing
+Easier to reset CMOS then go into safemode if u mess something up past the point of no return

Software:
+Faster
+Will always be able to at least post
+More user friendly
+???Just as reliable???
+Necessary for world record 1m super pi times

*edit*
Bios:
+Girls Will Be All Over You Cuz Its Cooler