Software creators should not make assumptions, damnit

Killbat

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
ICQ, as big as it's become, suffers from "ignorant programmers' syndrome". Every time I get the new version of the thing, it wants to FSCKING change my IE home page! It NEVER asks! Then I have to play with it for a while to get their cute little pop-up windows to go away. The only thing worse is software that doesn't ASK to reboot the machine, it just up and DOES IT! I'll have Photoshop open, some Anandtech windows going, Winamp playing, basically I'm ready to sit here all comfy for a few hours. Then, I install some Email checker, and WHAM, my computer's in POST? WTF!?! I'm greeted at restart with a dialog confirming that everything installed correctly! That's nice, would you mind restarting all my programs, butthole!?! ARGAARGGGHGHGH FSCKING AARRGRGGGHHH!!!!

amok

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hehe, I'm also using a late '98 version of ICQ ;). The most compact and stable version of ICQ since its been developed.

BA

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 1999
ugh, one of you want to give me that '98 version of ICQ? Oldest I've got is 99.

Zucchini

Banned
Dec 10, 1999
Whats wrong with your pc, icq has always asked before doing that on my pc. 99a-2000a.

Brooks

Banned
Oct 9, 1999
As popular as ICQ is I think its fair to say their programmers are a bunch of F**king morons. Its STILL in beta stage. Whether thats to back their ass up in events of problems or not, I don't give a damn. Its been out for 3 years or more when the hell is it gonna be final? Its NOT that complex. Jesus! And the wizards on a new installation are mind boggling. WHen you install it should say "click this box if you are not a bloody idiot", and that means it won't have all the wizards pop up.

Brooks