Soft video frames and still images on iPad Pro and MacBook compared to 4K monitor on PC Desk/Lap Top

corinthos

Golden Member
Mar 22, 2000
I was comparing video frames and still images on my PC that has a true 4K monitor (31") to the same images on iPad Pro 12.9" Gen2 and MacBook 12 (2015). I also compared them to my 15" laptop with a UHD IPS display. Both are 100% SRGB and pretty close to 100% Adobe RGB.

I loaded the same Youtube video that had images of blue water in Fiji, a vollyeball player in the foreground, and a tractor in the far background on the beach. The video was paused at the same frame and I compared the outputs.

What struck me was that water was bluer, flesh tones were a little more richer, and some finer details of objects far (tiny windows on a yacht off shore) were more clear on the PC and Laptop displays.

The water was less blue, a bit washed out by comparison, on the iPad Pro and MacBook. Flesh tones were not as rich - a little more pale by comparison, and details from afar were softer.

The relative size of the image on all displays was about the same. But the resolutions of the MacBook and iPad Pro are considerably lower.

I tried some different color profiles on the MacBook but all of the preset ones I tried still couldn't match the output of the PC and Laptop displays in color.

A change of resolution on my PC monitor to 1440P didn't seem to reduce the finer detail of the windows on the yacht off shore - i could still see them more clearly on the PC monitor than the Apple devices.

I am using Microsoft Edge browser on the PC and laptop and Safari on the Apple devices, if that matters.

Has anyone else noticed this?