Socialized birth control

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I'm talking about freely providing condoms, birth control pills/patch/etc, spermicide, pretty much the whole slew of options available, to anyone who wants it. Maybe even so far as free tubal ligation/vasectomies. What do you think of this idea?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
If you add in that any prescribed drug or medical operation must have the consent of parents when minors are concerned, I am behind you all the way.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Darwin333
If you add in that any prescribed drug or medical operation must have the consent of parents when minors are concerned, I am behind you all the way.

Works for me, if for no other reason than liability.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Who is gonna pay for all this? Where in the Constitution does it give the Federal government authority over health care?

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Absolutely 100% yes. Controlling population growth is essential if we want to maintain our quality of life, and birth control is the cheapest way to accomplish it.

The cost of birth control drugs, condoms and other measures are extremely cheap when bought in bulk. We could probably supply the entire nation for a year with what it costs us to occupy Iraq for one day.

GenHoth

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2007
Yes, Yes, Yes

bamacre what authority is this? They are providing a service to citizens who want to take advantage.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: bamacre
Who is gonna pay for all this? Where in the Constitution does it give the Federal government authority over health care?

The words 'federal government' were nowhere in the OP - could very well be a state or local run program. Untwist your panties and count to ten. Would you support it if it were your state providing said options?

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
If this sounds like a good idea to you, then petition your own state government. Or start up your own private non-profit organization which receives donations and provides birth control products and services to people who want them.

I.e., stop stealing peoples' money.

The mentality that we need the federal government to solve all of our little wants and needs has led us into a fiscal brick wall.

The Federal government is inefficient and corrupt. The Constitution was written specifically to restrain the power of the federal government, and it gives the states and the people authority to do all kinds of things.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Probably the part where it says 'provide for the general welfare'.

Yeah, provide FOR the general welfare, not provide general welfare. :roll:

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
You still haven't answered the question. Why are you turning this into a "OMG I HATE FEDERAL INCOME TAX LOL!!111!!!! STOP STEALING MY MONEYZ!" thing, when the OP left it vague as to what level of government is providing the service? "socialized" just means government controlled, it doesn't have to be federal government.

GenHoth

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2007
Originally posted by: GenHoth

bamacre what authority is this?

Are you seriously asking me what the Constitution is?

Congratulations on misinterpreting what I said. If they haven't found other social programs unconstitutional then I really doubt that this one, which would have a very tiny relative cost would raise any interest.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Deeko

The words 'federal government' were nowhere in the OP - could very well be a state or local run program. Untwist your panties and count to ten. Would you support it if it were your state providing said options?

My state has already tried and failed to provide health care to its poor citizens efficiently.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Sorry man, no different.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004

Congratulations on misinterpreting what I said. If they haven't found other social programs unconstitutional then I really doubt that this one, which would have a very tiny relative cost would raise any interest. Further more, in what way does this violate anything in the constitution? Your right to buy and use your own contraceptives? Feel free, this wouldn't stop, nor force you to procure or use them.

The other social programs you speak of are bankrupting our country.

What you all are doing is immoral. Charging massive amounts of money to credit cards and expecting your children and grandchildren to pay for it, with compounding interest.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004

Sorry man, no different.

I'm sorry, our country was never meant to be a welfare state.

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
If this sounds like a good idea to you, then petition your own state government. Or start up your own private non-profit organization which receives donations and provides birth control products and services to people who want them.

The mentality that we need the federal government to solve all of our little wants and needs has led us into a fiscal brick wall.

The Federal government is inefficient and corrupt. The Constitution was written specifically to restrain the power of the federal government, and it gives the states and the people authority to do all kinds of things.

I suppose you prefer to pay for medical care, schools, food stamps, roads, and prisons for all of the unwanted children? It's a lot cheaper to pay for birth control.

Kind of like the present day Republican party, which forbids any funds going to family planning organizations that mention abortion, while we are being overrun by illegal Mexican immigrants. Yeah, let's stick to our principles, even if they are completely insane.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Look at it this way:

Do you want to spend your tax dollars supporting a teen mother on welfare?

Or do you want to spend your tax dollars giving away free condoms and birth control?

I can tell you now, one option is dramatically, shockingly cheaper.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000

Congratulations on misinterpreting what I said. If they haven't found other social programs unconstitutional then I really doubt that this one, which would have a very tiny relative cost would raise any interest. Further more, in what way does this violate anything in the constitution? Your right to buy and use your own contraceptives? Feel free, this wouldn't stop, nor force you to procure or use them.

What you all are doing is immoral. Charging massive amounts of money to credit cards and expecting your children and grandchildren to pay for it, with compounding interest.

hahahahaha come on man, you can't be serious, this thread is about whether or not A government should give out free condoms, how can you possibly be trying to twist it like that? This is why people blindly discount everything you say.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: marincounty

I suppose you prefer to pay for medical care, schools, food stamps, roads, and prisons for all of the unwanted children? It's a lot cheaper to pay for birth control.

Kind of like the present day Republican party, which forbids any funds going to family planning organizations that mention abortion, while we are being overrun by illegal Mexican immigrants. Yeah, let's stick to our principles, even if they are completely insane.

Schools, most roads, and prisons are paid for by states.

With your mentality, I wonder why we even have separate states. Why not just combine all the states, cities, towns? Make all laws federal. You people in Marin County shouldn't have a problem living just like us Tennesseans. Right?

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Look at it this way:

Do you want to spend your tax dollars supporting a teen mother on welfare?

Or do you want to spend your tax dollars giving away free condoms and birth control?

I can tell you now, one option is dramatically, shockingly cheaper.

I don't want to support either via tax dollars.

If you would start up a non-profit charitable group that provides free birth control goods and services to people who want them, I may donate some money for the cause. But don't put a gun to my head and take the money out of my wallet.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: marincounty

Schools, most roads, and prisons are paid for by states.

With your mentality, I wonder why we even have separate states. Why not just combine all the states, cities, towns? Make all laws federal. You people in Marin County shouldn't have a problem living just like us Tennesseans. Right?

You're still doing it. You're completely ignoring the actual topic at hand and anything that has to do with it, all you're doing is rambling about states vs federal government, when you're the only one who has mentioned this being a federal program!

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Deeko

hahahahaha come on man, you can't be serious, this thread is about whether or not A government should give out free condoms, how can you possibly be trying to twist it like that? This is why people blindly discount everything you say.

Oh really?

I am serious.

I don't understand why you cannot see that our current social programs are fiscally unsustainable. Yet, you want to throw more fuel on the fire.

Let me give you a hint. These social programs are not free. They may sound like good ideas, they may sound like the moral thing to do. But maybe you should actually take a measly 90 minutes of your time and educate yourself on this country's fiscal problems.