Social skills as you grow older

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by thestrangebrew1, Oct 24, 2012.

1. thestrangebrew1

thestrangebrew1 Platinum Member

After reading this thread: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2278708 I had a thought about how important social skills are and reflected on my social skills as I grew up. Has anyone else noticed that as they've gotten older and RL things happen such as marriage and kids, has your social skills deteriorated? Is it because you've gotten older and care less? Or since you're now comfortable where you're at, the social skills just aren't important?

2. Vic Vega

Vic Vega Diamond Member

Social skills are still important but I think as you become more comfortable with who you are and who you are not you begin to worry less about pleasing others and your attitude changes.

3. ichy

ichy Diamond Member

I'd say my social skills now are better than they've ever been. Of course that's not saying much.

4. Miramonti

Miramonti Lifer

After working at home on the computer all day for nearly the last 15 years, they suck more than ever.

5. Doppel

Doppel Lifer

Mine are a million times better than when I was a kid.

6. Mixolydian

Mixolydian Lifer

This.

7. Vdubchaos

Vdubchaos Lifer

x2

The problem is, they are much less important than they were during younger years (but still important, just not as useful)

Go figure

8. marmasatt

marmasatt Diamond Member

This. I think I just care less. Don't misunderstand me though. I try to be conscientious, and courteous and I always look to help people, but you still can't please everyone. I think it takes care of itself.

9. IndyColtsFan

IndyColtsFan Lifer

I wasn't very social growing up. I tried to force myself later in high school and again later in my 20s and early 30s, but I've gradually regressed back to my previous state. I'd rather just stay at home or hang out with my wife. I don't mind a few friends coming over but I really dislike going to large events filled with people I don't know. It has gotten to the point where I think I just don't care.

10. Udgnim

Udgnim Diamond Member

my social skills have become better as I've grown older, but I've also grown to not care about socializing

11. Vdubchaos

Vdubchaos Lifer

I was semi social growing up, very social in high school and not social at all once I started my family and figured myself out.

I'm just a stay at home type and enjoy my time with the family vs friends/or going out. Fact that most of the friends I had brought me nothing but misery to my life doesn't really help. Good friends that stuck around are busy raising their families/work life responsibilities.

Same here though, I don't really care about being social at all. Adds 0 value to my life.

12. thestrangebrew1

thestrangebrew1 Platinum Member

I find myself falling into this category more and more lately. I'd much rather just stay at home and spend time with the wife & kids and close friends/family. Almost to the point that I dread going to places where there are going to be alot of people.

13. olds

olds Elite Member

My social skills are fine. Certainly better than when I was a kid.
    But I generally don't care for people and distance myself from them.

14. IndyColtsFan

IndyColtsFan Lifer

The forced social events at work are what really irritate me. I've gotten to the point where I won't even attend those now.

15. Vdubchaos

Vdubchaos Lifer

I don't mind as long as they are during work hours.

I already spend 8 hours a day with work folks......that's almost as much if not more than my family, why would I want to spend even more time.

Every now and than is fine though....just not on the reg

16. HamburgerBoy

HamburgerBoy Lifer

My social skills peaked in 5th grade. Had friends, got along with most people, loved to speak my mind, etc. After expulsion in 6th grade and homeschooling through the rest of middle and high school, my sole source of conversation became internet forums, and now I'm paranoid, overly self-conscious, and meek. I can deal with lab partners and workers well enough, but beyond that most people think that I'm too quiet at best, and unfriendly and anti-social at worst.

17. Miramonti

Miramonti Lifer

Often I've noticed a few more pixels spacing above and below your thread replies but wasn't sure why.