Social Security Direct Deposit Dates, confusing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
I'm trying to help my parents on their finances and one thing has me really confused.
The dates that they get their direct deposit from social security make no sense.
If they got the check in the mail , then it should be in the mailbox on the 3rd of every month, unless that day falls on a holiday or weekend then it comes earlier.

I've tried to make sense of the deposit dates, counting weekends, odd numbered days in the months, and calling social security.
Social security just says, the money has to be in the account on the 3rd, but has no idea when it will exactly be deposited.

It would help if I knew what days they can or cannot write checks.
It also makes keeping an accurate balance of the account a bit annoying because I have to keep logging into their account online to check if the deposit is in the account.

I'm hoping someone else has been through this and knows how social security decides deposit dates. All I can do for now is say its their anytime from the 27th to the 31st.

From looking at the bank statements, these are the dates they got the money deposited into their accounts for 2007.

12/28/2006
01/30/2007
02/27/2007
03/29/2007
04/30/2007
05/29/2007
06/28/2007
07/31/2007
08/28/2007
09/28/2007
10/31/2007
11/28/2007
12/29/2007

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005
My wife receives her SS disability direct deposit on the 3rd wednesday of every month-- so depending on when the first Wednesday of each month falls she could get paid anytime between the 15th and the 21st of the month. Perhaps they are doing something similiar for your parents? Why they do it like this as opposed to a fixed day each month I have no idea, though...

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Best answer: Get them a $500 buffer in their checking account so that they don't have to worry about when they can write their checks.

2nd best answer: They can write their checks on the 3rd of the month, which is the date that SS guarantees it will be there. Then arrange with all their bills so that they are due well after the 3rd and not before the 3rd of the month. Heck, with elderly people, you probably want to arrange it so that the bills come just after the 3rd of the month so that they can just pay it as soon as the bill arrives. Most companies, but not all, will allow you to change the bill date like that.

Away

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
I receive my Social Security direct deposit on the 3rd. If the 3rd falls on a weekend, I receive it on the Friday before. Don't know why they have such a date SNAFU with your parents. I guess all your parents can do is wait until the 3rd to write checks.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Thanks for the replies.
I think I'm just going to have to shift their budget around so that it starts revolving around the 3rd of the month , rather than when the check is deposited like they have been .

They currently have some bills that come due on the 1st of the month.
I 'll probably just have to pay those a month ahead so they can send it on the 3rd.

Away

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
You can call the companies and let them know when your parents get paid. They might be willing to move the due dates back.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
From the title I first thought this should go in L&R.

LizRef

Feb 26, 2012
I know this is an old thread, but by looking at the dates, your parents were receiving their deposits on the 1st of each month. I know I am scheduled for the first and I always receive mine the last day or two the month before. Hope this helps!!

ModerateRepZero

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2006
I know this is an old thread, but by looking at the dates, your parents were receiving their deposits on the 1st of each month. I know I am scheduled for the first and I always receive mine the last day or two the month before. Hope this helps!!

Depends on the benefits. SSI (Supplemental Security Income) is usually on the 1st of the month, Social Security usually is anywhere from the 2nd to 4th Wednesday of the month (depending on the day you were born), or the 3rd of the month (usually if you are receiving both SSI and SS, or were receiving benefits prior to May 1997). For people not receiving direct deposit or electronic transfers, checks may be issued early to avoid delays in payment.

Obviously, benefit payment date will vary if payment cannot be made on the usual date (ie. falling on a Sunday).

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/calendar2012.pdf

Last edited:

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
My wife receives her Social Security on the 3rd of every month. If the 3rd falls on a Holiday or a weekend she always gets in the day before the holiday or weekend.....
So if the 3rd is a holiday she gets it on the 2nd....if the thirds is on a Sunday she gets it`s iether on the 1st or the 2nd. It`s not difficult to figure at all!!

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000
The dates for SS payments depends on when you were born and what type of benefit you get.

I receive regular SS benefits. They are made via electronic deposit on the 2nd Wednesday of every month without fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.