So you think your system is fast?

Cyrus9008

Dec 21, 2011
I got my Core i5 2500K to 20GHz +. I kept the multiplier the same @ 34x and bumped the bus speed to 608.5MHz. With a custom bios program I wrote I was able to surpass the preset limit of the clock. I am currently only using air cooling.

Ok maybe I bent the truth a little... or completely. But why did my processor bump up to that high of a speed. The temperature reacted to the "increase in speed," was my computer really running at that speed for a few moments or was it just some glitch? The speed remained there for a minute and did refresh a few times.

Brunnis

Nov 15, 2004
It's a glitch and the CPU did not run at that speed even for a very short amount of time. You'd know, since it would have crashed immediately. Don't really know what would cause it to read 20GHz, though, but I suggest you just ignore it.

Cyrus9008

Dec 21, 2011
It's a glitch and the CPU did not run at that speed even for a very short amount of time. You'd know, since it would have crashed immediately. Don't really know what would cause it to read 20GHz, though, but I suggest you just ignore it.

lol I know I am ignoring it I know it doesn't mean anything just though it was pretty funny to post it :p

Joseph F

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2010
Think of the possibilities all that with Intel stock craptacular air cooling!

I literally burst out laughing when I unboxed my 2500k and saw the cooler that it came with.
At the time, I couldn't see it cooling a 35W Celeron, let alone a 95W quad-core CPU.

Cyrus9008

Dec 21, 2011
I literally burst out laughing when I unboxed my 2500k and saw the cooler that it came with.
At the time, I couldn't see it cooling a 35W Celeron, let alone a 95W quad-core CPU.

LOL that's awesome. I thought the "K" series came with that semi good new intel cooler but was sadly mistaken. you know for as dinky and flimsy that cooler is unforunately I have to use it for a few more weeks until i got the dough for a noctua. Right now my computer is running ~29 Celsius though. that's not to bad...

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011
was my computer really running at that speed for a few moments or was it just some glitch?

I can't pretty much guarantee you if your bclck increased to 108.5 you would be lucky not to crash with a 2500k I would bet my house that it wouldn't actually hit 608.5. It is a pretty cool screenie though, keep it handy for Epeen moments :D

T_Yamamoto

Lifer
Jul 6, 2011
better than bulldozers cooler,

its a hunk of copper