So you think the Honda CR-Z is a success?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Kroze, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Kroze

Kroze Diamond Member

There's a car that weight 4000+ lbs with 290hp and get a REAL world 27mpg city and 36mpg highway? Is this a Hyundai by any chance? lol They're pretty truthful about their claimed MPG.

2. PhoKingGuy

PhoKingGuy Diamond Member

I got close to 47mpg with my Jetta TDI on road trips. Shrug

3. Kroze

Kroze Diamond Member

I didn't know they weigh that much and have so much horsepower. That's really good then! I wonder why people flock to the prius when you can get a 290hp car that get the same MPG as the prius.

4. CraigRT

CraigRT Lifer

I am in the same boat as most other people.
    I want to love the CR-Z but its pretty hard.

It looks great, and has a manual trans. That's it.
    SI engine/RWD/6MT --> winner.

5. NutBucket

NutBucket Lifer

6. Kroze

Kroze Diamond Member

7. Kroze

Kroze Diamond Member

YEa.....o_O

$20.5k car +$17.5k in "upgrade". I wonder what kinda of car I can get with $38k that will surpass that CRZ (with a hamster civic si engine) in every way, shape, or form.

8. NutBucket

NutBucket Lifer

Didn't say it was smart.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

9. Harrod

Harrod Golden Member

I'd say no, if the cars got similar mileage to the 1st gen insight they would have no problem getting rid of them, but as it stands they probably should have just offered the car with the k-series engine from the factory.

10. Howard

Howard Lifer

Sarcasm?

11. Sureshot324

Sureshot324 Diamond Member

The main problem with the CRZ is that a sporty hybrid with a stick shift is something that men want, but cars that small are mostly purchased by women.

12. NutBucket

NutBucket Lifer

Ironically my wife hates our CR-Z :p

13. Drako

Drako Lifer

I don't know any men that want a "sporty hybrid with a stick shift". I think most men can do without the hybrid. :D

14. dbk

dbk Lifer

My gf doesn't like hers.. #1 issue is the lack of visibility (especially the rear). #2 crappy MPG for a hybrid #3 right foglight cracked after 2 months of ownership. She got swindled by the salesman after going to the dealership for a Fit.

15. Sureshot324

I'm not saying women like the CRZ, but they seem to be the ones driving all the Yaris's, Fits, and Mazda2's.

16. Sureshot324

I'll take one :). I like the Prius because it's a very impressive piece of technology and engineering. Unfortunately it's boring to look at and boring to drive so I'd never buy one.

I honestly think if they made a Civic Hybrid with a stick that got at least close to the same MPG as the CVT it would sell.

17. NutBucket

NutBucket Lifer

They used to...it didn't sell (gen 1 Civic hybrid).

The market for sticks is so small its a wonder anyone bothers offering them. I will do my best to continue buying them but its very rare to find people who won't buy a car because it only comes with an automatic. I'm in that boat...but obviously I have to draw the line at some point like midsize SUVs and Minivans :p

EDIT: And if dbk's gf just slowed the f down she would easily beat EPA estimates ;)

18. stag3

stag3 Diamond Member

yea if they didn't try to push the bs hybrid crap, and wanted it in the "spirit" of the old crx, they should have put the k series in it from the start, it would sell like crazy.

19. mmntech

mmntech Lifer

Necroing a thread!

I finally got to see one of these up close and personal at the Toronto auto show this year. I actually liked it a lot more than I thought it would. It's got a lot of cargo space for its size. Though the overall car is smaller than I thought it was.

I was looking on AutoTrader and noticed they don't seem to be holding their value all too well. Most 2011 models are listing at under $14,000. Worse than comparable Civic models. It's not a practical car I guess, though if I had the money I'd pick one up as a summer toy.

What Honda really needs to do take a CR-Z, strip the batteries and motors out, and bolt a turbo on to the 1.5L engine. Call this new model the CR-X, and call it a day. The only real sporty car they have right now is the Civic SI, maybe the Accord V6 Coup. Would be really nice to see them get back into the hot hatch game, now that the genre is getting really popular again.

20. Dr. Detroit

Dr. Detroit Diamond Member

Why not just drop in the 200HP 2.4L Civic SI Motor?

CR-Z Sales:

January 2014 - 247
    2013 - 4,550
    2012 - 4,192
    2011 - 11,330
    2010 - 5,249 (2012 MY)

It's closest competitor:
    Hyundai Veloster -
    2013 - 30,711
    2012 - 34,862
    2011 - 9,284

Scion TC
    2013 - 19,094
    2012 - 22,666
    2011 - 22,433

21. mmntech

mmntech Lifer

Smaller turbocharged engines seem to be the way to go these days.

22. Yuriman

Yuriman Diamond Member

At this point I've seen quite a few of them in Florida. There're more than a few in town. I kinda like the look, and the idea of a manual hybrid appeals to me, but the specs scream "fail".

I was asking on another (Honda centric) forum recently about how the CR-Z compares to my older Del Sol (swapped with a larger Integra motor), which has a pretty bad rap on its own, and the general consensus was that it wouldn't really be an upgrade. I'd be gaining 300lbs, losing 30HP, moving to (according to them) crappier suspension, and probably ending up with about the same gas mileage.

I suppose the roof probably wouldn't leak.

#47 Yuriman, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  23. Dr. Detroit

Dr. Detroit Diamond Member

The engineering costs of doing that would be pointless unless Honda has something already built & ready to go. The Civic Si motor is the logical choice if they wanted to compete in the hot-hatch marketplace.

Plus the weight of the turbo & inter-cooler most likely negates the heaver SI motor.

24. NutBucket

NutBucket Lifer

They're right. Rear suspension is basically a fancy beam axle. Mid corner bumps are not fun. From a performance standpoint there's no doubt you'd be stepping down. But as I said previously you wouldn't want to be in a major accident in a del Sol. The cr-z will definitely provide more protection. Times are definitely different.

25. JulesMaximus

JulesMaximus No Lifer

That would be sweet if all your driving was road trips I suppose... now why don't you tell us what you really get for mpg? :colbert: