So you think the Honda CR-Z is a success?

Kroze

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001
With the 2013 model years coming out within a month, they couldn't even get rid of the 2011 model years o_O Honda is on a fail streak (2012 civic) lately. Hopefully the 2013 Accord is going to fix it.
35ba7a0.jpg

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I really don't get the car, but then again I'm not the target audience.

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
I personally think it's a fail on many levels.
It was kind of touted as a modern day CRX... the reality is, the CRX is 25+ yrs old, and still out performs the CR Z in 0-60 and 1/4 mile (Si). then to add insult to injury, the Si still pulled, for the most part, even by today's epa standards, comparable fuel mileage. heck the HF spec crx blows the CR Z away in fuel economy. I think I read it pulls the equavalent of 42 city, 51 highway compared to the CR Z's 31 city 37 highway.

I think the look of the car is decent. I do like the fact it comes with a real manual trans, but that isn't enough. the cr z just follows honda's trend of boring cars. they just don't have anything appealing that is really fun to drive. I think the new accord is getting good reviews, but it is still just an accord

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
I'm obviously biased since I own one but I certainly wouldn't call it a success. Its a fun little car that gets decent mileage. I average 40mpg in mine over mostly mixed driving. It wasn't really any more expensive than the Focus/Civic I was considering as alternatives.

I will say its a bit unfair to compare it to the old CR-X (another car I really like) since the rules of the game have changed. Would you want to be involved in a crash while driving a CR-X? The CR-X may have better fuel economy but I'm going to guess that the CR-Z has much lower emissions.

Anyway, not trying to defend my decision. Just pointing out some facts. Its obviously a niche vehicle with a limited market. It works for me though (and its not our only car either).

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Is the Civic a fail? It's not a great car but I thought it was still one of the best selling in its class (if not the best selling)?

I do remember sitting in a mid-2000 Corolla - now that was an utter POS. The interior gave me flashbacks to the Excel.

The 2013 Civic is supposed to be decently upgraded and the 2013 Accord looks best in class.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
I don't see how a new S2000 with a lill better gas mileage wouldn't sell awesomely. Keep the hybrid crap out of it too.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
CR-what?

I didn't even know that made it to production. Never seen one in person. I think I'd call that fail.

What was the MSRP? I guessing those prices above have heavy discounts?

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
It's a hot little hatch but I think it's been eclipsed by the alternatives. Especially those coming out of Hyundai: the Rio5 and the Accent which boast more powerful 138hp engines with similar fuel economy. Fiat is also coming out with the 500 Turbo with a 135hp Multiair. These cars while small can seat four vs the CR-Z which is only a two seater. The 500 has become quite popular where I am. I can count on one hand the number of CR-Zs I've seen.

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
Honda turned their sporty little hatch into a slow economy car, so it is fail. Looking back fondly on the days of the CR-X. :)

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
It was supposed to be like the CR-X, it isn't. The CR-X was a blast to drive, a go kart you could use as your daily driver. A simple 1.6 engine that you could work on (Si model) and upgrade easily. Didn't need much more power and it was a delight to drive.

One of the better cars Honda ever made. Unfortunately, the only good cars Honda still makes for people like me are only sold in Europe and Japan. The market here is gone, apparently.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
car and driver (predictably) loves the new accord. it's unfortunate that i can't tell the new one from the old one without the lights being on.

honda, toyota, and bmw designers have gotten as lazy as porsche and audi designers

Kroze

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001
car and driver (predictably) loves the new accord. it's unfortunate that i can't tell the new one from the old one without the lights being on.

honda, toyota, and bmw designers have gotten as lazy as porsche and audi designers

The interior is world apart as far as quality of materials compared to the previous generation accord (2008-2012). Honda also brought the new accord to the next generation with standard 8" backup camera on all models & Bluetooth/usb integration along with pandora radio, all have direct injection resulting an amazing 27 city/36 highway & a CVT that actually behave like a normal auto. Upper echelon accord have lane departure warning, adaptive cruise control, side mounted camera to watch your blind spot, keyless ignition/entry/start, 16gb hard drive.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
I know some people like the car but on paper it's a complete unmitigated disaster. Small, slow, expensive, terrible on gas really for a two seater hybrid. Just not compelling on any level. I see very, very few of them. I don't think I've seen one in months.

nismotigerwvu

Golden Member
May 13, 2004
Honda has been on a fail parade for quite some time now. Right around the point when their general perception shifted to "reliable cars with great engineering" they turned into a pumpkin and milked their image for all it was worth while shoveling out crap (and making a killing doing it).

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
I know some people like the car but on paper it's a complete unmitigated disaster. Small, slow, expensive, terrible on gas really for a two seater hybrid. Just not compelling on any level. I see very, very few of them. I don't think I've seen one in months.

Pretty much, I see a ton of Fits and CR-Vs here in San Jose, but hardly any CR-Zs.

Honda should have kept the hybrid away from this car in my opinion, and gone with sportier options. Honda does not have a single "fun to drive" car in their line up now unless you count the Civic Si, and the CR-Z was the perfect place for it.

nitrous9200

Mar 1, 2007
How about a CR-Z without the hybrid system? Lighter, faster, cheaper, better to drive and lower but still good mileage seems like a huge improvement over the existing model.

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
How about a CR-Z without the hybrid system? Lighter, faster, cheaper, better to drive and lower but still good mileage seems like a huge improvement over the existing model.

Well no shit, that's what it should have been.

Seriously, how many Civic models does Honda have, including a couple of hybrids. Why did they turn their one "sporty looking" car into a slug?

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
Well no shit, that's what it should have been.

Seriously, how many Civic models does Honda have, including a couple of hybrids. Why did they turn their one "sporty looking" car into a slug?

This precisely. Put the Si motor in this car and im a buyer.

power_hour

Oct 16, 2010
I never drove one but Honda's usually drive nice so its probably a decent car. But who really wants a quirky 2 seater that really isn't a sports car? Crank up the performance to S2K levels while getting 50 MPG then we can talk.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
The interior is world apart as far as quality of materials compared to the previous generation accord (2008-2012). Honda also brought the new accord to the next generation with standard 8" backup camera on all models & Bluetooth/usb integration along with pandora radio, all have direct injection resulting an amazing 27 city/36 highway & a CVT that actually behave like a normal auto. Upper echelon accord have lane departure warning, adaptive cruise control, side mounted camera to watch your blind spot, keyless ignition/entry/start, 16gb hard drive.

Do you work for Honda? 27/37 is not amazing when cars that weigh 1000lbs more with 100 more HP get the same mileage and you don't have to suffer with a CVT. And all those features come standard.