So would you eat a sea mammal?

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Let say that you are visiting the Inuit in Alaska or Canada and they offer you some Whale or Seal meat and/or blubber, will you consume it? If no, why not? I am curious about what a sea mammal tastes like. Hell I would even eat some Dolphin and Porpoise flesh if I could depending where I'm at.

Now granted I would be against commercal catching most if not maybe all sea mammals due to being largely endangered, but if I was visiting some Native groups, then I would eat some to avoid offending my host.

What about you?

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I would not be up there in the first place, so the answer for me is no.

Bear in mind that they don't cook their meat.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Hell, I'd eat cooked mermaid if it tasted good enough. :p

That said, I'm not a big fan of seafood or meat that is gamey like venison.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I would not be up there in the first place, so the answer for me is no.

Bear in mind that they don't cook their meat.
Yeah I would prefer it cooked instead of raw, Do the Inuit have any native sauces, or even use any?

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Yeah I would prefer it cooked instead of raw, Do the Inuit have any native sauces, or even use any?
I have no clue but considering they don't actually grow anything I don't see how they would have any sauce that isn't shipped in.

Then again they have evolved to consume that diet.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I have no clue but considering they don't actually grow anything I don't see how they would have any sauce that isn't shipped in.

Then again they have evolved to consume that diet.
Fish sauce of some sort?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I remember watching an episode of Bizarre Foods where Andrew Zimmern ate rotted shark in Iceland.

They have to let it rot for I think a year for all the ammonia to leach out before it's safe to eat. Regardless of the customs, if it was something super nasty like this, I would politely pass on trying it. :eek:

This video explains the process:

This is a snippet of the Bizarre Foods episode:

Reactions: KMFJD

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Hell no, to me the meat must be properly cooked. Medium rare would be perfect.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
If it was fresh, I'd try it raw. If not, then it's gotta be cooked.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I'd just eat it however the locals do. If it's good enough for them, good enough for me.

Having said that, I wouldn't be opposed to introducing some fire into the mix, just about any meat is tasty once cooked (and potentially if you're hungry enough).

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Let say that you are visiting the Inuit in Alaska or Canada and they offer you some Whale or Seal meat and/or blubber, will you consume it? If no, why not? I am curious about what a sea mammal tastes like. Hell I would even eat some Dolphin and Porpoise flesh if I could depending where I'm at.

Now granted I would be against commercal catching most if not maybe all sea mammals due to being largely endangered, but if I was visiting some Native groups, then I would eat some to avoid offending my host.

What about you?

Ate some whale in Iceland (along with some reindeer, puffin, horsemeat, and fermented shark). Texture was like the fatty portion you typically cut off a steak or pork chop and there wasn't really much taste to speak of - the mouthfeel of the fatty spongy overwhelmed any (small) amount of seasonings that were on the meat.