So why is diesel more expensive than gasoline?

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
I thought and thought about this, and haven't come to any good conclusion why diesel is more expensive than premium gasoline around here. No, we don't need to heat anything.

Any thoughts?

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
I thought it was because of the refinery process...it's more expensive to make or something? :shrug:

EightySix Four

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2004
More energy per liter or gallon.

One gallon of diesel is 147,000 BTU, while one gallon of regular unleaded is 125,000 BTU.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Originally posted by: pyonir
I thought it was because of the refinery process...it's more expensive to make or something? :shrug:
Me tap sarcasm meter :confused:

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
good question. Less than a decade ago diesel was cheaper than 87 octane fuel. It's supposed to be a less refined crude product. Maybe more of crude oil is going into the production of regular gasoline and less is available to be refined as diesel?

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Originally posted by: PottedMeat
Maybe you get less diesel per barrel of crude than gasoline?
Stop it, you're gonna really break my sarcasm meter.

EightySix Four

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2004
No, diesel is cheaper and easier to refine, which is why it used to be cheaper at the pump.

Oil/Gasoline companies have realized that diesel has more energy per gallon, so a small diesel vehicle can outperform (at the low end) and get better gas mileage than a standard gasoline vehicle, so they raise the price to make us less likely to buy a VW TDi or equivalent. (slightly conspiracy theorist approach)

edited for clarity and stupidity on my part

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Edited for clarity. Simple answer is tax rates between diesel, gasoline, and ethanol. Diesel is taxed higher by the feds, and in most cases by states, but not all of them.

Fed tax rate is 18.4 cents for gasoline, 24.4 for diesel, and 13.1 for ethanol.

States vary for example the largest difference I can find is Pennsylvania:

31.2 for gasoline, 38.1 for diesel, and 16 for ethanol.

So essentially you have an enviromental bias to steer you in the form of a tax.

Two other reasons are:

-High worldwide demand for diesel fuel and other distillate fuel oils, especially in Europe, China and the U.S. and a tight global refining capacity available to meet demand.
-The transition to low-sulfur diesel fuel in the U.S., which is affecting diesel fuel production and distribution costs.

From http://www.biodieselnow.com/forums/t/19309.aspx
Reputable? I dunno...but the main theories seem to surround around supply and demand and taxes.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
supply and demand - diesel is a certain fraction of refined petroleum, so based on yield alone per barrel/ton/gallon, price may vary. then you have demand - only have machinery really uses diesel. If consumers started using diesels in large percentages, price would go up then come down (due to the increased demand, low supply, then eventually equilibrating of supply/demand)

<-- not an economist

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
The new low sulfur requirements probably increased cost of production. Also the US government may tax it more because it's mainly used for industrial and commercial applications. I think the reasons diesel is cheaper in Europe is because governments don't tax it as much as gasoline, and I don't think theirs is quite as clean as ultra-low sulfur diesel now required in the US.

EDIT: Looks like pyonir beat me to it. :)

cheezmunky

Sep 30, 2002
has to do with supply & demand and the amount of diesel yielded from the current refining process in the US

...or so says the latest car and driver

ades

Jul 13, 2007
To maximize profits?!

Sometimes diesel a lot cheaper than regular, sometimes more expensive, it is a true mystery.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
Because cars can go farther on less so they have to charge more now since more deisel vehicles were becoming more popular.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by: ades
To maximize profits?!

Sometimes diesel a lot cheaper than regular, sometimes more expensive, it is a true mystery.

Any other answer ignores why Oil Companies exis / Capitialism Law #1: Make Profit at any cost.
That any other benefit is derived is none of their concern, except if it disrupts their business model.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
supply/demand
those big trucks on the highway carrying all the crap we buy at walmart and target and the grocery store use diesel

diesel >>>>>>> gasoline