So why is Arnold a serious candidate...

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
while Gary Coleman isn't? Is it just their popularity, is Coleman just seen as a joke? Because really, I don't see much difference in terms of qualifications between the two..

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Because Gary Coleman was set up to run by a newspaper as a joke/statement and he's stated that he himself is going to vote for Arnold? :)

Didn't Arnold get some proposition or something passed in CA in the last year or two? I remember in the 80s he was in a lot of government health things :) That helps I guess.

Feb 3, 2001
What do people mean when they say he's "unqualified" ? Do you mean he's not a career politician? If that's your sole criteria, then I think you're cracked. What better qualification can there be than to NOT be a career politician? I believe that the ONLY people who are fit to hold positions of power are those who do NOT aspire to do so as a lifelong ambition. Arnold is an intelligent man who is passionate about the cause of Liberty, both Civil and Financial. Unlike most Democrats or Republicans, he appears to realize that Economic Rights ARE Civil Rights, and if he does as well as I suspect he will, he'll bring business, and thus JOBS, back to California.

Jason

chowderhead

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 1999
Originally posted by: DragonMasterAlex
What do people mean when they say he's "unqualified" ? Do you mean he's not a career politician? If that's your sole criteria, then I think you're cracked. What better qualification can there be than to NOT be a career politician? I believe that the ONLY people who are fit to hold positions of power are those who do NOT aspire to do so as a lifelong ambition. Arnold is an intelligent man who is passionate about the cause of Liberty, both Civil and Financial. Unlike most Democrats or Republicans, he appears to realize that Economic Rights ARE Civil Rights, and if he does as well as I suspect he will, he'll bring business, and thus JOBS, back to California.

Jason

Arnold is a celebrity. He will receive a lot of free media attention and can get his general message out with little trouble. IMO, he is as qualified as anyone else on the ballot. In 2002, he helped pass an initiative that was the political equivalent of asking voters if they loved children? The law is not in effect because of the deficit budget. I also love how the media touts his business experience. How many jobs did he help create with "Planet Hollywood" going bankrupt?

"I believe that the ONLY people who are fit to hold positions of power are those who do NOT aspire to do so as a lifelong ambition. "

This makes little sense. I do not want people to stumble into or inherit positions of power i.e. widows. Citizen legislators are what you advocate. However, many times, they come in very inexperienced about the whole legislative process. If Mr. Smith ever did go to Washington, the lobbyist and the legislative staffs would eat him alive.
Arnold, et. al will need to rely heavily on his advisors who all have been around for a very long time. These people are never elected but they hold great sway and power. You can see that in the current GWB administration. I would rather have someone experienced and prepared to do the job than someone who decided one day he would look good in the governor's mansion. But the next time I need to have open heart surgery, I will see my friend Tom because he saw a TLC channel special the other day and I think he can do it.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: DragonMasterAlex

Jason
Hey he's a member of the Kennedy Clan, how much more qualified can you get?
rolleye.gif

Feb 3, 2001
What's MORE important than someone with a lot of experience in politics is someone with a Vision, who is Passionate about his ideas and who wants to get in to office in order to MAKE A DIFFERENCE. Advisory staff is *urgently* important, no question, precisely because they know how to navigate the waters in the political sea. A career politician, on the other hand, tends rather not to be driven by such vision and passion. Last one I can actually name might be Jesse Ventura, and before that Ronald Reagan (who, while having a good amount of political experience, was not a lifelong career politician, and was also quite the *exception* to the rule about having Vision and Passion...)

Jason

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
"What's MORE important than someone with a lot of experience in politics is someone with a Vision, who is Passionate about his ideas and who wants to get in to office in order to MAKE A DIFFERENCE."

Larry Flynt to a tee.

Macro2

Diamond Member
May 20, 2000
RE:"What do people mean when they say he's "unqualified" ? Do you mean he's not a career politician? If that's your sole criteria, then I think you're cracked. What better qualification can there be than to NOT be a career politician? I believe that the ONLY people who are fit to hold positions of power are those who do NOT aspire to do so as a lifelong ambition. Arnold is an intelligent man who is passionate about the cause of Liberty, both Civil and Financial. Unlike most Democrats or Republicans, he appears to realize that Economic Rights ARE Civil Rights, and if he does as well as I suspect he will, he'll bring business, and thus JOBS, back to California"

Arnold could use you.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Macro2
RE:"What do people mean when they say he's "unqualified" ? Do you mean he's not a career politician? If that's your sole criteria, then I think you're cracked. What better qualification can there be than to NOT be a career politician? I believe that the ONLY people who are fit to hold positions of power are those who do NOT aspire to do so as a lifelong ambition. Arnold is an intelligent man who is passionate about the cause of Liberty, both Civil and Financial. Unlike most Democrats or Republicans, he appears to realize that Economic Rights ARE Civil Rights, and if he does as well as I suspect he will, he'll bring business, and thus JOBS, back to California"

Arnold could use you.

Have you read this article yet ?

http://rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_080703/content/stop_the_tape.guest.html

Hear Me Now and Believe Me Later
August 7, 2003

Here me now and believe me later, my friends: all these conservative orgasms over Arnold Schwarzenegger are - like the "Gorbasms" liberals experienced over Mikhail Sergeevich Gorbachev - fake. I know that (R) next to Schwarzenegger's name excites the White House, but his own words prove he's not a conservative. I call this "The Hollywood Syndrome," and it happens every time some actor-type says anything even remotely conservative. I'm not trying to cold shower anybody here, but don't look to anyone in Hollywood to validate your political ideas.

The American Prowler's George Neumayr detailed Arnold's politics in his article "Here's Arnold!" Quote: "(H)e spoke in generalities and banalities about his plans for the state. To the extent that he said anything, he sounded not like a fiscal conservative but a moderate Democrat. He said that he wanted businesses to come back to California so that the state government could collect enough tax revenues to provide social programs. This is the sort of obtuse comment middle-of-the-road Democrats always make, forgetting that businesses are leaving the state because they are tired of paying high taxes for those big government social programs."

More: "He has told the press he is 'very liberal' about social programs, supports abortion and homosexual adoption, and advocates 'sensible gun controls.' His entree into politics last year was a proposition Democrats endorsed because it raised state spending for what amounted to state babysitting - before-school and after-school programs that cost the state up to $455 million a year. He has complained openly about the party's conservatism.... Talk magazine described him as 'impatient' with the religious right....

(H)e expressed disgust with the Republicans who impeached Clinton. 'That was another thing I will never forgive the Republican Party for,' he said. 'We spent one year wasting time because there was a human failure. I was ashamed to call myself a Republican during that period.'"

Does this sound like "the Next Reagan," as some people are calling Arnold? Hardly. This guy may be the next actor elected governor of California, but that's where the similarity between him and Ronaldus Magnus end.

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
If he wins in Ca, just like Mn, they will get exactly what they deserve...

Be interesting to watch how the Dems respond. Can we say "Total re-Recall"?

flavio

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: chowderhead
In 2002, he helped pass an initiative that was the political equivalent of asking voters if they loved children?

No, that thing had problems.

Macro2

Diamond Member
May 20, 2000
RE:"just sell california to the chinese. prob solved"

Too late, the Mexicans already own it and they ain't sellin'