Discussion So why do I get the feeling that most everybody hates TRUMP?

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
So in the 2020 Presidential race would you consider voting Republican if for some reason there was a different choice besides TRUMP or Pence?
I am not so sure the Democrat`s have the election in the bag! I do believe it is theirs to screw up....

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
At this point, the GOP's brand is badly damaged as a party for me, largely due to their capitulation to Trumpism.

A Republican candidate would not have to be particularly spitshine squeeky clean, but they would also have to hold positions that I do not believe are possible to hold in the modern GOP, and the Dems would have to run a real honest to God stinker for there to be a chance of my voting for the Pubs.

Even then, I might just write in "None of these assholes" on my ballot...

Reactions: Ichinisan

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
It's because of the social circles you belong to. You seek like minded individuals to help reaffirm your hate for him.
you are making this about me when this is a discussion..
But since you posted what you posted are you saying your a TRUMP supporter??
Let me say I am seeking nobody to affirm what I believe to be true -- here this sums it up pretty good --
zzz.jpg

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
you are making this about me when this is a discussion..
But since you posted what you posted are you saying your a TRUMP supporter??
Let me say I am seeking nobody to affirm what I believe to be true -- here this sums it up pretty good --
No I am not making this about you. You asked a question and I answered it.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
It's because of the social circles you belong to. You seek like minded individuals to help reaffirm your hate for him.
You used the word "YOU" and the word "YOUR" and that was pointed back at me.
Whewn I was saying that I get the feeling......a feeling can be based on what is posted in these forums or what you read and what you see on TV...….
So answer my questions? IT cannot be that hard...unless you are just attacking the messenger because you dso not know how to phrase an intelligent answer....
Also where in what I posted above did I say I hated TRUMP?
Thinking somebody is incompetent and a liar is not the same a hating somebody!

Reactions: DarthKyrie

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
You used the word "YOU" and the word "YOUR" and that was pointed back at me.
Whewn I was saying that I get the feeling......a feeling can be based on what is posted in these forums or what you read and what you see on TV...….
So answer my questions? IT cannot be that hard...unless you are just attacking the messenger because you dso not know how to phrase an intelligent answer....
Also where in what I posted above did I say I hated TRUMP?
Thinking somebody is incompetent and a liar is not the same a hating somebody!
You asked a question and I answered it. I do not know how to directly respond to you without using the words "YOU" or "YOUR".
Perhaps you meant to express a statement and not pose a question. Was your intention to make a statement and not pose a question?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
No, I won't vote R for a good while. Starting with Obama's election, the R party morphed into a party I don't have anything in common with.

Op, you get the feeling many people hate Trump because the majority of voters didn't vote for him. He has been a vile and corrupt person for decades

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

The first sentence is undoubtedly correct. But the second probably isn't. "Social circles" are mostly not determined simply by politics. It's one of those 'correlation is not causation' things.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
A vote for R in 2020 is a vote for Vlad, not Trump. Trump is just the puppet.
Vlad must fear what will happen if a D takes the whitehouse 2020...

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
If he would just released his authentic non-Photoshopped Birth Certificate, this would be all cleared up.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I have plenty of friends and relatives that like Trump, I just snooze them on Facebook so I don't see their shit. I don't really like the Dems swinging so far to the left, there has to be some middle ground. I would vote for a compassionate conservative if the left fielded a far left whack job, however I'd rather vote for an independent as neither one is what I want. It's always a choice between the lesser of two evils, which really isn't much of a choice.

Nov 29, 2006
Not a chance in hell. They have all protected him which means they are as bad as he is. They need a new party platform to be relevant in my eyes someday. Go back to the core roots, or small government, stay out of peoples lives, drop religion (as far as platform goes) and bigotry, fiscally conservative etc. even then I wouldn’t vote for them but at least I’d respect their position.

They’ve been the party of standing still in a world that progresses. I can’t abide by that thinking.

Last edited:

ecogen

Golden Member
Dec 24, 2016
I have plenty of friends and relatives that like Trump, I just snooze them on Facebook so I don't see their shit. I don't really like the Dems swinging so far to the left, there has to be some middle ground. I would vote for a compassionate conservative if the left fielded a far left whack job, however I'd rather vote for an independent as neither one is what I want. It's always a choice between the lesser of two evils, which really isn't much of a choice.

Imagine thinking your democrats are swinging far to the left. Fucking lol.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

They're not all that far to the left in practice... and let's face it, if you vote for anyone other than a Democrat in 2020, you're effectively voting for Trump. That binary choice does suck, but the US will be much, much better off just by getting Trump out of the picture. Make Government Competent Again, you might say.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
So in the 2020 Presidential race would you consider voting Republican if for some reason there was a different choice besides TRUMP or Pence?
I am not so sure the Democrat`s have the election in the bag! I do believe it is theirs to screw up....

I am diametrically opposed to the GOP economic fantasy, and am split on social policies. There is limited appeal remaining, they would need to curb the madness but I'm not sure humans are able to make such a pivot. I imagine the best case scenario is that we appeal to independents and gain a larger hold over various voting blocs. You know, we can whittle Trump's base down to its core, but I fear that core itself is lost for a generation.

Thanks to the election's binary Us vs Them, I appreciate how easy it'd be to alienate independents and lose the election. How to avoid that, however, is a mixed bag. On one hand we can speak to the "middle". Or we can find new ground on "both sides" by actually appealing to those looking for bold solutions that sound beneficial in ways bureaucratic policies rarely do. But that wouldn't appeal to what is traditionally referred to as the "middle" so the outcome of such a "far left" campaign is uncertain. It'd bring out more voters both for and against.

OTOH, Trump is such a risk as President that playing it safe is actually appealing. I imagine any good old fashioned, youthful and charismatic candidate can crush it in 2020. However, the economy is still holding thus far and that's the fuel for Trump's lies. Difficult to overcome that unless independents have decided they regret 2016.

TL;DR, we live in interesting times.

Last edited:
Reactions: JEDIYoda
Nov 29, 2006

I think to you the Dema seem far left, but that is because the GOP took it to the extreme right. It’s a visual thing all while the Dem is right where it’s always been (for the most part). In my opinion as a party they need to skew more left and less middle, but that could just be me.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018

Why do people hate Trump? Does it have anything to do with him being a gun loving, incompetent, cheating, lying, racist egomaniac? Naw, that couldnt be it. It is definitely not true though that "everyone" hates him. The 35% or so that share his misogynistic viewpoint are un-waveringly loyal.

And yes, I would definitely consider voting Republican if there were a more mainstream candidate. In fact, the only Democratic candidates so far that appeal to me are Amy Klobuchar and to a lesser extent Joe Biden. The dems are definitely shooting themselves in the foot with ultra-liberal candidates. First, they could split the party into two camps, like happened with Sanders/Clinton, with the losing camp either not voting or voting for Trump. Trump would also have a field day attacking and distorting their ultra liberal policies should they win the nomination. The problem for the democrats is that Trump has rock solid support (sadly) from his base of 35% or so. Especially with the way the electoral college is distributed, he doesn't even need to win the popular vote, so he only has to sway (or the dems alienate) less than 15% of the remaining voters to win.

Edit: And to those who think the Dems are not swinging to the far left, I definitely disagree.

Last edited:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Why do people hate Trump? Does it have anything to do with him being a gun loving, incompetent, cheating, lying, racist egomaniac? Naw, that couldnt be it. It is definitely not true though that "everyone" hates him. The 35% or so that share his misogynistic viewpoint are un-waveringly loyal.

And yes, I would definitely consider voting Republican if there were a more mainstream candidate. In fact, the only Democratic candidates so far that appeal to me are Amy Klobuchar and to a lesser extent Joe Biden. The dems are definitely shooting themselves in the foot with ultra-liberal candidates. First, they could split the party into two camps, like happened with Sanders/Clinton, with the losing camp either not voting or voting for Trump. Trump would also have a field day attacking and distorting their ultra liberal policies should they win the nomination. The problem for the democrats is that Trump has rock solid support (sadly) from his base of 35% or so. Especially with the way the electoral college is distributed, he doesn't even need to win the popular vote, so he only has to sway (or the dems alienate) less than 15% of the remaining voters to win.
Most of those are my reasons along with incompetent.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Depends on who the Democrats nominate and what happens to Trump. If Trump goes down before 2020, I would welcome someone like Charlie Baker or even Mitt Romney pulling the GOP back to the center, and would consider them if they were successful in doing so.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Depends on who the Democrats nominate and what happens to Trump. If Trump goes down before 2020, I would welcome someone like Charlie Baker or even Mitt Romney pulling the GOP back to the center, and would consider them if they were successful in doing so.

Moar Trickle Down!