So who's playing for a Quarter of a Billion on Wednesday?

mflacy

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2001
I got my Powerball ticket this morning. 250 million Jackpot which boils down to 141 million Cash option. Subtract for taxes and you would be left with a lovely retirement package.

I'd set my immediate family up with about half of it and keep half for myself. Then take a month long vacation on some remote desert island. After that, travel around the U.S. until I find a nice spot of land to build a dream house. And of course, build the baddest computer anyone has ever seen just to surf Anandtech. After that, Who knows?

What would you do if you won the jackpot? (besides 2 chicks at the same time)

Desslok

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2001
Originally posted by: mflacy
I got my Powerball ticket this morning. 250 million Jackpot which boils down to 141 million Cash option. Subtract for taxes and you would be left with a lovely retirement package. I'd set my immediate family up with about half of it and keep half for myself. Then take a month long vacation on some remote desert island. After that, travel around the U.S. until I find a nice spot of land to build a dream house. And of course, build the baddest computer anyone has ever seen just to surf Anandtech. After that, Who knows? What would you do if you won the jackpot? (besides 2 chicks at the same time)

The Lotto is a tax for people that suck at math.

DorkBoy

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2000
spent more money then ever playing this week, I need to win, sick of getting up to go to work.

Desslok

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2001
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
and the winner will be laughing all the way towards the bank.

And then crying when they have blown it all in a couple years like most of them do.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Desslok

And then crying when they have blown it all in a couple years like most of them do.

At least they had fun

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

At least they had fun

Really? Most large jackpot winners end up alienated from friends and family, and completely miserable within a decade. The problem is, most people have no idea that this will completely change their lives, and they keep trying to live just as they did before.

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Amused

At least they had fun

Really? Most large jackpot winners end up alienated from friends and family, and completely miserable within a decade. The problem is, most people have no idea that this will completely change their lives, and they keep trying to live just as they did before.

I don't think I would have that problem since I'm practically a hermit already. With money I could really hide from the world.

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000

At least they had fun

I don't think I would have that problem since I'm practically a hermit already. With money I could really hide from the world.

mboy

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2001

At least they had fun

Not me, 1st off you could bank the ENTIRE thing, looking at 110mil + after taxes. @ 3% int. you are earning over 3 million a year in income. Charge everything and pay it off when u get the bill, never have to touch your principal.
I could use that type of life change :)

gigapet

Lifer
Aug 9, 2001
Originally posted by: DorkBoy
spent more money then ever playing this week, I need to win, sick of getting up to go to work.

no matter what you spend the odds dont change.....one ticket is the same as a thousand is the same as 10000 is the same as 100000

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
what states are participating ?

we should get a pool of people here and buy em in bunches and split the winnings.

then we won't be super duper rich but equally compensated enough. :)

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001

At least they had fun

That's because most people are morons

;)

I think I'd make it...I'd start up some business, put the girls in a private school to get them out of public school hell (well, the oldest, anyway...youngest is in the traditional school program and loves it).

Donate a boatload to charity
Get involved in volunteer work
Help out family/friends (to an extent)
Setup a fund for my daughters and their children
Travel a bit

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
I'd probably spend about 10 mil right off buying cars and houses for myself, family, and close friends. Then I'd bank it or invest in income stocks and live off the proceeds until I'm about 60. Then, I'd just go crazy and waste it all and kill myself.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: mboy

At least they had fun

Not me, 1st off you could bank the ENTIRE thing, looking at 110mil + after taxes. @ 3% int. you are earning over 3 million a year in income. Charge everything and pay it off when u get the bill, never have to touch your principal.
I could use that type of life change :)

No matter how smart you are with the money, it wont change the fact that your friends and family will, for the most part, become assholes. Ask anyone who's become suddenly wealthy.

If, on the other hand, you have already accepted the fact that you'll most likely lose most of your friends, and you'll have to distance yourself from your family, you'll be fine. However, most people don't see this coming, and most people cannot accept it.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com

The Lotto is a tax for people that suck at math.

Lotto is a tax on stupidity. Especially those scratch off tickets! But, at 250 mil, there's quite a bit of entertainment value for your dollar. It's too bad people blow a fortune on tickets, some people spending hundreds of dollars on tickets. I always ask my math students if they would ever play the numbers 1,2,3,4,5,6. For anyone who thinks that combination of numbers would be stupid, I point out it has the EXACT same probability of coming up as any other combination...

If I'm not mistaken, the odds of winning are 1 in 53*52*51*50*49/(5*4*3*2*1) * 42
or, 1 in 120,526,770. So, if you purchased every possible combination, guaranteeing you will win...
Plus you'd win another 4.1 million for matching 5 whites with the other 41 red combinations, and a whole heck of a lot of other s maller prizes... Then, as long as no one else wins, you..... LOSE money after taxes! Heyyyyy, how about starting a business to win the powerball... you deduct all the losses as business expenses :)

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001

No matter how smart you are with the money, it wont change the fact that your friends and family will, for the most part, become assholes. Ask anyone who's become suddenly wealthy.

If, on the other hand, you have already accepted the fact that you'll most likely lose most of your friends, and you'll have to distance yourself from your family, you'll be fine. However, most people don't see this coming, and most people cannot accept it.
I have only a few very close friends and my family is not that large.

I think I'd be ok.

Maybe it's just me but whenever I see a large lottery winner it seems to be someone from a blue-collar lifestyle who's never had any financial/business training (well, except that construction company owner in West Virginia). It's no wonder their lives got tossed.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001

At least they had fun

think about a $110 million kegger

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001

Speaking from experience?

NTB

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Arkitech
What states is this lottery in? Is Illinois included in this one?

I'm not sure, but I know a few of the states around IL do. If you live in the southern part, you could always drive over to Missouri and buy a ticket.

As for myself, I may very well pick up a ticket, which I don't do very often. As someone said, the lottery is a tax for people who suck at math, which is true. The odds of any one person winning are astronomical. But then again, if you don't buy a ticket, your odds are exactly nil. I'd rather have an astronomically small chance than none at all :p

What would I do with the money? Well, whoever said bankrolling had the right idea, IMO. I could live off the $3 mil a year interest. First thing I'd do w/ some of the money - and I realize this is small potatoes, but it's just a start - is to buy a new vehicle (I drive an old POS now), a new house or two - One for my family and then one for my girlfriend and I - and then take a nice long vacation someplace. Or several places, for that matter :p

EDIT: I would also finish my degree & find a job, rather than sit on my butt & blow the money. Not having to worry about money is nice, but even taking vacations and goofing off wears thin after a while. I'd get cabin fever.

Nate