So who saw Velvet Revolver absolutey BUTCHER two Van Halen songs at the HOF ceremony?

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
So the Rock Hall of Fame inductions were tonight, and Velvet Revolver inducted Van Halen into the Hall.

Then, since Eddie Van Halen is in rehab and only Sammy Hagar and Michael Anthony were there to represent the band, VR played two VH songs...Ain't Talkin' Bout Love and they were supposed to play Runaround from the Van Hagar years.

Well, they butchered ATBL badly. Slash absolutely sucked. He didn't come close to what Eddie played on that song.

And the second song, Runaround...all they played was the chorus, over and over. Very badly.

That was one awful performance.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Originally posted by: loki8481
is it possible to make a Van Halen song somehow... "good"? :confused:
Just like it's possible for you to get somehow....."laid"?

Hey, Hope and Faith aren't just the names of a couple of strippers in Vegas.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: Pacfanweb

You must impress all the 40+ yr old cougars with your fanatic love of Van Halen. :roll:

Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: foghorn67

You must impress all the 40+ yr old cougars with your fanatic love of Van Halen. :roll:

how is that anything resembling fanatic love? :roll:

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Wow, so liking 80's metal bands means all I'll ever get is women twice as old as me? Guess I'll just destroy these Metallica, ACDC, Aerosmith, etc. albums...

kedlav

Aug 2, 2006
Originally posted by: Sraaz
Wow, so liking 80's metal bands means all I'll ever get is women twice as old as me? Guess I'll just destroy these Metallica, ACDC, Aerosmith, etc. albums...

Right, because listening to crappy music is going to increase your already abysmal odds of getting laid?

Oh, and the Hope and Faith got a chuckle out of me...

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: IAteYourMother
Originally posted by: foghorn67

how is that anything resembling fanatic love? :roll:

ummm, read the above posts.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Originally posted by: kedlav

Right, because listening to crappy music is going to increase your already abysmal odds of getting laid?

Oh, and the Hope and Faith got a chuckle out of me...

You're right. Send me some of your backstreet boys cd's

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001

Van Halen was never a metal band.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Astaroth33

They were hard rock. Had some hits on pop radio, but the vast majority was hard rock, regardless of who was the singer.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
I know who Guns N' Roses were and liked some of their stuff but, I don't think Velvet Revolver has released anything memorable at all. Is it just a vehicle for a few ex-Guns N' Roses crew to milk their fame?

slimrhcp

Jul 20, 2005
Originally posted by: MagnusTheBrewer
I know who Guns N' Roses were and liked some of their stuff but, I don't think Velvet Revolver has released anything memorable at all. Is it just a vehicle for a few ex-Guns N' Roses crew to milk their fame?

I'm a huge fan of GNR and VR. VR is comprised of two original GNR members and a third longtime member. VR's singer is from Stone Temple Pilots. VR's second guitarist is from lesser known bands. The "story" of the band is that the three of them jammed together and felt they still had chemistry. I wouldn't really say it's a vehicle for any of them to milk their fame. I thought VR's album was good.

What I assert is that none of those guys has really made any music that sounded as motivated as they did with their other bands. On the other hand, the music that Axl Rose has released (whether or not people like it) seems to have a lot of meaning and depth to it. Lyrically, Axl is as good as ever. And if one listened to the entire GNR collection from Live like a Suicide to the Spaghetti Incident to the songs that will be on Chinese Democracy, one can tell that Axl was the major creative force behind the band.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Astaroth33

They were hard rock. Had some hits on pop radio, but the vast majority was hard rock, regardless of who was the singer.

Correct, and they did some excellent music in their time. However, some people do not understand that metal and hard rock are not identical.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
There should be video of this up by now.

Are you guys slipping?

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Amused

Are you guys slipping?

I don't think its been broadcast on TV yet. When is that happening?

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Slick5150
Originally posted by: Amused

Are you guys slipping?

I don't think its been broadcast on TV yet. When is that happening?
It was broadcast live. VH1 Classic, and MHD.

amicold

Platinum Member
Feb 7, 2005

No Mr. 8481 is right, the problem isn't that VR butchered the songs. The problem is the original band blows just as many chunks, and you have failed to see this.