Discussion So who likes Dark Chocolate? I DO!!!!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
What is wong with Yahoo? I've been using them since I first begin with the Internet.
Well, back in like 2000 when Yahoo results started also returning Google results, I noticed that the Google results were consistently better than the Yahoo results...

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Only about the card game, and never heard or seen Uno dark chocolate bars
Well, guess they're not dark. But I like them. I used to buy them as a kid, one at a time. Bought a box of 24 this summer, allow myself no more than 1/4 bar a day. It's been many years, but they don't seem obviously different from what I got as a kid. Some research revealed that it's a different company that makes them now, guess it was sold. The bars are longer and more slender, but AFAIK essentially otherwise the same.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Love dark choco. 85% and better. So good for you as well.
I'm not buying that, but anything that delicious is good for the morale, and that is good for you! I try not to pig out on it! :D

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I'm not buying that, but anything that delicious is good for the morale, and that is good for you! I try not to pig out on it! :D
I think 85% and higher will keep you from pigging out.:yum:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I think 85% and higher will keep you from pigging out.:yum:
Well, duh. I have a hard time enjoying that high % cocoa solids chocolate. I have some in the cupboard. I had some Dove today, yeah, it's my absolute favorite right now. It's probably 70% if that.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Well, duh. I have a hard time enjoying that high % cocoa solids chocolate. I have some in the cupboard. I had some Dove today, yeah, it's my absolute favorite right now. It's probably 70% if that.
I believe 70% will work as that is still higher then most name brands chocolate bars.

Mar 11, 2004

I bet its barely 50%. Heck, these days it might even be able to get away with less than that when it has other stuff in it (meaning just the chocolate part needs to be at least 50% cacao to be called dark chocolate, but the overall product doesn't need to be 50%, so you could be getting not much cacao at all).

The other thing is, even then, if its processed in a certain way it could still be called high cacao but have much less flavanols in it.

I believe 70% will work as that is still higher then most name brands chocolate bars.

Literally any chocolate will work as far as the idea that eating something with more flavanols in it is healthier. Even milk chocolate has some.

Cacao percentage doesn't tell you everything.

If you want flavanols, I think they probably make supplements. Which they're pretty much the same thing that gets wine touted as being healthy. I think the same thing with tea.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
~65%-70% is the sweet spot. Any more than that I find the texture suffers too much. I just reach for top shelf stuff these days, that way a tiny square satisfies me. I like A. Morin, or Dandelion for domestic.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
~65%-70% is the sweet spot. Any more than that I find the texture suffers too much. I just reach for top shelf stuff these days, that way a tiny square satisfies me. I like A. Morin, or Dandelion for domestic.
Yea, once you've had quality chocolate, (dark or otherwise) Hersey's tastes like a mass produced product and very plain.

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yea, once you've had quality chocolate, (dark or otherwise) Hersey's tastes like a mass produced product and very plain.
The last time I purchased Hershey's cocoa (almost 40 years ago) I actually brought it back to the supermarket and asked for my money back. I am pretty sure I've never done that before or since except for Costco, where it's a policy of theirs. These days I buy only Droste cocoa. It's Dutch alkali processed, but it tastes the best to me and I've tried Callebaut, Pernigotti, Valrhona (3kg for $60 off Amazon, don't know if I'll ever finish it), an organic varietal offered by Costco (yup, I returned that, it didn't even taste like cocoa). Also, Droste cocoa cardboard packaging is the only packaging I've ever experienced that opens perfectly every time.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoodRevrnd

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
The last time I purchased Hershey's cocoa (almost 40 years ago) I actually brought it back to the supermarket and asked for my money back. I am pretty sure I've never done that before or since except for Costco, where it's a policy of theirs. These days I buy only Droste cocoa. It's Dutch alkali processed, but it tastes the best to me and I've tried Callebaut, Pernigotti, Valrhona (3kg for $60 off Amazon, don't know if I'll ever finish it), an organic varietal offered by Costco (yup, I returned that, it didn't even taste like cocoa). Also, Droste cocoa cardboard packaging is the only packaging I've ever experienced that opens perfectly every time.
Sadly, we have no Costco around here, only Sam's club, yeech.

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Well I brought a few bars of Green&Black's Organic 85% Cacao over at Walmart this morning. Just tried a piece and diffenably different from the weaker stuff I'm used too. G&B were also the only brand the wasn't Dutched. And it is FairTrade as well.

A slightly bitter aftertaste.
I have two in my cabinet, one 70%, the other 85%. I tried one rectangle of the 85% yesterday, tasted not nearly as sweet as I like.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I have two in my cabinet, one 70%, the other 85%. I tried one rectangle of the 85% yesterday, tasted not nearly as sweet as I like.
How is the 70%? Walgreens does have high cocoa dark that is sweeten with Stevia but Walmart doesn't.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
How is the 70%? Walgreens does have high cocoa dark that is sweeten with Stevia but Walmart doesn't.
Just tried two rectangles of it. I like it! It's nowhere near as sweet as the Dove Dark I've been sampling regularly. Way different, but I like it.