Discussion So who likes Dark Chocolate? I DO!!!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Seems like most chocolate candy has had dark chocolate versions. Reese's and M&M both have ones as well. Something to keep in mind though, most of them have other things which makes any attempt at eating dark chocolate for health reasons null. So eat those for the flavor and not because of supposed health benefits of dark chocolate as those are very likely not prevalent in those (the chocolate itself is processed in a way that removes much of the flavanols of the cacao).

And of course Milky Way, Snickers, 3 Musketeers, Mounds, etc.

I don't think I've yet seen a dark chocolate Butterfinger though I'm almost certain they've made them.
Well if you can get dark chocolate without any sugars and other bad stuff like 80% or more that only has vanilla, chilies peppers, Stevia, then you can get the full benefits. However eat sparely since it high in calaroes

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
the benefits of dark chocolate are massively overblown and you should be very careful with regards to what information you're looking at on stuff like this as there's a bunch of full blown bullshit out there about health and foods these days

Live well, eat right, stay fit ...... die anyway ?? :p

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
You could chomp on a raw cacao bean and send yourself into a mind-bending hallucinatory trip for a weekend that may or may not result in your death at the end of it.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
My favorite is the Ghirardelli 86%. I tried their 92% but it was too bitter for my tastes.

How do you eat your dark chocolate? You're supposed to let it melt in your mouth, but people just chew it like it's candy.

Reactions: JEDIYoda

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I was on a Dark Chocolate kick for a while, and honestly, I think it really helped my mood. Better than pharmaceuticals would, and much less side effects. (Maybe a little weight gain, but given that prescription drugs often cause far worse weight gain, I think that the calories are minor in comparison.)

I was getting the Dark Chocolate bars as a sale bonus with soda at my local convenience store. (Granted, the soda was probably far less healthy than the Chocolate.)

It also kept me from getting mentally "sluggish", as I do without some form of stimulants, due to the meds I'm on.

I was opening a bar, and eating one square at a time, out of the fridge. Mostly as an in-between meal snack, and while preparing meals. I wasn't pigging out on it, and eating a whole bar at one time.

I forget what, but there's Polyphenals in Dark Chocolate, and like two other things that are supposedly "good" for you, besides the sugar and caffeine.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Your tolerance for the high cocoa solids content (i.e. darker) chocolates is said to be an indication of how healthy you are in terms of not eating too much sugar/carbs.

I'm not great at it. 80% and above isn't sweet enough for me, but I'm not like I was as a kid - I liked milk chocolate. Now, I don't care for milk chocolate all that much.

One of my favorites right now is Dove dark. It's not expensive... I really like it. Also like the Dove dark with almonds. They come in small individually wrapped squares and in bags of around 8oz.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
How do you eat your dark chocolate? You're supposed to let it melt in your mouth, but people just chew it like it's candy.
Well, it is candy, fugod'sake. I think it's absurd to think you're eating health food (or healthy food, really) when you eat chocolate. But there's no denying it, it's wonderful stuff, at least the quality stuff.

Reactions: Captante

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
snoopy7548 said:

I usually purchase my dark chocolate in 1lb bars!!
Then I let it sit a room temperature for 22 minutes!! Not 21 and not 23 , but 22 minutes!
Then I slowly pull the cloth...opps wrappers off the Dark Chocolate!
Then I take a digital scale and divide it into 1/2 ounce pieces!!
Then I take some aluminum foil and re-wrap each piece!!
Then I put the pieces of dark Chocolate in a cool dry place!!
I always suck each piece until it melts in my mouth!! I never chew the chocolate!! I detracts from the multiple flavors that are inherently delicious in the Chocolate!!

Reactions: snoopy7548

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
Hate white chocolate.My dad mistakenly bought 3 kit kats the white kind:S

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Then I let it sit a room temperature for 22 minutes!! Not 21 and not 23 , but 22 minutes!
I always suck each piece until it melts in my mouth!! I never chew the chocolate!! I detracts from the multiple flavors that are inherently delicious in the Chocolate!!

Spit or Swallow? This is the true test...

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Where do you get 1ib bars at? And how much?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I have dark chocolate bars - 10 lb. each!!! Guittard Gourmet Bittersweet. I drove quite a ways to buy them, ~30 miles round trip minimally. I was hipped to this by a chocolate connoisseur online some years ago. Bought them at The Milk Pail in Mountain View, CA. It's infinitely better than any Ghirardelli chocolate I've tasted, and I've tried that stuff quite a few times, never impressed. The Guittard is superior to Callebaut, which I've also bought in bulk, and still have some. It's quite reasonable when bought in bulk as I did.

In my experience, chocolate, at least good chocolate doesn't go bad. I keep it in a cool place.

Recently, I like a couple of commercial chocolate bars, long time favorites of mine (they are terrific): Uno and Heath. I cut a bar into 4 pieces and allow myself a piece a day, no more! @JEDIYoda... I believe you know about Uno! ;)

Last edited:

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I have dark chocolate bars - 10 lb. each!!! Guittard Gourmet Bittersweet. I drove quite a ways to buy them, ~30 miles round trip minimally. I was hipped to this by a chocolate connoisseur online some years ago. Bought them at The Milk Pail in Mountain View, CA. It's infinitely better than any Ghirardelli chocolate I've tasted, and I've tried that stuff quite a few times, never impressed. The Guittard is superior to Callebaut, which I've also bought in bulk, and still have some. It's quite reasonable when bought in bulk as I did.

In my experience, chocolate, at least good chocolate doesn't go bad. I keep it in a cool place.

Recently, I like a couple of commercial chocolate bars, long time favorites of mine (they are terrific): Uno and Heath. I cut a bar into 4 pieces and allow myself a piece a day, no more! @JEDIYoda... I believe you know about Uno! ;)
Only about the card game, and never heard or seen Uno dark chocolate bars

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005

I only eat my dark chocolate with the lights turned down and soft jazz playing in the background.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Where do you get 1ib bars at? And how much?
Out here is California we have a place called Trader Joe`s!
If I recall correctly they care 4 different kinds of 1 lb chocolate bars!
The dark is excellent!!

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

My favorite commercial bar has always been the UNO bar, when i can find them!! I undestand you can get them on Amazon by the box!!

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
My favorite commercial bar has always been the UNO bar, when i can find them!! I undestand you can get them on Amazon by the box!!
Just did a brief web search every brand comes up other then Uno.:rolleyes:What is up with Yahoo not getting the search results I want?:mad:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Just did a brief web search every brand comes up other then Uno.:rolleyes:What is up with Yahoo not getting the search results I want?:mad:
Screenshot-20190908-205330-Fennec-F-Droid.jpg

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I notice that the higher content of cocoa in dark chocolate the price tends to be higher as well.o_O So where can I get some in bulk at a decent discount?

Mar 11, 2004
Well if you can get dark chocolate without any sugars and other bad stuff like 80% or more that only has vanilla, chilies peppers, Stevia, then you can get the full benefits. However eat sparely since it high in calaroes

My point being that I don't think the benefits are that real, or rather are so minor that only if you were to mimic the full lifestyle of the tribe that gets referenced as the measure of supposed positive health affects for generations, would you get the benefits. If it helps you not eat other even worse junk food (I find I eat less candy when its dark chocolate, and not because I don't enjoy it, but it just seems to satiate me more), then it'd be worth it, otherwise people eating dark chocolate for health benefits are almost certainly doing so futilely as in order to get enough cacao you're gonna be eating so much chocolate that you'll sabotage your health in other ways (due to the calorie and saturated fat content), or you'll have to imbibe on the cacao itself which has some issues of its own (I believe it can have properties like quite a few other leafy things) that Zin mentioned.

Live well, eat right, stay fit ...... die anyway ?? :p

I know, who knew? Which, there's gonna be a really interesting point in the probably much nearer than we realize future, where the last generation that can't effectively probably prolong their lives indefinitely is going to be super pissed and try to murder as many of the younger gen as they can.

Your tolerance for the high cocoa solids content (i.e. darker) chocolates is said to be an indication of how healthy you are in terms of not eating too much sugar/carbs.

I'm not great at it. 80% and above isn't sweet enough for me, but I'm not like I was as a kid - I liked milk chocolate. Now, I don't care for milk chocolate all that much.

One of my favorites right now is Dove dark. It's not expensive... I really like it. Also like the Dove dark with almonds. They come in small individually wrapped squares and in bags of around 8oz.

I think its more of an age thing. I used to not be able to stand dark chocolate at all. Then in my 30s I started to enjoy dark chocolate, and mid-30s now and I actually prefer dark chocolate most of the time if its chocolate.

You should have them melt it down into a single large one, that is alternator shaped/sized.

Wait, you don't like Ghiradelli but like Heath bars? Fuck that shit.

Also, the company that makes those Uno bars make the Rocky Road bars I mentioned earlier.

I notice that the higher content of cocoa in dark chocolate the price tends to be higher as well.o_O So where can I get some in bulk at a decent discount?

Well yeah, it has less cacao in it, Buy high cacao baking bars is probably the most cost effective. Then you can do whatever with it (break off pieces, add to other things, or just melt down and put into candy shapes using molds, maybe mix in stuff for flavor or added sweetness if that's what you want).

Now that I think of it, I'm surprised I don't see a lot of chocolate mixed with honey.