Discussion So who likes Dark Chocolate? I DO!!!!

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
So lately I been having rather strong cravings for dark chocolate especially the high quality brands. You know those with chili peppers, Stevia, Vanilla, and other nice stuff. However I haven't tried the 70%, 80%, and 90% dark chocolate. I don't really care that much for milk chocolate ever since I started consuming Dark over ten years ago. 7-11 brand is fairly decent and Walgreens has a decent selection as well.

So of you guys enjoy Dark and thinks it is the best ever?

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I do like dark chocolate, but not the stuff without sugar. Since that's hard to avoid in the "high quality" varieties I haven't explored them too much.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I do like dark chocolate, but not the stuff without sugar. Since that's hard to avoid in the "high quality" varieties I haven't explored them too much.
I had some from Nuts.com that used Stevia instead of Sugar. And they are some with Monk fruit extract as well. I would like to try actual Antec and Mayan Chocolate drink they had doing their times.

Mar 11, 2004
I've started to prefer dark chocolate in candy form. I like the Ghiradelli 72% dark chocolate, and most others in the 60-75% range is good. 80% and above is a bit much for me still though. I've seen some more generic brands (Wal-Mart and I think 99 Cents stores) that are ok, and cheaper (not drastically so, but like $2 instead of $2.50).

I like the Thin Dark Chocolate Reese's. And dark chocolate Kit Kats are good. Another fave is dark chocolate Rocky Roads (basically thin layer of dark chocolate over marshmallow and I think a couple of cashewas).

I've been buying some frozen chocolate dipped bananas (Diana's Bananas Banana Babies). I had initially just tried the milk chocolate version (as it was the only one available when I first saw them, but then other stores had dark chocolate), and it wasn't all that good, but I like the dark chocolate ones. The packaging makes me a little bit uncomfortable though (has two monkeys...kinda reminds me of people doing black face and of course the general racism of calling black people monkeys). Oh and let them thaw out a bit (like ~15 minutes, softens them up just enough, but don't thaw too much as they get mushy and kinda nasty if its too long). Fry's (Kroger) puts them on their "buy 5 save $5" sales, where you can get them for $3 a box (they're normally like $5 a box which is stupid expensive).

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
From some reading, in order to get the most benefit from dark chocolate you need 80% Dark with no sugars or milk products at all. Stevia is fine as is Vanilla and Chilies peppers. And certain dried fruits as well.

Hard to find but they are out there.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I do sometimes enjoy dark chocolate however I must admit I still prefer the high-quality milk-variety mostly.

Frankly I don't eat chocolate to be healthy, I eat it when I get the late-night munchies and all I care about is taste.

Reactions: Ken g6

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Yeah I prefer dark chocolate over milk. I'm not into the super intense ass varieties, though. I'm satisfied by just normal dark chocolate (like Hersey's dark chocolate).

Reactions: Ken g6

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I like dark chocolate, all the way up into the 80%+ range.
I also like good milk chocolate.
And white chocolate.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Went through a phase 10ish years ago when I did. Prefer Milk Chocolate these days or occasionally White Chocolate, but Dark/x% I pass on. Most that I tried were Lindt.

Mar 11, 2004
From some reading, in order to get the most benefit from dark chocolate you need 80% Dark with no sugars or milk products at all. Stevia is fine as is Vanilla and Chilies peppers. And certain dried fruits as well.

Hard to find but they are out there.

The thing is the benefits of dark chocolate are massively overblown and you should be very careful with regards to what information you're looking at on stuff like this as there's a bunch of full blown bullshit out there about health and foods these days, but even the legit stuff doesn't tell us a lot (a fair amount of dark chocolate studies references certain population that consumes high amounts, but there's a lot of other factors that play a role as well that could explain the variance in health they're seeing there). Now, if you're able to cut out other junk food by eating dark chocolate, then yeah its probably good for you, but if you think adding dark chocolate to your normal diet will be I kinda doubt it, especially if it exacerbates high consumption of sweetened foods or stuff high in saturated fats. Kinda like how sure veggies are healthy and so eating more is good, but if you do that by drowning them in ranch dressing (or your fruit intake is dried and maybe even sweetened fruits - like out of the can where its saturated with juice and even sugar), you very well might not end up eating healthier and possibly even eating less healthy.

I'm not sure what you're talking about with regards to vanilla or chili peppers or dried fruit being "fine". I'm guessing you mean less sugar, but I don't think that's necessarily true. Especially the fruit. The higher the cacao% the less sugar it will have (which they do sometimes add in vanilla and some other to try and help the taste, but that's pretty common across the board in dark chocolate stuff, so it doesn't mean they're using vanilla instead of sugar).

Mar 11, 2004
Twix and Kit Kat have both been (and may currently be) available in dark chocolate form!

Seems like most chocolate candy has had dark chocolate versions. Reese's and M&M both have ones as well. Something to keep in mind though, most of them have other things which makes any attempt at eating dark chocolate for health reasons null. So eat those for the flavor and not because of supposed health benefits of dark chocolate as those are very likely not prevalent in those (the chocolate itself is processed in a way that removes much of the flavanols of the cacao).

And of course Milky Way, Snickers, 3 Musketeers, Mounds, etc.

I don't think I've yet seen a dark chocolate Butterfinger though I'm almost certain they've made them.