Discussion So, who enjoys soy foods?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
You must have had miso soup, which is made with miso, a fermented soy bean paste, usually with tofu, seaweed, bonito shaving and scallion. Some times dry smelts instead of bonito shaving due to cost.
Forgot about miso soup. I love thst stuff. I usually add Tabasco to it.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I wonder if I can find stinky Tofu near where I live? St Louis maybe? I would like to try it for my birthday. What are the best topping/sauces to use with some?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Yeah no one is likely to eat it that way unless that was the only food available.

BTW, isn't tofu fairly cheap from Asian Markets? And it is the chain stores that are expensive.

Tofu is not expensive. At least the ones in plastic tubs. The ones sealed in plastic containers have longer shelf life unopened. Changing the water daily does help extend life for the ones in a tub. Though it is best to consume right away, like all produce.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I wonder if I can find stinky Tofu near where I live? St Louis maybe? I would like to try it for my birthday. What are the best topping/sauces to use with some?

I wouldn't expect stinky tofu to be in St. Louis. You need a large enough Taiwanese population to find it. It always comes with sauce and pickled veggies. You can add minced garlic if you like.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I wouldn't expect stinky tofu to be in St. Louis. You need a large enough Taiwanese population to find it. It always comes with sauce and pickled veggies. You can add minced garlic if you like.
I thought stinky tofu was invented by the Chinese?

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I really want to try tempeh. I doubt they even carry it here in the grocery stores.

I fix tofu the lazy way. I put various seasonings in a container then add my cut up tofu and give it a gentle shake. Then I add a little oil and give it another gentle shake. I then put it in the air fryer, shake halfway and then let it finish cooking. I'm still not big on the spongy center but I'm getting used to it. I also like to dip the cooked pieces in Texas Pete hot sauce.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I really want to try tempeh. I doubt they even carry it here in the grocery stores.

I fix tofu the lazy way. I put various seasonings in a container then add my cut up tofu and give it a gentle shake. Then I add a little oil and give it another gentle shake. I then put it in the air fryer, shake halfway and then let it finish cooking. I'm still not big on the spongy center but I'm getting used to it. I also like to dip the cooked pieces in Texas Pete hot sauce.

Try pan frying them to create crust on all sides first, then add in soy sauce, sugar and scallion, some water to finish.

Something like this.
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/07/pan-fried-tofu-with-dark-sweet-soy-sauce-recipe.html

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Try pan frying them to create crust on all sides first, then add in soy sauce, sugar and scallion, some water to finish.

Something like this.
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/07/pan-fried-tofu-with-dark-sweet-soy-sauce-recipe.html
Thanks. I've been wanting to try cooking it other ways but I usually end up doing it the lazy way. I think you can coat them in corn starch or similar to make it crispier. I've also heard of freezing the tofu the night before.

Another thing I want is an inexpensive press. Not sure if it's cheaper to buy or make one.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Lately, just soy sauce (reduced sodium). Used to make tempeh in the kitchen with soy beans. Tempeh's a fun project, not hard when you figure it out. It's basic in Indonesia. The Book of Tempeh got me going. High quality cheap protein, is a vegetarian source of B12 too.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I like grilling tofu, but haven't done it in awhile. Cube it, marinade it awhile(at least a couple hours, overnight is better), put on skewers with vegetables, place on grill. Flip every so often, and keep adding marinade til it's gone. Once it has a bit of a crust, it's done.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Thanks. I've been wanting to try cooking it other ways but I usually end up doing it the lazy way. I think you can coat them in corn starch or similar to make it crispier. I've also heard of freezing the tofu the night before.

Another thing I want is an inexpensive press. Not sure if it's cheaper to buy or make one.

I can buy the iceberg tofu (the frozen stuff) in the supermarket here. Idea is the water expansion makes holes in the tofu. This is mainly used in soups or hotpot.

I would just deep fry fresh tofu. Cube it, deep fry, then add a stir fried sauce on top. Sauce consists of chilli flakes, soy sauce, sugar, scallion, garlic, potatoe starch and zha cai.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zha_cai

Last edited:

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I can buy the iceberg tofu (the frozen stuff) in the supermarket here. Idea is the water expansion makes holes in the tofu. This is mainly used in soups or hotpot.

I would just deep fry fresh tofu. Cube it, deep fry, then add a stir fried sauce on top. Sauce consists of chilli flakes, soy sauce, sugar, scallion, garlic, potatoe starch and zha cai.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zha_cai
Never heard of iceberg tofu or zha cai. Living in small town WV does have it's disadvantages. I'll have to try adding a sauce to my cooked tofu. It does sound tasty just thinking about it.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Never heard of iceberg tofu or zha cai. Living in small town WV does have it's disadvantages. I'll have to try adding a sauce to my cooked tofu. It does sound tasty just thinking about it.

Well I don't get tomacco here :awe:

I called it iceberg tofu, it's just called frozen tofu I think. Iceberg tofu is like beautified name or something.

Last edited: