Discussion So who enjoys eating Sauerkraut?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Cyco

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2002
What is wrong with sauerkraut?
Hint:

Don't get the canned stuff.
Buy real raw sauerkraut.
Don't rinse.
Avoid vinegar based crap.
Yeah, probably just have had crap kraut. Stuff that I had long ago tasted like rotten um....stuff. I suppose it''s one of those things where you had a bad introduction to it and it's ruined from there on out.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
As a kid we would add sugar to our sauerkraut. We also had sauerkraut and cut up wieners. Probably also had it with fried SPAM.

I might have to boil some potatoes and carrots and serve them with kraut tomorrow.
Adding sugar, even brown sugar only ruins good sauerkraut.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Yeah, probably just have had crap kraut. Stuff that I had long ago tasted like rotten um....stuff. I suppose it''s one of those things where you had a bad introduction to it and it's ruined from there on out.
Get the stuff that comes in a bag. Store brands are usually fine, but read the ingredients first.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018

Yeah it was like that the first time i tried deer meat, the guy who made it did not know what he was doing so for ages i avoided any deer meat cause it was that bad . A neighbor of mine finally convinced me his deer jerky and deer steaks were worth trying and wow were they ever good. The jerky was almost candy like cause it was so sweet and tender and the steak was out of this world . The secret to game meat is adding additional fat so the meat isn't so tough so wrapping it in bacon usually helped make amazing deer meat.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
We were kids. The smell alone keeps most from even trying a bite. Sugar was a good way to tame the taste and get us to try something new.
I just found out that apple slices go well with the sauerkraut when cooking them with the sausage. However even when I was a kid I enjoyed S&S and Ruben sandwiches.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I just found out that apple slices go well with the sauerkraut when cooking them with the sausage. However even when I was a kid I enjoyed S&S and Ruben sandwiches.
Apples do sound good. We may have served it will applesauce. I have both so I may try them tomorrow. In addition I have some pineapple which I need to get rid of. I would say anything sweet might be good to try with sauerkraut.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I'm not a big fan of apple, or anything that attenuates the sour really. I'll eat it if that's how it's served, but won't make it that way myself.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I'm not a big fan of apple, or anything that attenuates the sour really. I'll eat it if that's how it's served, but won't make it that way myself.
Well I never had it with apple before, but I for sure don't like sugar in it.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I'm not a big fan of it. I do like it on Reubens. We did get some for brats that Trader Joes had that was really good. Not quite as sour as normal.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I'm not a big fan of it. I do like it on Reubens. We did get some for brats that Trader Joes had that was really good. Not quite as sour as normal.
This just IMHO but Sauerkraut goes quite well with Reubens and other Corned Beef sandwiches. I don't think I ever tried any with brats however. Maybe I'll buy some brats instead of Polish Sausage. I don't know if I want to try apple with this or not.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
So what are the best brands of raw sauerkraut? I'm eating a Kroger brand 32 oz bag of it.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Apples do sound good. We may have served it will applesauce. I have both so I may try them tomorrow. In addition I have some pineapple which I need to get rid of. I would say anything sweet might be good to try with sauerkraut.
What about using apple butter instead?

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Just wondering, but how much sauerkraut is eating too much? Those of you here who consume this regularly, how much do you consume every week? I can see myself going through a 32oz bag a week or even faster then that.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
It's too much if it gives you problems. I don't think there's health concerns regarding (reasonable)high consumption. I believe I may have read there's /something/ bad that occurs in fermented food. Couldn't say what it is. It didn't register on my Giv-A-Fuck-O-Meter, so I haven't changed anything I do. You might want to poke around the web, and see if you see anything bad. My memory isn't what it used to be, and I read a lot of stuff. I could just be confused.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
It's too much if it gives you problems. I don't think there's health concerns regarding (reasonable)high consumption. I believe I may have read there's /something/ bad that occurs in fermented food. Couldn't say what it is. It didn't register on my Giv-A-Fuck-O-Meter, so I haven't changed anything I do. You might want to poke around the web, and see if you see anything bad. My memory isn't what it used to be, and I read a lot of stuff. I could just be confused.
I have to watch my salt intake due to high blood pressure.