Discussion So who enjoys eating Sauerkraut?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
I fell in love with that the first time I tried some on a hot dog. Or was it brats?

Good on either but if its a dog its got to be Nathans all Beef. Oh man its better then a dodger dog if you ever had one.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Good on either but if its a dog its got to be Nathans all Beef. Oh man its better then a dodger dog if you ever had one.
I had really good all beef hog dogs before. A bit pricey though, and can be hard to find depending on where you shop. Brats are easier to get.

I'm going to put some sauerkraut on a hamburger next. I already eaten half a 32Oz bag of it alreacdy, and I purchased the bag on Sunday.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Yeah I used to get kimchi from Shop n Save before they close their stores. Unless I want to pay Schnooks prices or unless the local Walmart carries that, I'm going to have to settle for sauerkraut. I do enjoy it but I'm missing taste of kimchi.

I love fresh homemade Kimchi ( not store bought ). My mother in law used to work at a Korean Deli and the old korean couple that owned it made their own fermented kimchi. That was some good stuff!

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
While I do enjoy eating sauerkraut by itself, it does seem to go best with meats, like corned beef and sausages. Drat I should have brought some Polish sausage when I picked up the sauerkraut Sunday. I haven't had that dish in awhile.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Anyone had red sauerkraut before? All that I've seen that is available is the regular stuff. I have eaten purple cabbage before and I would have sworn that it tastes better then the green variety does.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
I had really good all beef hog dogs before. A bit pricey though, and can be hard to find depending on where you shop. Brats are easier to get.

I'm going to put some sauerkraut on a hamburger next. I already eaten half a 32Oz bag of it alreacdy, and I purchased the bag on Sunday.

All beef dogs are really worth it, the pork ones make me want to puke honestly especially something like bar s lol . As far as on a burger i never tried but i bet it would be good too . Roasted buns with ranch flavored hand packed patties with sauerkraut sound amazing right now . Add in a home made mac sauce and it would only be heavenily maybe?

Last edited:

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
All beef dogs are really worth it, the pork ones make me want to puke honestly especially something like bar s lol . As far as on a burger i never tried but i bet it would be good too . Roasted buns with ranch flavored hand packed panties with sauerkraut sound amazing right now . Add in a home made mac sauce and it would only be heavenily maybe?

LOL, Hand Packed Panties. :D

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I'm going to check and see if Ruler Foods has any bratwurst so I can eat that with sauerkraut. I haven't seen any there. but I haven't looked either.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
So how well do potatoes go with sausage and sauerkraut? I notice that a lot of meat and sauerkraut dishes also include taters with them.

I will have to try that. Or next time I microwave potatoes, put sauerkraut on them. Sound any good?

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
We make our own. Most store bought ones do contain vinegar which makes it terrible and not really real sauerkraut.

We use salt only and let it self ferment. Bestest stuff ever and very healthy that way.

Go sauerkraut.

PS.
My fav recipe - add olive oil, diced onion, grated carrot and apple. Let sit overnight for flavors to mix.

I roll my own too so to speak. I like to let the little micro-critters do their work in sourdough, sauerkraut, pepper sauces and half and full sour pickles.

The kraut I use with home made pastrami and corned beef, as well as brauts. I need to make some rye...

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
So how well do potatoes go with sausage and sauerkraut? I notice that a lot of meat and sauerkraut dishes also include taters with them.

I will have to try that. Or next time I microwave potatoes, put sauerkraut on them. Sound any good?
great combo. we had corned beef, cabbage, and red potatoes in the instant pot recently.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Yeah I used to get kimchi from Shop n Save before they close their stores. Unless I want to pay Schnooks prices or unless the local Walmart carries that, I'm going to have to settle for sauerkraut. I do enjoy it but I'm missing taste of kimchi.
No asian grocers in the area?

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Sauerkraut is absolutely FANTASTIC for braising. Use it with pork chops or chicken and you'll have a great meal:

-Season chicken or bone-in pork chops with salt, pepper, and thyme (add some caraway seed if you want authentic German flavor).
-Sear the meat on all sides in an oven-proof pan.
-Remove the meat, add some chopped carrot and onion to the pan and scrape up any stuck bits on the bottom of the pan.
-Add the meat back to the pan, then add the sauerkraut on top. 2 lbs should be enough for a whole chicken or 5-6 pork chops.
-Bring to a boil, then cover and put pan in a 375F oven for 30 minutes.
-Raise heat to 400, uncover, and bake for another 10-15 minutes until you see the top layer start to brown a bit.

Remove from the oven and let it sit for 10 minutes covered before eating. The acid in the vinegar will tenderize the meat to a level you've never had before...it's one of my favorite comfort foods! This goes brilliantly with mashed potatoes and green beans.

If you want to jazz it up even more, add some 1000 Island Salad Dressing to the sauerkraut before cooking and it will make a "reuben casserole." I love doing this with chicken breasts!

Cyco

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2002
I personally find sauerkraut disgusting, but to each their own. I also enjoy ketchup on hot dogs and prefer Miracle Whip over mayonnaise, so I suppose my tastebuds might be a bit out of whack.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I personally find sauerkraut disgusting, but to each their own. I also enjoy ketchup on hot dogs and prefer Miracle Whip over mayonnaise, so I suppose my tastebuds might be a bit out of whack.
What is wrong with sauerkraut?
Hint:

Don't get the canned stuff.
Buy real raw sauerkraut.
Don't rinse.
Avoid vinegar based crap.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
As a kid we would add sugar to our sauerkraut. We also had sauerkraut and cut up wieners. Probably also had it with fried SPAM.

I might have to boil some potatoes and carrots and serve them with kraut tomorrow.