So when will Republicans Invite the Pope to stop by again?

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
If they keep wringing their hands long enough, eventually the Church will get all the blood off.

Jan 25, 2011
The Catholic church has been anti-death penalty for as long as I can remember. Evangelical churches, I'm not really sure.
Nope.

The church previously viewed the death penalty, carried out by a legitimate authority after a fair trial, as an “appropriate response to the gravity of certain crimes and an acceptable, albeit extreme, means of safeguarding the common good”, according to a Vatican statement.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Perhaps the church has finally recognized that humans are fallible and sometimes judges and juries make mistakes when judging the guilt of their fellow man?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I'm not religious but this particular pope would not turn me off from being religious. If he can clean up the church and its predatory behavior with children, I'd nominate him for sainthood!

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
I'm not religious but this particular pope would not turn me off from being religious. If he can clean up the church and its predatory behavior with children, I'd nominate him for sainthood!
You can't expect miracles...

Mar 11, 2004
The thing is, though, isn't he not very well liked by the Catholic power structure? Didn't he also say similar on other topics when other higher ups have said they don't agree with that view (although much of that they weren't willing to do openly). I think the view of him by average Catholics is pretty split.

I think that's just formalizing a view held by most Catholics for a while. At least the ones I know.

The church has never been accused of being nimble when reacting to changing social conditions.

You know very different Catholics than I. Many of the ones I know are fine with the death penalty and actually are ones that wouldn't mind expanding it as a crime deterrent ("a bullet would sure save a lot of money compared to feeding and housing someone in prison").