So whats the play now? Stuck on 670

Xarick

Golden Member
May 17, 2006
I have been eeking my 670 out for an extra year.. it would appear that was a mistake. I can no longer afford a 1070 which is what I had budgeted my cash for. I have gotten to where I can run things, but have to turn settings down.. am I out of PC gaming for a while? are there other options? Will people wake up and realize ether isn't worth crap?

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have been eeking my 670 out for an extra year.. it would appear that was a mistake. I can no longer afford a 1070 which is what I had budgeted my cash for. I have gotten to where I can run things, but have to turn settings down.. am I out of PC gaming for a while? are there other options? Will people wake up and realize ether isn't worth crap?
Nah, just wait a few more months when the new batch comes out (not sure if it will be 1170 or a new name scheme). The miners will stop buying 1070's in a heartbeat if the new cards are faster (which we already know they should be from the V100 performance data).

Also, the miners are not going away any time soon at least. Too many people became billionaires from bitcoin and ether already (i.e. buying 10s of thousands when they were worth pennies... I keep kicking myself everytime I see bitcoin's current value since I had a 1000 of them when they were worth about $7-8 total and gave them away). If I still had them they would be worth $4.3million.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2006

As @DooKey said, used 980 Ti is a good option. Same perf as 1070 but you sacrifice some power efficiency.

Xarick

Golden Member
May 17, 2006
The 980tis around me all seem to be $300+
Seems like a lot for a used card. Where do you find them for a reasonable price?

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
The 980tis around me all seem to be $300+
Seems like a lot for a used card. Where do you find them for a reasonable price?

It is a lot for a used card, but it's also your best option right now. I sold my 980Ti for $320 and bought a 1080Ti. You can save a few $$$ by going with a 6GB 1060, but you're probably talking like $40 or so less but it's also a lower performing card. The up side is that it's actually a decent Ethereum miner if you're into that sort of thing.